DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heartburn (Attn Edana)

Sangreal

Not wanting to give away that he could cook... rather well for that matter... he started out with simple eggs and pulled out several glass jars of spices he kept which made him turn red when she saw that he did keep detailed cooking utensils with him. He figured omelets and potatoes would work and there wouldnt be much room to show off with that. As he settled into a routine he pulled out two sausages to add to it and looked at Edana to give her a dont ask as far as what the sausages were made of. He would have her let her taste buds be the judge.

He started whistling "The Wench and the Wagon Driver" which was a song about an Aes Sedai who pretended to be a Tavern Wench to charm a handsome wagon driver she was smitten with to become her Warder... it wasnt popular around Tower... probably had a degree of truth to it knowing the Aes Sedai.

Before he knew it he was flipping omelets and knives and various other utensils and didnt notice until he was done what he had been doing... which caused him to turn red again.

"Uhm... yeah eat up..."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edana felt her eyes widen as she watched him work. She knew what he was making, though she was a little surprised to see more than the normal spices and utensils packed in his sack. She shook her head and smiled at her plate as he set it in front of her.

"Well, it's good that someone in your family can cook. I'd imagine the lot of you would starve if you left Sandre to the task." She grinned and took a bite, not faking the sigh of pleasure at the flavor. "Light help, but I'd dump Sandre in a minute for a breakfast like this every morning!"

She was joking, of course, but it was sorely tempting. "I'm nearly jealous of this Aes Sedai who keeps drawing your thoughts inward."

~Edana

Dante was wishing he could get the color out of his face. "I just dabble a bit..." she didnt seem to be buying into that. "Sandre has talent at it too... I never knew a man who cold hard boil an egg to be harder than your teeth or make something as expensive as rack of lamb taste like bland chicken." he didnt laugh or smile but rather stayed straight faced and took a few bites to emphasize that he was serious.

"He tries... he tried hard in his cooking class... you should have seen him in the apron... it was too small for someone of his height. A man who sees everything as a battle shouldnt be in a kitchen. I think he actually lost."

He grimaced that he used too much butter in the potatoes... tasted good but wasnt very healthy.

"As for the Aes Sedai well... she gets her food from the Tower cooks."

Edana fought the urge to laugh as long as she could, but in the end, she failed miserably. She tried to picture Sandre in a little white apron, but it was far too funny for her to take seriously. When she could breathe again, she finished her breakfast.

She waited until he had a mouthful of potatoes before she said anything, though. "You sound rather melancholy about that. Are you sure there's nothing more to this Aes Sedai than a pretty face?"

~Edana

Dante swallowed hard when she brought up the Aes Sedai. "Cant forget anything I have experienced... can you imagine how much a pretty face can haunt your dreams? For now she is just that, a pretty face. Havent had a chance for much else and have only caught the rough side of her tongue so far.

(There went my good mood for the day. Lets talk about your failures this morning Dante.) he thought.

He started picking at his food at that point. He ate most of it. "So is this pick on Dante's shortcomings morning?" he said with a small, rather meek smile.

"I didnt see it posted on the announcement board when we left." He was playing of course but he also wanted her to know she hit a nerve.

Edana felt her eyebrows arch at his defensive response. "Every day is pick on a Kaldun Day on my calendar, little brother. You really should've known that already."

She turned her eyes away, letting them get a little distant. "As for faces swimming in your thoughts all day, I can more than relate to that." She didn't mention that thoughts of his brother had kept her awake all night, for instance. "It's worse when it's more than just a face, though. The memories are even more haunting when..." she stopped and shook her head. "Nevermind. I'm haunted enough, I don't need more."

She finished her breakfast in silence, then moved to help him clean up his cooking supplies and gave their plates a quick wash before helping him stow them away. By then, it was time to start the fires and she sighed, allowing herself to drown her thoughts in the menial task of adding the cart full of trash to the fire at an even pace to keep the fire from getting out of control. It wasn't long until her thoughts were wandering again and she was barely paying attention to what she was doing.

