DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eyes On Me - Attn: Devrion

minisamus

Three cups of tea and a couple of turns about the room, and Saline had her plan ready:

I will make a point of seeing Devrion tomorrow.

But in the morning all those reports started coming in from the north, and when she rouse from her after-luncheon nap she was suddenly alarmed to find that some time was lost . . . the last twelve hours actually, she hadn't given the girl a spare thought, having problems of her own to contend with.

Saline turned on the pillow with a little moan. Upon consideration, however, she decided she should be able to handle whatever bafflesome difficulties a novice such as Devrion might have readily, in an efficient and helpful manner. That should meet the case.

She then put the kettle on. A vital mouthful of the healing brew, and she felt--she wouldn't say restored, because a party disappearance like Lillian, Abigail and foremost Rory was not news one got restored after with mere sips of tea, even if it were the tremalking variety. But a deep sip or two of the stuff had been sufficient for her to focus on the terrible thing which had come upon her. And though thoughts on other things trickled out, the cup of tea she drank would be more than enough to render her capable of grasping, and when called upon, explaining simple facts such as those offered during introductory lectures.

Dragging her pillow and another cushion in hand she headed for the library, in she went through the novice door on the side still in her dressing down. A few people looked up sharply but the resident Browns appeared too absorbed in their studies to notice Saline's bedraggled presence. She found a nice secluded corner near the stacks on Arafel and set down her things there. No dust covered any inch of the floor but the cushion and pillow were to make sitting more comfortable. Some teachers preferred to isolate their students in harsh conditions so to force them to meditate but Saline remembered how Perine Sedai would sew in her rooms when Saline struggled with her assignments, and how it had been a warm and inviting space to practice.

"Tell me about your assignment. And how are you?" She patted at the cushion for the other to sit, when the door opened and Devrion appeared.

Guest dragonsworn1991

Devrion walked elegantly into the library. Devrion hated books, they just seemed like the majority of them were pointless and often contradictory, and they were just a plain waste of space. However out of curiosity she started to read the book that she got from Saline's rooms and she was entertained by the stories. Devrion looked for her newly made friend and found her in a secluded section of the library. Devrion walked up and sat down at the table with Saline.

"Well Saline, I am doing fine, I had my second lesson of intro to saidar today. The assignment we received is to look up and research a novice that has been burned out."

"So if you are ready then so am I. O, I almost forgot, I am so used to being a loner that this whole friendship thing is kind of new so, How are you?"

Devrion looked at Saline and a quizzical look crept across her face while she took in what Devrion had just said. Know she must think me totally off the wall. Wait why do I care what she thinks. Devrion was slowly becoming a mystery to herself.

Interesting.

She had not seen that self-doubting, quizzical look on Devrion's face before, but was glad because questioning oneself was the beginning of most growth. All was coming back to her as Devrion spoke. In her time with Perine Sedai she memorised and was tested upon a list of women burned out and stilled, then they proceeded to learn men who've gone mad and were gentled. Although she had not yet had the unpleasant task of gentling a male, she met gentled men before and understood the theory well enough. Caution with taking in the Source had been one of the basic rules the Tower sought to impress on its channellers over and over again, and although some Aes Sedai might seem like they were getting carried away, they were actually making very good points. Most initiates upon entering were here because they needed to learn how to take control of themselves most of all. Only the most steadfast, socially inscripted body was able to provide a safe conduit for containing one power flows. It would not matter very much your potential were you not disciplined, even if the Tower's way of determination was ruthless, it ensured very little weakness when it came crunchtime in the Aes Sedai, however frivolous and dratful their usual spats were between themselves . . .

Then the look of forlorn dejection, which was always the result of letting her mind dwell, however briefly, on Rory's disappearance, died out of her face. Her sadness abated as she rubbed at her eyes. Devrion, who made her smile a little with her politeness and co-operation, was waiting. She helped Saline tremendously the other day, after all.

"I'm alright, thank you dear. Didn't really sleep well" she resumed, standing now to look around "I will stop myself from getting off topic though. Lucky for us the index card filing system of the library is not hard to use. It goes in decimals, see? So the section we're looking for is actually very close to us. Consulting the old memory, I'd say in the 980.06 and onwards. Yes, yes yes yes, to our left," tiptoeing as she removed the books "We'll look over these notes and you can chose one to write about."

One looked very familiar and when she turned the page she saw the selection she herself had earmarked decades ago. The glossary of lists in the book's index was very long and at the time Saline had regretted not doing her homework the evening before when Zayna and Aevy her roommates were suggesting freeing some chickens on the then Accepted Estel's bed. Anyway Sara Farras stood apart from the other examples as one of the few non-hasty hot-headed types yet still burnt her ability out.

