DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Out with the old, in with the new

My theology prof came up with this theory. To tell the truth, I don't know if he was being serious, but I like it. Padan Fain becomes the new DO. He has the evil from both the DO and SL and can do some pretty wicked stuff. Ha! Wicked... The problem here is, how will the current DO be disposed of and how will PF be imprisoned.

interesting theory. However, the dark one is an eternal... could you see someone really, really, good getting promoted to creator.. I think not. Also, part of the evil in Fain comes from Mordeith, and Shadar Logoth. Though extremely evil it was born of hatred for the dark and was gradually warped over time. i suspect, that without the dark one, the hatred, and the evil attached, would lose purpose, and quickly disapate. No, I don't think fain will be the "new dark one" i think that the old one will survive, he is after all imutable and eternal, and that the bore will be healed so that it is no longer possible for the dark one to touch the world. He will be once again locked away.

Honestly, I'll stick to it until Maj tells me why it's wrong and all that. Not to be rude to everybody else, but the only person who I've seen give nearly flawless responses is Maj. As far as the eternal being aspect, that is an assumption based on very limited knowledge of this world. We take a chatechism that says the creator bound the DO at creation and build this doctrine around him. I think it's very possible that instead of time being cyclical it is more of a spiral. Each age is an intensified version of its former self. Otherwise it is stagnant. The DO could be a more intense DO than the one before him and so on. Fain carries the evil of the DO in a way that no one else does and now added to that is the evil of Shadar Logoth. We see what his "evil powers" can do as early as tGH when Rand enters the house that Fain has trapped. After that we see his power intesify. He is learning the boundaries of his power in much the same way as Rand is his own. Somehow the evils that fight in Rand's never-healing wound found a way to coexist and even thrive in Padan Fain. And what would it mean for these evils to work together. Absolute hatred mingled with absolute suspicion? I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it.

The word for what your describing is Kalpas. Spiraling time changed with each turning, but retaining the basic shape and sequence.

In any case the Dark One is a creature outside of time and existence. He will not become intensified or altered, though he likely learns from each experience and grows like any other creature.

Guest Majsju

Wow, thanks for that faith in my ability to shoot down theories :lol:

As for this one, there are probably quite a few ways to go at it, but the easiest, and most obvious is power. It's true that Fain has got some cool powers implemented from the DO, and some others from Mordeth. But it's nowhere near what the DO is capable of. Look at what we've seen him do. He has brought back people from the grave, he has his very own power, the True Power, that he can not only use himself, but also allow others to access. He can influence the weather enough to stop the seasons from changing. To just mention a few things. Fain is nowhere near that. Ok, he can scare myrdraals enough to make them obey him, and he can create illusions, but he's still only human. Where the DO can influence the entire world even though he's still imprisoned, Fain needs to be close to use the little power he has.

Archived