~Edana

The work was mind numbing. Dig a large hole, burn the trash until sunset when the fire dies down, cover the hole back up. It was a lot better than just burying it or burning it half way as it left the land a bit more fertile. Edana seemed a bit in a zone and didnt even notice when Dante moved their camp a bit closer to the river and set up his blanket stretched out on two poles so she could strip to bathe and and get dressed without several dozen dirty men eye balling her. Even Dante wasnt comfortable with that idea. She was like a sister because she had been Sandres girl but he wasnt so settled brother and sister like to be able to be unmoved if she undressed in front of him. Nope. He would stand guard for her... on the other side of the blanket.

When he finished and even bathed himself he found her stamping the ground... totally unneeded but he shook her from her trance.

"Edana... were done... lets go." He led her first by the arm until she walked without coaxing to where he set up the camp. "No tub... but it should help."

"Edana... we're done...let's go..." Dante's voice filtered through her thoughts and she blinked a few times before looking up at him. Her mind had wrapped itself warmly in the night she'd made good on her bet with Sandre. The music filled her thoughts, the feel of his arms around her...

She snapped out of it as Dante stopped before the makeshift camp he'd created. She turned and smiled at him, giving him a brief, but tight hug before moving behind his bedroll to undress. The water felt heavenly and she sighed when she stepped into it. She wasn't terribly modest, but it felt nice knowing she wouldn't have to hear the comments she usually got in the bath house. She found herself humming as she took her quick bath and stepped out, wrapping herself in a towel she'd snagged from the bath house before they left. She dried herself off and snaked her hand out to her pack to retrieve the change of clothes she'd brought with her. She smiled as she stepped out from behind the bedroll in fresh clothes.

"Dinner's on me, I guess?" She laughed softly. "Go on, get washed up. I'll have something for you to eat by the time you get out."

She knew the Captain set to oversee their progress had been supplied with food for them, so she set off to procure some. He let it go a little reluctantly, but made her promise to make enough for him before he passed it to her. The cook was, apparently, not the best at his job. She smiled and set about cooking the steak, seasoning it the way her brothers had always liked and humming as she roasted the limp veggies right next to the steak. By the time Dante was out, she was just returning from handing the Captain his plate.

"Feeling better?" She asked, reaching for his plate and passing it to him.

~Edana

Dante sat down and began to tear into the food. He didnt really stop to talk much considering he had not ate since breakfast. (Sandre doesnt know what he is missing.) he thought.

"Your a good cook." he said as he nodded.

Going back to the plate he remembered that Sandre knew all to well what he was missing and felt it every moment of every day. Awake and asleep. Dante was at least spared the dreams when he took a woman until he couldnt move any more. He felt bad as he wasnt that type of guy but it was restricted between a few women rather than a new one every night.

"What a team we make huh? Fight together, get in trouble together, could start a great tavern if the Guard thing doesnt work out and both miserable because because the ones who could fill that hole in our lives are unobtainable."

He had to smile at the luck though. Neither one had to go through it alone.

Edana had started to smile as he started listing all of the things they were good at, but her smile fell at his reminder that, as much as she dreamed of Sandre's attention, there was a very real possibility that she'd never feel it again. Dante was still smiling, though, so she dipped her head towards her plate, hiding her sudden loss of appetite.

"At least we're heading back to town in the morning. Do you think they'll send us right back out again or give us a rest to cover our duties?" She didn't want it to feel like she was being so obvious changing the subject, but she couldn't think of anything else to say that was tinged with pain.

~Edana

Dante nodded. "This is too high risk of sickness. They will want us near an Aes Sedai for a couple days I am sure. Plus digging all day wears on the muscles and they dont want everyone back damaged too badly. They are going to force us to drink double water I am sure as well." It was a long list of things that went with this. Dante didnt mind the water so much but sitting there for a couple days would be boring.

"You changed the subject... I would surprise the Amyrilin by flashing my manhood and then tongue kissing her to be able to walk up to Rasheta and be able to just take her as my own like you could do with middle brother."

Her eyes were on her plate so with a finger he tilted her head up by the chin. "You both still love each other, but if you dont walk up and knock some sense into him for leaving I will be disappointed in you." he said with a smile. "We are of course assuming my theory of you two being meant to be is correct. Otherwise you wont likely encounter him again."

Dante went back to his plate and took a few more bites before sitting it down. "Hes changed... hes grown... a lot. You wont have nearly as many problems as before but at the same time I feel sorry for the man who lays a hand on you or says a bad word about you. If he had seen you and Bryiam in that situation today Bryiam would be in trouble even if he though you were cheating on him." Dante shrugged. That degree of being over protective could also be a problem but it seemed as though that is what Edana had really needed all along. He hoped she agreed.

