DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Legend of the Seeker

DemandredFO

I saw a show last night(Sunday June 7) that was interesting even after I learned that it was a show that follows the Sword of Truth books.  My question is if they can make a show out of Goodkinds nonsense, why can't they do something with the WOT?  Now if they do something with WOT the viewers will think RJ stole the idea from Goodkind when in fact it was the reverse.  Thoughts

I have read a lot of topics on the WoT movie/Tv series in the works and i honestly think they should CGI the whole thing.

Technology is at the point now where we do not need actors to convey a kick ass story and keep it lifelike and realistic.

Golum from LotR, final fantasy advent children, the silver surfer in fantastic 4, are just a few examples of CGI characters being used and they are getting better all the time.

I really think a full CGI WoT movie would be damn good and would have absolutely no restrictions as far as graphics are concerned.

just my two cents  :P

Now if they do something with WOT the viewers will think RJ stole the idea from Goodkind when in fact it was the reverse.
Why would they think that? No more reason to think that than for them to think Legend of the Seeker inspired HBO's ASoIaF adaptation. More likely they will see the influence of Lord of the Rings.

Technology is at the point now where we do not need actors to convey a kick ass story and keep it lifelike and realistic. Gollum from LotR...
I'm sure Andy Serkis will be pleased to know he has a fan in you. And even with CGI, you still need actors (voice actors, if nothing else).

The thing that will make Legend of the Seeker fall is that each episode is supposedly a seperate plot. Those kind of series are crap, and if they do the same thing with Wheel of Time then count me out. Wheel of Time films? Im not sure how to react about that.

The thing that will make Legend of the Seeker fall is that each episode is supposedly a seperate plot. Those kind of series are crap, and if they do the same thing with Wheel of Time then count me out. Wheel of Time films? Im not sure how to react about that.

Actually, for me, escaping the confines of the poor-quality original material elevated the Legend of the Seeker show from awful to merely bland. The first episode (a two-hour double) stuck pretty closely to the book, and was correspondingly awful, cliched and leaden with exposition. After that, the episodes were merely okay. Until the episode where the antagonist turned into a girl and started making out with the hero, and I wish I was kidding.

I'm sure Andy Serkis will be pleased to know he has a fan in you. And even with CGI, you still need actors (voice actors, if nothing else).

Have you seen final fantasy advent children?

Andy will find work regardless because he is a talented actor, but you do not need a human actor to have a lifelike character.

And Voice actors? yup you need em, but it will be 1000 times easier than using real actors to convey WoT in a movie

Have you seen final fantasy advent children?
No.

Andy will find work regardless because he is a talented actor, but you do not need a human actor to have a lifelike character.
Misses the point. That was in response to your comment about Gollum, a character played by Andy Serkis. And not just the voice. So Gollum was not completely CGI.

And Voice actors? yup you need em, but it will be 1000 times easier than using real actors to convey WoT in a movie
1,000 times? No. You make things easier on whoever does the casting, but create work for whoever has to animate it.

try reading the whole post first Mr Ares, Golum was *one* example i used of the use of a CGI character in a movie.

the point was that the use of CGI is a very viable option given the technology we have now in relaying a great movie,

many movies use straight up CGI for main characters and involve no human actors other than voice over actors.

This i think would be a much more efficient alternative to using real actors as CGI characters age when you want, among other things.

Take the harry potter movies for an example.

All the actors started out around the age of the characters from the first book, we are almost to the 6th movie adaptation and the actors are all a lot older now, whereas with CGI, Rand, Mat, Perrin and all our favorite WoT characters would age accordingly to the story, and would be much easier to deal with things on a graphical level.

try reading the whole post first Mr Ares, Golum was *one* example i used of the use of a CGI character in a movie.
I did read your whole post. If you actually bothered to pay attention to what other people said when they have the temerity to disagree with you, you might have noticed that the relevant point was not that you can think of dozens of animated films, as anyone can (look at Toy Story!), it was that that example of a purely CGI character with no actor involved was compeltely wrong as that one did actually have an actor involved.

Just popping in to say that while I've only read Wizard's First Rule, and not the rest of the series, I have watched all the episodes of this show.

Putting aside the fact that I'm in love with Bridget Regan, I think that I somewhat agree with Sirayn.  First 2 episodes were too "cliche", but they picked up from there.  I actually thought a couple of different episodes were VERY good, and even better than the corresponding scene(s) from the book.  Of course the reverse was true more often, but hey - that's what happens most of the time anyway.

And I've decided I'm wrong.  I can't put aside the fact that I'm in love with Bridget Regan.  I therefore will watch every episode religiously, no matter what.  :-\

Concerning CGI: I was not impressed with Beowulf, so I hope that WoT is not like that.

