DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Shoulder to Cry On (Open) - An SG RP

Matalina

OOC: This takes place directly after the Bubble of Evil, feel free to jump in with your own feelings and concerns.

The fog had lifted and the devestation was apparent. Not only had people died, but most of the live stock had taken a toll as well. Whinning from the barns echoed in the silent sky and men and women weeped over their fallen friends.

Cari sat on her door step, her head in her hands as she cried. Achet had not been a lover, but he had been a very good friend. Kate huddled behind, with her body close to her mothers as she too cried. Aiden sat on the couch in the house solem. He didn't cry, he was trying to be the man of the house.

But they didn't cry just for Achet, but Seirra too. Only 9 years old and the girl had been ripped to shreds by the fog. Cari's greif took a toll on her. She didn't notice any one or anything besides her children. It was a sad time, but the peices would need to be picked up.

Cari

She was safe. That was all that mattered to him. She was safe and her children were safe. He stood around the corner of a house watching her for a few minutes, unable to decide what to do.

Demus was new to the Ranch and he barely knew anyone yet. Cari was the only person he considered a friend at the moment and his one thought during the frantic events had been to get out alive and make sure she did too.

He had been too late to protect her, but she was more capable than himself, he was certain. Now, she was sitting on her front door step, crying at her loss. He didn't have anything to give her now. He hadn't really know the people who had died. He'd go to Nathan a little later and let him know that he'd take up any slack from the people who really had lost someone.

He started to turn away, but stopped. The only thing he had wanted when his mother had died was a little comfort. Maybe he didn't know these people well enough to grieve, but he could sympathyze with Cari and her kids. He took a deep breath and walked over to them, softly enough to not intrude and yet loud enough that she wouldn't be taken by surprise. Kneeling down beside her, he looked down at his hands, not sure what to say. In the end, his words were simple and true. "I'm sorry Cari. If you need anything, I'm right here. For you and your kids."

dmdemus.jpg

Cari looked up tears streaking her cheeks. Demus knelt beside her and she wondered why he would want to be there. But she nodded as she reached around and took Kate in her arms. She held her daughter tightly to her and reached for Demus' hand. "Thank you for the gesture. We do appreciate it." She pulled Demus' closer. "Right now a friend is a good thing to have."

They hadn't known each other long but this man had just endeared himself to Cari's heart. He could be picking up his own peices instead he came to her aid, to her families aid and that meant alot to her. Cari knew what would happen the following day. She took Kate into the house and patted Demus' hand. "You can come in."

Cari set Kate down with Aiden and she clung to her twin brother. And that innocent gesture put Aiden in tears. Cari hugged them both and whispered to them. "I have to write today down." They looked up startled but they knew what she meant. Cari knew all to well how tragedy affected the weak barriers of her mind.

The journal lay under her pillow and she pulled it out and brought it to the table that Demus' sat at. And Cari started to write the things that had happened.

Cari

Demus followed Cari into the house and watched as she took a moment to comfort her kids, then took a seat at the table. She walked off with a whisper and came back quickly with a journal. With barely a glance his way, she began writing.

Demus had never been the type to keep a journal. In fact he had never wanted to spend the extra money on it, but he could see the intense concentration on Cari's face and wondered if there was more to her writing than he knew.

For now, he was content to be there with her and be there for her. The kids were watching Cari quietly as well and he moved away from the table, trying not to disturb Cari as she wrote. He sat next to the kids and smiled at them, just trying to be a comfort to them, though he was still a stranger.

dmdemus.jpg

Aiden smiled at Demus through tear streaked eyes. He wasn't quite the man he had wanted to be but when Cari looked up she saw Aiden grab Demus' hand and hold it, as if he would be the most comfort in the world. And perhaps he was, Demus was putting up a strong front, Aiden could draw from. He really was trying.

When Cari finished writing the events she put the journal back its proper place. Tomorrow would be another day and tomorrow things would be different. If by chance she was wrong it would be the first time.

Cari sat down next to Demus and Kate crawled over Aiden and Demus to huddle in her mother's lap. Cari smiled and then put her head on Demus' shoulder. She whispered to him so as not to scare the children anymore than they already were. "Tomorrow, when I wake, things will be different. The journal will remind me who I am and why I am present. I won't know you, except through the journal. Please be kind in the morning. Everyone else will know what's happened and compensate but you are new and won't know the deal yet." Cari was tempted to ask him to stay the night, to find her first thing in the morning. It was strange how a week of knowing him here and before that their travels had given her a friend she trusted. Perhaps it was because he was a Darkfriend. She wondered where things would go from there and wondered why she felt at ease around Demus'

Cari

"Tomorrow, when I wake, things will be different. The journal will remind me who I am and why I am present. I won't know you, except through the journal. Please be kind in the morning. Everyone else will know what's happened and compensate but you are new and won't know the deal yet."