Saline read slowly, Sara Farras, Accepted and known for her aspirations for the Green Ajah, was a young woman with eccentric ideas and one of those had gotten herself burnt out. The Cairheinin Wilder was unique in two aspects, firstly, she was one of the few with the rare Talent of reading the residues of a weave, second she was particularly strong in Spirit and little else . . . So they were with the weave and Sara, upon the astonishment of all, began to unravel it instead of simply allowing the flows to dissappate on her own. Everybody in the classroom stood shocked as their Teacher, the Accepted Sara, utterly unable to move as the Accepted held her threads and explained carefully that she had done so before and that it would not leave tracks for the residues. Fascinated, the Novices watched until, at almost the completion of a fuzzy thing, no longer the weaves but slippery threads, was depleted, all except two threads when an Aes Sedai entered and distracted the Accepted, who had dropped the last thread of Spirit. Within thirty paces all the women with the ability to channel had a headache but they were the lucky ones. Sara's was not a case of holding too much out of hubris, or drawing too much on the Source, it was her ignorance in picking out the Weaves that caused her demise. Sara Farras had burnt out the ability to channel altogether. She was sent away and her life mostly forgotten except as an example for what not to do. As were the case with most women who burnt out, Sara was unwilling to have connections to the White Tower. It was rumoured that she married well to a kind and gentle man but the life-span of the Accept was never known.

That was where the segment stopped. Scanning Devrion's face Saline decided to wrap it up there. The girl was absorbing all the information but those things needed time to sink in. "Ahhh I see you've gotten a book for your assignment. Ink and paper's available in a basket by the front desk. I'll see you at dinner."

Ooc: post reactions as always and write your little bit, a paragraph will do, on a novice who burnt out. We'll pick up with saidar help in the dining hall (also imagined), wee! :)

Guest dragonsworn1991

Devrion sat with her aes sedai friend and thought she was missing something, some piece of the puzzle was missing from making this a complete picture. As Saline got up Devrion followed trying to learn what she could in case she could make use of the knowledge. Saline soon found the book she had been seeking and Devrion sat beside her this time at the table so she could see the words, and listen to Saline tell it. Devrion grabbed her quill and jotted down some quick notes as Saline read. Eventually Devrion had the whole thing written. She looked at the parchment and read it again to make shore of the legibility.

Sara Farras, Accepted and known for her aspirations for the Green Ajah, was a young woman with eccentric ideas and one of those had gotten herself burnt out. The Cairheinin Wilder was unique in two aspects, firstly, she was one of the few with the rare Talent of reading the residues of a weave, second she was particularly strong in Spirit and little else . . . So they were with the weave and Sara, upon the astonishment of all, began to unravel it instead of simply allowing the flows to dissappate on her own. Everybody in the classroom stood shocked as their Teacher, the Accepted Sara, utterly unable to move as the Accepted held her threads and explained carefully that she had done so before and that it would not leave tracks for the residues. Fascinated, the Novices watched until, at almost the completion of a fuzzy thing, no longer the weaves but slippery threads, was depleted, all except two threads when an Aes Sedai entered and distracted the Accepted, who had dropped the last thread of Spirit. Within thirty paces all the women with the ability to channel had a headache but they were the lucky ones. Sara's was not a case of holding too much out of hubris, or drawing too much on the Source, it was her ignorance in picking out the Weaves that caused her demise. Sara Farras had burnt out the ability to channel altogether. She was sent away and her life mostly forgotten except as an example for what not to do. As were the case with most women who burnt out, Sara was unwilling to have connections to the White Tower. It was rumoured that she married well to a kind and gentle man but the life-span of the Accept was never known.

Devrion blew on the ink and sat back. She got up and chose another book, this one on shadowspawn however and she left the library shortly after Saline. Devrion hurried to her rooms and dropped off the book. She wanted to study the creatures she one day would command. Then she hurried off to the dinning room with as much grace as she could muster.

At the side-table Saline poured into a glass raw spirits mixed with soda-water. This done, she retired to an arm-chair in the dining room and put her feet up, sipping her drink in front of the fireplace with relaxed enjoyment, rather like Latra Posae Decume must have felt the evening after the signing of the Fateful Concord.

Everytime Saline thought about Lavinya's agreement to join her party she let on a sigh of relief. Although they wouldn't have any Yellows joining, and traditionally Yellows were always opposed to what the Reds did . . . on this occasion it was mostly in protest of the futileness of Saline's quest. However, her talk with Lavinya was giving her hope, which in Saline's opinion trumps any manner of heirarchy and experience. She had reached this point in her meditations, when she was aroused by the sound of the door opening. Somebody came into the dining room and, lowering her feet, Saline perceived that it was Devrion hurrying toward her armchair.

