DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A question from TGH

Tsunami

Re-reading the books in anticipation of The Gathering Storm.... and was reminded of something that has bothered me in the past.

Chapter 7, 1st page... Moiraine thinks to herself about Mat "He is not necessary with the Horn gone, and yet..."

This has baffled me.  Mat isn't at this point linked to the Horn, is he?

I think it means that he is not needed since the Horn is gone.

The thought was before he was linked to the Horn.

If he was linked at that point and Moiraine knew so, I imagine the thought would have been different.

I'm thinkin her at the moment is thinkin of Matt's role in the way things are unfolding at the time she doesn't believe he is that important to keep an eye on  since Rand is the dragon an yet she is starting to get glimmers of how important Matt an Perrin are ;)

eh just more speculation , thats my humble guess  ;D

I think it means that he is not needed since the Horn is gone.

The thought was before he was linked to the Horn.

If he was linked at that point and Moiraine knew so, I imagine the thought would have been different.

I'm saying she is making a contradictory statement.  We all know Mat does get linked to the Horn at the end of TGH, but he is not at that point in the story.

I think this must have been a mistake by Jordan.

It's been a little while since I read TGH, but I think Moiraine had planned to use Mat as the Hornsounder or at least as the horn bearer so that she could "anchor" him to Rand.  I could be way off base though.

• Community Administrator

It might be a mistake, but I think we need to remember that Moiraine knows A LOT more than we think she does.  When she goes into the rings at Rhuidean, she says some things she knew already.  She's emersed herself in the Prophecies of the Dragon, went into the doorway ter'angreal in Tear, and went into the rings in Rhuidean, there are (I'm sure) countless other things Moiraine had researched and/or gathered in the 20+ years she searched for Rand.  I think it is a fault of the reader to assume Moiraine (or any character) only knows what we see them learn.

~Mashiara

No, Moiraine did not plan to use Mat as the Hornsounder. She originally intended to use him and Perrin to lure Rand into agreeing to take the Horn to Illian. In her original plan that was how Rand would be announced Dragon--he would come to Illian with the Horn, announce himself, and have the Illianers fall in line.

Mat and Perrin were the lures. With the Horn gone neither were specifically nessasary anymore.

And Mat was still linked to the dagger.  She was going to use that as the hook to keep him close.

Mo and Suian intended for Rand to be the hornsounder.  Suian thought about letting Mat die so the link could be broken and she could chose a puppet hornsounder.

Archived