It should have been a startling statement, but with everything else that had just happened, Demus took it in stride. After all killer fogs had just wiped out a chunk of their livestock and had taken the lives of people that lived here. Demus was still new enough to not greive too heavily over the loses, but he was sympathetic. His own loses were still held too closely to his heart not to feel for others.

He wrapped an arm around Cari's shoulder. "Then I guess I'll just have to re-introduce myself tomorrow." He said, just as quietly as she had. It was all he could give her at a time like this, acceptance and companionship. "Are they gonna be OK tomorrow?" He asked, nodding to the kids. He didn't really know what would happen, but if she needed someone to keep an eye out he would try.

((OOC: Awwe... my darkfriend has a warmer heart than my Aes Sedai... who'd have thunk.... um...well..nevermind.... if you've met Aramina.... :P))

dmdemus.jpg

Cari smiled. "I will be fine, but it will take a while for my senses to return. Once that happens things will be fine, all will be well."

Cari wasn't sure what she wanted to happen or if she wanted Demus to really see the innocence the lack of knowledge upon waking. The confusion and the lack of emotion over what has just happened.

The day grew on and Demus had stayed with Cari through out the day, helping tend the kids and herself. He was a thoughtful man and Cari would make sure she repaid the favor. As night fell Cari fell asleep on the couch with the children in her arms.

The roster crowed in the dawn and Cari woke with bleary eyes. It wasn't panic that set in but curiousity, she was eager to find out the days happenings. The journal would tell all and Cari would know why she had woken instead. Something aweful must have happened and it was all going to be painful, the children slept as Cari went for the journal and brought it to the table.

As she read the last few entries she cried. So much pain, so much death. She didn't know the people, but just knowing that she cared for some of them in another life made her heart weep.

Cari

Demus woke early, uncertain of what to do. There was always work to do and that wasn't his concern. He wasn't sure what to do about Cari. Her warning the night before had been a bit frightening if he were honest with himself, and he tried to be that if with no one else. What would Cari be like this morning? She woudn't know him, but he knew her, or part of her, and he still cared whether this part of her knew it or not.

In the end curiosity got the best of him, as it always did. He got dressed and did a few things around his place to straighten up, then made his way over to Cari's. He wasn't sure what to expect, but he knocked on the door anyway.

"Cari?" He called out. "It's Demus..." She had that journal. Would she have written about him? Would that name help him get in the door, or keep him out? He didn't know, but he needed to try. He needed to be a friend to the one person who had tried to be his.

dmdemus.jpg

Aiden opened the door and smiled at Demus. "Mommy's in the bedroom crying. I guess the journal was a bit more disturbing than what Mother thought it would be." He had specifically used the different names, and Aiden had stopped calling his mother Mommy when he understood the difference. Mommy was weak and caring but scared, and Mother was strong willed and their only provider. He knew the difference and helped where he could.

Aiden walked into the room and sat back in his mother's arms. "Demus' is here Mommy, he's a friend now." Cari looked up with tear streaked eyes. "You didn't get hurt did you?" Cari couldn't take another ounce of the pain of the loss of things on the ranch. "Of course not or you wouldn't be here." She hugged the children tighter. "You are a good looking young man. I wonder why I've not written that down." Cari started flipping back in the journal. And then Cari blushed. "Oh...."

Cari

Demus was impressed with Aiden. As difficult as life could be at times, the boy was doing his best to look after his family and Demus nodded to him as he was let into the house. He didn't understand the real difference between Cari and this person he was about to meet, but he felt like he needed to do this, to see the person she was when broken.

He entered the room and saw her crying and he almost took a step back. He wasn't used to the raw emotions he saw there.

"You are a good looking young man. I wonder why I've not written that down." He watched her flip through her journal then her startled "Oh...."

He smiled softly at her. "I just wanted to come check on you and the kids." He said in what he hoped was a compassionate voice. "Everything was... crazy yesterday." Crazy, like that encompassed everything that had happened the day before. He wasn't sure he had the words to say to her, but he wanted to try. "You're the only friend I have out here. If you need anything..." Ya. He was bad with this sort of thing, at being a friend. "I just wanted to check in on you and make sure you didn't need anything."

dmdemus.jpg

Cari felt slightly embarrassed being in the presence of one of her other lifes one night stands, except he lived her now and wasn't so much a one night stand. She knew the history between Sam and her other self, but this one was of no such history. "Do I consider you a friend?" And Cari again flipped through her journal. "It seems so, though you aren't mentioned much, you must be new around here."