Saline waved the novice to the side-table. There had been one dish in particular that proved very good. The sight of Devrion was enough to make her smile. Saline had been much pleased by the way the novice carried out the task assigned her at the beginning, and after Devrion dined they would begin their next lesson. Passing the other a breadbasket, Saline drained her cup and imparted. "It is possible to draw water from the humidity in the air. We do not create, per se, rather we work with what we have. Attend." She took a single thread of water, making it expand until water began filling her glass. Then placed a handkerchief on top. "Adjust what you have in terms of how you set its weave, and this could easily be applied in the soaking and drying of a handkerchief, to squeeze moisture from laundry. Of course" she added "the use of Saidar is not permitted on your chores without prior permission. Now you try wetting this handkerchief."

Ooc: apologies for the delay, I got wrapped up in Bruce Lee movies as my boyfriend (he insists!) was determined to give me a thorough education on his roles :P

Guest dragonsworn1991

Walking into the dining room, Devrion collected herself and portrayed utter coolness. She looked around the room for Saline and noticed her beckoning for her. Smelling the dinner that had been sitting out, reminded Devrion that she had skipped her evening meal. She was grateful for the bread Saline offered, It was very delicious.

Devrion watched Saline out of the corner of her eye while she ate, and she seemed to be concentrating on something far off. I wonder what she is thinking. Devrion mused to herself. Then their meeting took another turn. Saline emptied her glass and filled it with water. She instructed Devrion to fill the handkerchief she had placed on top of the glass with water.

Devrion concentrated and she was in a ballroom dancing in her fine black gown, moving where the music lead her, surrendering to the rise and fall of the rhythm, then saidar was there. But something was different about it this time, Devrion could see different parts of one power. There were substances of white, blue, red, brown, and grey. Devrion assumed that they must be the five elements.

She concentrated on the water in the cup, she tried to move some of the blue threads in the cup but she failed to move them. Devrion continued to try this but repeatedly failed. Saline put a reassuring hand on Devrion's arm. Her struggle must have been apparent. Then Devrion took a deep breath and tried one last time. She did it. It was marvelous, the first real feat she had performed with the power.

One step closer to greatness, one step closer to the great lord.

OOC: No problem, I hope you like this post, I had a little trouble with it.

Devrion had done the trick with the glass, and Saline had seen the green threads at work as water was running out of the glass back into the handkerchief. Each Aes Sedai had in mind slightly different representation of colors for each of the five elements in their heads and Saline wondered what the elements must have appeared to be for Maegan Sedai and others who had impaired vision. Devrion tried very persistantly with the trick, and Saline was pleased to find she had no bad habits of moving the threads with her hands which some novices had to be corrected of. The smile on Devrion's face was very worthwhile, though Saline noticed the novice had not released Saidar. The experience of channeling might be marvellous but it would continue only when the girl learnt some discipline.

Touching the girl lightly on the shoulder Saline hinted, "it's coming along well, Devrion. You can release Saidar now that you've done it."

The glow around the girl went out of her sight as Saline continued. "As soon as you're done with your weave remember to let go of the source. You should always approach Saidar with a purpose, once achieved, should be closed. Like dousing a candle after reading for fear of setting fires to your curtains."

Reaching into the pocket of her dressing gown Saline dug out some small stones she had emptied from a jar back in the room. They looked dull and harmless in her palm, yet she had gotten many similar stones from an Accepted who was very into the jewelry trade decades ago. "Imagine these gemstones, yes they are gems, as you would an assignment you would have to revise and tighten. These gems will only smooth under the solid touch of Earth."

Saline knew it was a simple weave but it would be difficult as the element was tricky to work with. Saline drew on Saidar again, this time she drew on Earth, readying the weave. A moonstone shone in her palm, but the others were still unpolished. "These are yours. It's your turn, but please, take your time. If you cannot get it to-day, take a break and stop by my room to-morrow."

Ooc: Hopefully this task will be more fun. You're doing very well! Would you find earth more difficult than water? You would find yourself getting better with practice. :)

Guest dragonsworn1991

OOC: Here are Devrion's Stats

Strength 23 Skill 31

Fire: 4 cost 4

Earth: 3 cost 3

Spirit: 5 cost 5

Air: 5 cost 5

Water 6 cost 6

IC: Devrion felt amazing at had been able to complete her task. Whenever Saline told her to release saidar, it was a battle all of its own. The extra sensations that flooded Devrion, made the source that much more appealing to hold, but she released it.

