DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where will the last battle be fought?

Coravron

After reading some posts about the collection of armies/countries, I think we need to talk about where the last battle will be fought.

Is it going to be in the borderlands and then push onto SG?  Or will it be fought in different locations?

I know the prophecies state the Dark One will be defeated in Shayol Ghul, but does anybody remember anything about other locations being hinted at?

Luckers put forth a theory a year or so ago about how he thinks it will be fought all over the place, and it has some merit to it. I don't remember the name of the thread, but you could tinker in the search engine for it or PM him about it. With the battle imminent and the last volumes of the series on the way, it might be time to discuss it again.  :)

I think the Last Battle won't be ONE battle. It's probably a huge war being fought over all of Randland.

Lan in the Blight

Borderlanders in Andor/Cairhien

Perrin/Ituralde/Aiel in Arad Doman

Mat with Seanchan in Altara and Murandy

Whitecloaks in Amadicia (and probably helping on other fronts)

Bashere/Legion of the Dragon in Tear/Illian (I think)

Probably one last assault of all armies combined or all channelers together will attack Shayol Ghul itself, like it happened at the Sealing of the Bore. Then the Dark One - Dragon Reborn - Fight will be fought

Well, we know that it is noted that Randland is the place where it will all happen. Shara and Seanchan is not going to be involved with TG. Randland will see most if not all the TG-related fighting. Also it is mentioned by other members that other unexpected areas will see heavy fighting, like the Shadow Coast. Shadowspawn will go through the Gates to get to those places however. I doubt the Shadow has amassed a fleet in the Dead Sea. Wait a minute...

There hasn't been any mention of the Shadow making fleets? I have, for some time, wondered about the possibility that some Shadowspawn might try to cross water to land in areas that are uninhabited and start spreading out and causing terror among the countryside. Has anyone thought about that? That might be a big morale downfall for the Light; to suddenly see trollocs in areas thought to be deep in Light-held territory.

Tarmon Gai'don will be more like the Trolloc Wars and the War of Power with battles and campaigns across the entire continent but the actually Last Battle will be similar to the Strike at Shayol Ghul. History is cyclical right?

Shadowspawn are terrified of flowing water such as rivers and such. Taking a large army of Trollocs on a ocean would not be very smart as there'd probably be a panic among them. after all, if you were scared of rivers would you not be deathly terrified of a large body of water especially when you can't see any land?

There are ways for Shadowspawn to attack the Light-held territories however: WayGates. Rand/Loial/Karldin have not sealed nearly enough waygates. The ones in the Seanchan-held territory and the ones on the Eastern coast have not been even touched and apparently there are some in Tear as evidenced by that large Trolloc army that attacked Rand at Algarin's manor.

I am in serious doubt as to those 100,000 trollocs and fades traveled there by waygate, the more obvious answer is one of the forsaken made a waygate for them.  I remmber Ishamael being upset that they were used like that.   

In book, one it was stated that a large group would attract the black wind, and moving 100,000 trollocs is no small thing. 

I agree the battles will be all over.

I am in serious doubt as to those 100,000 trollocs and fades traveled there by waygate, the more obvious answer is one of the forsaken made a waygate for them.  I remmber Ishamael being upset that they were used like that.   

In book, one it was stated that a large group would attract the black wind, and moving 100,000 trollocs is no small thing. 

I agree the battles will be all over.

I believe you meant to say, "the more obvious answer is one of the forsaken made a Gateway for them." That's impossible though as Shadowspawn cannot pass through Gateways as Rand states once again in the same chapter as the Trolloc attack. There's a problem in the number of Trollocs though. Ismamael states that there "thousands of Trollocs were sent into the Ways" (not Gateways) yet a chapter later, Lan says there were a hundred thousand. I always thought it was 10,000 Trollocs. 100,000 would make overrunning the manor more likely however.

Really?  I can't remember anything about Shadowspawn being unable to travel through gateways.  Do you happen to have a quote?

In "Vows," Chapter 19 of Knife of Dreams, Rand is explaning what Deathgates are and how they work to Logain. He says "It doesn't matter wher they went. Shadowspawn can't survive passing through a gateway. People will find groups of dead Trollocs and maybe Myrdraal without a mark on them." It's said in other places but that's the only one I vividly remember right now.

If I were Moridin, and someone used up 100.000 of my troops for practically nothing, I would be pissed off. Especially if that person is a part of my staff and the guy just acted on his own accord.

That is true, but I assumed Moridin was angry because someone had violated his/the Dark One's "Do not kill Rand, let him spread chaos" order. Also, if there were really 100,000 Trollocs, Moridin would have said something other than "thousands of Trollocs sent into the ways." He did say 100 Myrdraal were sent and in tEotW, there are 100 Trollocs in every fist led by a Myrdraal so there would be 10,000 Trollocs. I can understand why Lan would think there was 100,000 because of the sheer amounts of devastation and shredded corpses.

According to prophecies, Rand's & Dark One's part would certainly include Shayol Ghul.

For everybody else involved, it could be anywhere.

Since Elayne's pregnancy would go past Tarmon Gaidon, she would probably be spared.

Aviendha probably would also be spared since she would also be pregnant during Tarmon Gaidon.

Possibly also Min.

History repeats itself, right? As of right now almost every nation has capable armies that could protect each nation from Trolloc hordes. Rand could help create a new Compact of Nations but as in the Trolloc Wars each nation will keep its forces within its borders. The Band of the Red Hand's role might then be the same as its predecessors: that is, going to whichever nation requires aid. All speculation though.

What I am certain will happen is that the actual Last Battle will take place at Shayol Ghul and be very similar to the "Strike at Shayol Ghul." Rand will seal the Bore with the help of Companions (Asha'man and possible Aes Sedai) and will be accompanied by a large army (The Legion of the Dragon) as was Lews Therin Telamon 3,000 years prior.

I dont think it was said the last battle would be at SG. It was said his blood on the slopes of SG...which are the Aiel and the Andorans. I can honestly believe the fight between Rand and the DO will be in the fires of SG and quite possibly between dimensions. But does the DO even have a body? Maybe it will be more of an astract battle with very realistic damage inflicted worldwide.

I don't think Rand will fight the DO at all. Isn't it impossible to defeat the DO? I'm sure Rand will just have another face-off with Ish. I think Rand will lead a band of channelers (As LTT did) and reseal the DO's prison, but properly this time. He will obviously have to destroy the seals first and Min will figure out why because she reads Herid Fels books all the time. The People Rand takes with will have to face off the forsaken. At the same time, everyone is going to be fighting all around Randland. Thats my best guesse.

I think the last battle will take place everywhere also.  With the Forsaken having control of virtually every nation at one time or another, it would be naive to think they still don't have a grip on them.  Without seeing shadowspawn in two or three books, they have to be saving up for a massive, worldwide attack. 

They are getting their asses beaten and they know they are losing
RJ doesn't, though, he's got this absurd theory that the Shadow is currently winning. Honestly, what does he know?

Personally, I think the Last Battle will be fought in Wales.

Yeah, I think it will be fought all over as well. And probably before the good guys are really ready, or are even aware that the are fighting the Last Battle. It would be typical confusion/chaos RJ and real life. Like Mat's quote about the best battle plans lasting about five minutes. It may begin while they are still preparing for it. The Wheel waits on no one.

Archived