DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lan's Army spoiler book 11

fadge100

Sup guys,

I was wondering (sorry if this has been discussed), how big do you guys see Lan's army becoming, with Nynave sp. going around telling people they better join, along with his reputation, along with who he is, a malkier king/ Best of the warders, and maybe even he'll get a bunch of the people who just want to join because they feel the need to fight this battle, ie people like the blacksmith and farmer from the prologue read by robert jordan at jordan con.

I myself see it as rivaling one of the Aeil clans in terms of warriors, and the fact that these are going to be borderland warriors, i have a feeling this is going to be a powerful force against the Shadow.

What do you guys think?

I think his army will be a big one, but not that big that it can stand against multiple waves of Shadowspawn. It will be more like his army stopping the first wave so Rand and co can get to the borderlands with as many troops as possible.

I also have a feeling the Shadow might surprise us from other places. Maybe they will come out from the Shadow Coast or something, or some other places.

Lan is my favorite character in all of WoT, the guy is a one man army as it is, and throughout the series its clear that there is a lot of people from the borderlands who would drop whatever they are doing to follow the golden crane.

I think Lans Army is going to be one of the most badass group of soldiers assembled for Tarmon'Gaidon, and cant wait to see them cut a bloody swathe through trolloc armies that outnumber them 100 to 1  8)

Lan is my favorite character in all of WoT, the guy is a one man army as it is, and throughout the series its clear that there is a lot of people from the borderlands who would drop whatever they are doing to follow the golden crane.

I think Lans Army is going to be one of the most badass group of soldiers assembled for Tarmon'Gaidon, and cant wait to see them cut a bloody swathe through trolloc armies that outnumber them 100 to 1  8)

QFT!

What was Lan's promise to Nyneave?  To accept any that would ride with him?  Does she say he must stop at every village?

I get the feeling that Lan's impatience to reach his old home will cause him to ride fast.  Sure he will pick up some, but he won't waste time searching followers out.  It's also not like him to go riding and asking for help.

I do think, however, that word will reach the outlying areas of his march and the Golden Crane, and the majority of the borderland armies will follow in his wake.

Keep in Mind, Nynaeve has already been through major parts of all the borderlands rallying up support for Lan, so by the time he gets to Shienar he'll have people flocking to the Golden Crane from across the entire borderlands.

Look at the following that sprang up in NS, and that was in Lan's name because the Malkier thought he died in the Aiel war.

Judging by the reaction received in KoD the borderland rulers will get real nervous when word of Lan's forces reaches them.

Well seeing how the sizes of armies have rapidly increased from a medium -sized army being a several thousand to now being 30,000+, I think Lan's army will be 50,000-75,000+ men. However, you must remember that this army will not be made up of men such as those in the Borderlander army in Andor but rather men who have laid down the sword or are past their prime.

We can see this from the fact that most of the Borderlands' regular armies/troops have gone south with their kings/queens and the rest are on guard duty against the Blight. Taking the regular troops left behind would not be smart and Lan is a good enough commander to know that. His force will be somewhat of a militia and I believe he will be crucial in the war against the Shadow because his army will stop the first Trolloc army from wreaking havoc and will be able to send word to the others. Whether he and the majority of his army survive is another matter though.

You must remember that he is not raising an army to rebuild/reconquer Malkier but to fight the Shadow. There is a big difference: Malkier has not been fought for for over 40+ years and the Shadow is being fought every day.

Look at the following that sprang up in NS, and that was in Lan's name because the Malkier thought he died in the Aiel war.

Judging by the reaction received in KoD the borderland rulers will get real nervous when word of Lan's forces reaches them.

Good! Maybe they'll ditch those 13 Black Ajah Aes Sedai they've been dragging around with them in Andor and head back up north where they belong.

There's no proof those 13 are BA. Just circumstantial evidence  ;)
The best kind.

the boarderland army that the rulers have down in Andor is 200,000 men, and they still have left enough men to guard the blight, "short of the Trolloc wars coming again".
"We leave the Blight all but unguarded" PoD Prologue. "What I've left behind can guard the Blight short of the Trolloc Wars coming again". ibid. Contradiction. Who do you believe and why?

Then they're short along the Blight.
No, you're thinking of Cairhienin.

There's no proof those 13 are BA. Just circumstantial evidence  ;)
The best kind.

Forgive me *bats eyelashes* - I meant to say "supposition".

the boarderland army that the rulers have down in Andor is 200,000 men, and they still have left enough men to guard the blight, "short of the Trolloc wars coming again".
"We leave the Blight all but unguarded" PoD Prologue. "What I've left behind can guard the Blight short of the Trolloc Wars coming again". ibid. Contradiction. Who do you believe and why?

Why is that a contradiction? One ruler could have brought almost all his/her men, while another left enough to guard against anything but the Trolloc wars come again.

Other Ruler: What did you say? The Trollocs have invaded? Oh buggerit ... that damn Murphy.

Then they're short along the Blight.
No, you're thinking of Cairhienin.

*gigglesnort*

Why is that a contradiction? One ruler could have brought almost all his/her men, while another left enough to guard against anything but the Trolloc wars come again.

Contradicts what lordofsoup said - he said they, only evidence to support in one case of four, and one more says opposite.

The men referred to as left behind are soldiers with a duty. For them to abandon their posts, to abandon their countries to run off to play with Lan would be treason, no matter how noble they might believe the reason to do so might be.

Lans army will be made up by merchants, peasants and other riffraff found along the way.

Granted, given the normal situation in the borderlands, even the peasants should have some idea about how to fight trollocs.

The descendants of Malkeir have a reputation for being fighters. 

Yet Malkier fell over 40 years ago and not that many continued to follow the way of the sword (as evidenced by the merchant Nynaeve visited).

I do believe that the army Lan raises will be capable and he is a good commander so they will have a good chance to stop the first Trolloc hordes and also survive.

Archived