Next Saline pulled out rocks from her pockets. Saline gave instructions to touch and polish the rocks with pure earth. Devrion began the dance again in her mind. She was twirling and moving gracefully when she found the source again. She went through the mass of different colors again, and found the green threads of earth. Devrion pulled to it, but it did not want to bend to her will. This con not be allowed, Devrion thought, If I can not make saidar do as I wish how can I be of service, to the great lord.

Eventually Devrion was able to bend the thread. Now what to do with it. Devrion wondered about this and decided to use it as a brush. She gently wiped the stones in Saline's hand with the threads of earth, and they began to shine.

Devrion noticed she was sweating and wiped it from her brow. "I am ready for more Saline." Devrion said coolly.

Looking up once again, Saline noticed the strain working with Saidar had on the girl. With every attempt Devrion exerted more control over the one power, although Devrion had taken much longer to grapple with the polish weave than she had with water. It was not altogether surprising considering how little aptitude most women had for earth. The Aes Sedai examined the gems smilingly before turning to the novice, "nice work Devrion these are yours to keep. I'm happy you released the source immediately after setting your weave successfully this time. You're beginning to understand discipline. However, there is a time for weaves, and a time not for studying weaves." She needed not labor the point: "I often find a night's sleep can do wonders in solving problems, which you'll be tackling to-morrow. Why don't we end here for to-day and pick it up on the morrow?"

That said, Saline rose and gathering about her slim shoulders the burgandy shawl which she had put on as a protection against the evening draft, she wished the novice plentiful rest, leaving the other alone motionless in the room.

The tapping on her door rouse her. It grew louder, and more persistant with each passing moment. What sort of rot was Mabelline planning? She knew Saline was not to be up and thinking before noon.

Tap. TAP. TAP!

"Alright" she said, at length. "Give me a minute to get ready." Throwing some items, mostly parchment and half-formed stitchwork into her basket Saline dashed some water on her face and dried her hands on her dress. Peering outside her window she perceived there was a marked twittering of birds in the ivy.

"Your breakfast, ma'am" Mabelline said, setting the tray of toast with a much needed brew of tea for Saline to sip. Saline however waved it away, claiming she needed to wake up properly. Truth be told she wanted another approach for the new day.

Saline's maid had the aspect of a hired assassin who had paused to think things over. But she desisted (very good, Mabelline responded curteously) when Saline instructed. "Please send young Devrion to me in Vera's gardens whenever she drops by."

Sunlight gilded across the courtyard as she strolled into the private gardens which as novices Rossa, Syara and she had helped create in conjunction with Vera Sedai for a former mentee of the Gray. She was sitting on a bench near some primroses when Devrion arrived. "Good morning Devrion" smiling Saline held up a piece of paper, "I hope you slept well last night, there's a lot of work lined up for you. Watch." A strand of blue, for Saline, gently cushioned beneath the paper as it levitated in the air. "I would be very careful tampering with the natural weather, such as altering a storm or creating a whirlpool; however, you may spin breezes amongst themselves in a measured manner." The blue strand was soon joined by another as they wound around and, the paper spun relatively fast above a miniature whirlwind. Saline tied off the weave with a strand of green, "feeding some water near its base will check its progress. Now, you try!"

Ooc: Looks good!

Guest dragonsworn1991

Devrion was grateful for the dismissal after Saline's lesson. She was exhausted from using saidar, but the rush of doing something with the power, and the thrill of holding it seemed to balance out the tiredness. Devrion walked up to her room and tenuously held on to her grace. Devrion wanted to fall to sleep immediately but she forced herself to stay up and read the book she had got from the library. Holding the library book, Devrion's mind kept going back to the book she had pilfered from Saline. It currently resided under Devrion's pillow, where she planned to keep it there.

The next day Devrion's body was replenished from its night of exhaustion. A nock came to her door in the novice hall, and it was a messenger delivering a message from Saline. Devrion walked up to the garden where Saline was waiting and sat down beside her.

Saline went to explain a new element, air. Devrion looked in amazement as a piece of paper twirled in a whirlwind. Devrion used her exercise to fill herself with the source and she found the white threads of air. Devrion spun them with relative ease unlike the threads of earth the previous day. Saline did an interesting trick with the threads of water. Devrion pulled on the blue mass that was saidar for water and fed a little into the bottom of the whirlwind. Just how do I make it remain when I let go of the source. Devrion wondered. She noticed a kind of knot in Saline's weave. Devrion tried to tie it into the base of her mini whirlwind. Devrion was astounded by her success, and the feeling was so joyous.

"Saline, this is amazing, you are such a good teacher. I can not wait to learn more." Devrion said with a hunger in her eyes and eagerness in her voice. She might be friends with this woman but she still was going to use her as much as she could.