Edana tried to smile. Dante's fingers under her chin didn't give her much of a chance to break free, though. Him speaking of more personal things didn't help, either. The memories were truly far too fresh. She sighed, trying to picture the sweet man who'd left and compare him to the man his brother swore he'd become. Was that what she wanted?

She closed her eyes and pulled away, looking down at the plate balanced on her knees. "I would give anything to hold him again," she said softly. "The memory of his scent has nearly driven me mad today. It robbed me of another night's sleep, already."

She shrugged and sighed, turning her thoughts away from Sandre almost physically. "What is it about this Aes Sedai, Rasheta? that haunts you so much, Dante?"

~Edana

Dante smiled. "I dreamed about her before I ever met her. I dreamed about the day I met her and everything happened perfectly... until I actually talked to her. Rather than starting a friendship that day that would one day lead to more she hated me... tolerated me really. She called me to her room a few months later and got angry with me again. Havent talked to her since but that doesnt stop the dreams."

It was weak to allow someone to get to you over one coincidental dream but he didnt really care. He wasnt sure why he cared for her so much. It just came natural when he met her.

"You sleep tonight. Tomorrow we just take the carts back. It will be easy."

Edana shook her head. "Makes me nearly want to hunt her down to get a good look, myself!" she said, laughter lingering in her voice. "She must be a sight to have you all in knots so quickly."

She eyed her bedroll and sighed. "I didn't lose sleep for any noble purpose, Dante. There's no reason for you to sacrifice your sleep for it." She doubted he'd be swayed, but she felt she had to try, anyway. "you need your strength as much as I, regardless of what tomorrow's workload brings."

~Edana

Dante nodded to her comment about Rasheta being a sight. She was. "She wont be hard to find. Look for all the staring Tower Guards and trainees. As for sleep Im not going to have any problems but you shouldnt be up a second day in a row. So go to sleep... or I will make you sleep." The last he said with a devilish grin.

He folded his arms and waited for her to lay down with raised eyebrows. He wasnt going to take no for an answer.

Edana laughed, shaking her head. "Make me sleep, eh?" She asked. She was tempted to test him, just out of curiosity. She settled for shaking her head again and waving him off. "Because I fear you so greatly, I'll take my rest with thanks."

She smirked and stretched out on her back on her bedroll, staring up at the stars overhead. "My father used to say there was a star in heaven for every soul on the Earth," she said softly. "He said that stars appeared in places at different times of the year and they move to suit them, so they're surrounded by the other stars that love them. Do you suppose my star has moved so very much?"

It was the question of a tired woman and she wasn't even awake to hear his answer.

~Edana

Dante nodded his head when she gave in. Which was good since he didnt really want to have to drug her. The question about the star made him turn to look at her again. "More than you know Edana." he answered as he pulled her blanket over her shoulders. It was going to be a cold night even with the fire since they had  been in the middle of flames all day then took a cold dip in the river.

His night was spent thinking of Rasheta and watching Edana's steady breaths.

Breakfast was ready by the time she was awake. He wasnt sure how she felt about oats. Some considered it horse food only. However he had cinnamon, honey, and a certain brown sugar that was hard to find to add to it. He also had some fresh fruit. It was nothing like yesterdays breakfast but he had let her sleep in a bit and wouldnt have time for anything like that.

When she stirred he looked over to her. "Good morning."

Edana clenched her eyes closed tighter to hold the wonderful dream she'd been having inside. The cruel morning pulled her away, though and she sighed reluctantly. She sat up and stretched, hearing Dante's voice carrying to her. She turned and smiled at him, accepting the bowl he handed her. She wrinkled her brow and looked at the concoction he'd created. It smelled heavenly, even though it looked like horse feed. She waited for him to start eating before she did, making sure he wasn't teasing her with actual horse feed. The contents were surprisingly good together and she settled in to eating breakfast as she looked around the camp.

"So, what training awaits you on your return to the Tower?" she asked. "You said we'd have a few days between duties here, after all. I doubt seriously they'll be days of relaxing and trying to forget this joy."

~Edana