Cari tried to puzzle things out and wondered if there was anything he could do to help. A knock came at the door. "Cari, you okay?" It was Glen. Aiden went for the door again and you could hear whispered talking then Glen stepped into the room. "Kate, come on, hun, let's go get ready for school. Your mother looks like she needs a little help today." Glen turned to Cari and Demus, "We'll help the both of you out today, Nathan will understand Cari's absense, but I feel that she needs a bit more of a friend than the rest of us can handle and cover her work. Demus' I'll get ya half a day today so you can tend to Cari. Someone has to do it, might as well be the stray she brought in." Glen smiled at the last comment. He was joking and Cari hoped Demus would take it that way. Glen left with the children and closed the door behind him.

"Did you know the people who were killed very well?" Cari turned to Demus and fell into his arms in tears.

Cari

It was a marvel at times, to be among people that understood things and that did what needed to be done, instead of being on your own with no one to turn to. Not that Demus wanted to ever rely on anyone, but having people around to help because they could...well that was something different. He watched Glen as he entered and even smiled at his last remark. Cari's stray, was he? In a way he was. More than one if he thought about it too hard, which he had been trying hard not to.

He hadn't been prepared for her to fall into his arms then, crying. "Did you know the people who were killed very well?"

He did the only thing he knew to do. He caught hold of her and sat on the bed with her, running a hand down her hair and back, trying to give comfort that he knew words wouldn't. "No," he said honestly, "I didn't know them well. You're right that i'm still new here. I'd met them though and.. and I had problems sleeping last night. I imagine a lot of people did. But we made it out alive. Your kids are alive. That's what matters doesn't it? Life goes on and we still have that to hold onto."

He hoped the platitudes helped. He didn't have much else to give besides empty words of comfort and a set of arms to keep her upright and calm.

dmdemus.jpg

Cari didn't look up to meet his eyes, but she wanted to but she felt safe in his arms. "What's worse is that I cry more because I didn't know them and I clearly was hurt by their deaths." Cari sat up and looed at Demus, "Or I wouldn't be here at all."

Cari tried her tears and spoke calmly, changing the subject. "Did she tell you why I'm here? I mean the whole truth why I'm here?" Cari shook her head. "No probably not."

Cari looked back again at Demus, "Life was much different and when tragedy strikes my mind and body generally cannot overcome the damage. In the past I had voices, other personalities in my head. But one tragedy since then a new consequence developed for the fragile mind I held, a personality that wasn't a voice, didn't know what I was or even who I was. The other voices vanished into the darkness as I accepted them. Now we live normal lives." She waved her hands. "If you call this normal. I've been like this since I've been on the Ranch, and thankfully it doesn't happen often, but often enough everyone steps lightly around me. I hope I don't stay too long, there's alot of work to do around here and I can't do any of it." Cari looked away, she really disliked being helpless and the tears started to flow again. She wished and prayed that she would wake up normal tomorrow.

Cari

The whole thing was like a dream really. Or a nightmare, from her point of view he supposed. There was weakness here that Cari didn't normally show. No wonder she was keeping to herself. Violence did something to everyone, though everyone paid a different price. Demus wasn't one prone to violence for it's own sake, though he had never shied away from it either. He did what he did that that was the end of it. His belief in the world hadn't changed any. Might made right and the weak were later written down in history as evil.

But Cari... well... he had no idea what to say to her or how to try to make her better. He didn't know this woman at all. The other... he wasn't sure he knew her either but he could have at least made an educated guess. The question was, did he want to stick around and see how this went? Did he care enough about the other Cari to try to help this one too?

"I'm sure there are plenty of hands to help out until you're feeling yourself." He said without thought. He already knew the answer to his questions even if he didn't understand what that meant. And didn't want to at the moment. "I'll do what I can to help out to so if you need anything," he said, giving her his best smile, "I'm right here."

dmdemus.jpg

Cari smiled and changed the subject. They chatted for a while before Cari let Demus get to work. There were a few things she could do in the house that would take her mind off the situation. She didn't feel the grief she thought she should, and Demus' company only made that worry more painful. He hadn't known them either, and he couldn't tell her to be more sad.