Midean, you were snippy with Mr Ares first. If this is your first visit to the board, it's understandable (meet Mr Ares; now you know  :)), but if you've read his posts before, you should have known better than to start it with him.

She's beautiful, isn't she, Verbal32?

I have not read Goodkind, mainly because I've read so many critical posts about him and his series on this board and others (and because I do not like Ayn Rand nor her philosophy of Objectivism, so I do not wish to read Goodkind's main character as he rants from its platform, as I've been told he does), but I have two friends who are adamant that the books are good, so I watched the first couple of episodes, and I thought it was pretty good. I do not watch TV regularly, but when it occurs to me that it's Saturday and Legend is on, I watch it. Maybe it's better if you haven't read the books...

Edited for spelling because I type like a chimpanzee  :P

She's beautiful, isn't she, Verbal32?

Mmm hmmm.

I've heard the same things about the book, but maybe they start later.  I'm in book 2 right now, and I'm enjoying the series so far.  If characters get too preachy, I just skim and ignore.  No biggie for me.

Bridget Regan is indeed unbelievably hot. But seriously - how did you keep watching past the part where Darken Rahl turned himself into a teenage girl and started making out with Richard? I nearly injured my laptop, I threw it against the wall so hard. What? What?

It was more like a dream, so my mind wasn't in the "omg Darken Rahl just made out with Richard in a girl's disguise.  I was more thinking that Rahl had inserted this girl into Richard's dream and was able to make her say anything he wanted.

I'm not sure I made any sense, but that's how I saw it.  Besides, I was just basically waiting to see Bridget again.  Have I mentioned I'm in love with her?

*swoons*

Each year I will make time to "try out" a few sci-fi and fantasy authors whom I have not previously read. Last year the list included Ben Bova, Terry Goodkind, and Robert Jordan, among others, but in that order.

I read the first two Goodkind books and found them not just full of borrowed elements from other fantasy authors; but he also has a truly offensive perspective on women. And why is his entire "subcreation" (to use Tolkien's terminology) so rankly sexist? So brutal and violent in every country described? There was NOTHING of any redeeming quality about his writing.

Personally I think that T.G. has "issues"! He is a sick puppy!

In addition, I hear you, Gentled Ben. I myself despise Ayn Rand and her anti-social, elitist philosophy. So it figures, I suppose, that his world is full of nasty characters!

Ayn Rand saw herself and "elites" to be superior to all the rest of humanity.

As far as the television adaptation, in addition to what Sirayn said, it was slightly better than the book becoming instead of "awful," "merely bland". I watched about five minutes of it, solely out of curiosity, got bored and went to the weather channel. LOL

No offense to those of you who are enamored of the actress mentioned above, of course.  :D

Go on ahead and admire her all you want! And let's hope she gets some better roles down the line!!

After trying Goodkind, I picked up Robert Jordan, and very quickly realized that here is a master storyteller. Jordan may mine some of the same great mythologies and epics of history as do some other great fantasy writers but he does it in a way that is respectful, as a tribute, and that is as it should be.

Goodkind is the opposite; and his creative powers are exponentially far the lesser.

I read the first two Goodkind books and found them not just full of borrowed elements from other fantasy authors

*snip*

Jordan may mine some of the same great mythologies and epics of history as do some other great fantasy writers but he does it in a way that is respectful, as a tribute, and that is as it should be.

I respectfully disagree with these 2 statements.  I know this has been rehashed on these forums a million times, but I'm going to actually defend Goodkind here.  *ducks*

Read Frank Herbert's Dune, and you might notice that both Jordan & Goodkind have borrowed heavily from the Bene Gesserit.  Confessors who are women with power...men are rare, nuts, and overpowered.  Check.  Aes Sedai are women with power....men are rare, nuts, and overpowered.  Check.

Jordan's Aiel are desert folk who are super fond of water and shade?  Meet Dune's Fremen.

My point is that both borrow from fantasy "elements" - to say Jordan's are like a tribute and Goodkind's are not is just VERY subjective.  While I agree that Jordan has more imagination, he is just as guilty of the 'borrowing' from other sources as Goodkind.

That is all.

I'll go one step further than Verbal. And I hate saying this over and over again when people compare RJ and Goodkind, but Homer (yes, the Ancient Greek) was one of the first fantasy authors ever. Go and read The Odyssey. In my eyes, he is one of the founding fathers of fantasy. All the elements that appear in Goodkind, Jordan et al. will appear there. The Romans even invented Science Fiction.

And Verbal - I agree. Bridget Regan is smokin' hot! No confessor power was needed to make me love her!  ;D  That confessor's dress *drools* Um, sorry!

Each author has their faults. Some view Goodkind as preachy. I view Jordan as over the top. It's one reason why a WoT re-read is such a hassle in my eyes. There are better authors than Jordan out there, and I would rather read them. Or try a new author.

Archived