She enjoyed his company and could see why she'd taken an interest in him before, he really was a handsome man, if a bit young.

The day dragged on and Cari was bored by the time Demus and the children returned. They played a few games and Cari tucked the children in bed. Cari waited for them to fall asleep before asking Demus, "Will you stay the night?" She blushed slightly. "I've not had a man's company in a long time." In actually never, but he didn't need to know that. She would let him assume what it was she wanted, but she mostly wanted to sleep with him near. He felt safe and maybe that safety would bring her back to herself.

Cari

• 2 weeks later...

"Will you stay the night? I've not had a man's company in a long time."

Another simple moment that showed that the woman before him was not the Cari that he knew. Demus had tried to prepare himself for it from the dark hints that Cari had given him, but nothing really had. Sometimes during the day, he had been able to forget, but moments like this just brought it crashing back down. But he cared for Cari, both sides of her. This one was weak, true, but this weakness enabled the other Cari to be who she was to his thinking, and he was OK with that. He wasn't perfect and had never thought to be. Let lightfools worry about perfection, he was simply here to live as best he could for himself.

He smiled at Other-Cari, as he thought of her, giving her a warm, accepting smile. "I'd like to stay." He said. He had no idea what she meant and he wasn't about to take a chance considering what he knew of her so instead of blunder over it, he simply opened his arms to her. Whatever the night would bring, it would bring, and the Great Lord give him the strength to see it through to morning.

dmdemus.jpg

Cari smiled and held out her hand to Demus. She wanted him to be close but she wasn't sure what kind of relationship she had with him. Other than Alex there was never much more than a name and the things they'd done together with Cari, nothing about how she felt about them. Cari wondered if she'd been burned too many times to feel for anyone again. That would be sad if that was the case.

Cari lead Demus to her room and changed into a loose fitting shirt that covered her more indecent peices. Cari had always wondered what others had thought of the defiling of her body with ink, but she knew why it had been done. It hadn't been for the art work, it had been for the pain. Cari shuttered and wondered why she was such an odd person out of this persona. She didn't think she'd ever understand the woman she was when she wasn't her. Now she was getting confused herself. She smiled a concerned look away from Demus' face and laid down softly in bed. "It goes where it goes." She patted the spot next to her and waited to see what the man would do.

Cari

OOC: This can be completly platnoic hehe... More drama to come in the morning lol.

When she patted the bed, Demus sat down and toed his boots off quickly. He pulled his shirt over his head but kept his pant on, then slid into bed beside this Cari. Something didn't feel quite right about all this so he just wrapped an arm around her and held her close to him. If she wanted more, he'd obligue, if she needed more, but he felt like he would be taking advantage of her if he made that sort of assumption and Demus wasn't about to do something to hurt his friend, even a part of her. He kissed her forehead lightly and just relaxed, letting the night take care of itself.

dmdemus.jpg

OOC: hehe

Cari snuggled beside Demus. For some reason he was comforting and she easily fell asleep. Dreams never came but the sleep was sound, peaceful, more so than it had been in many days, or so she thought.

Morning dawned and Cari woke with the crowing of the roster. Someone slept beside her but she didn't know who, why couldn't she remember. She opened her eyes slowly and saw Demus laying peacefully next to her. She smiled and wondered what had happened. Mmmmm...He looks delicious. Cari bolted upright. What?

A soft cackle in the back of her head resonated. What don't you remember me? I feel so neglected. -Why would she remember us?- *Because we are her.* Cari put her hands to her head and squeezed as hard as she could. You are suppose to be gone. Oh we've never been gone. Just biding our time till the time was right.

Cari sighed and looked over at Demus watching her. "What did we do last night?"

Cari had no idea who's idea this was or what was going on. How could they be back. Kayla whispered in the darkness. -We can't take control anymore, you did beat that, Marosa tried, but could never take control. You've beat her there. But we never left.- For some reason that didn't sound comforting.

In the back of her mind, in the depths of the shadows Cari could feel the Shadow lurking. Fear urged it's way through the surface, hopefully it couldn't take control. Hopefully she was strong enough to keep the darkness at bay with out the protection of the void.

Cari

//>> Cari's thoughts Marosa's thoughts -Kayla's thoughts- *May's thoughts* "Their voice"

OOC: Now that's a lot of voices :P~

Demus frowned as Cari watched him. No, she had looked at him for a moment, but now though she was still looking at him she wasn't seeing him. There was something going on behind those eyes, something he didn't understand. Bloody ashes, he didn't know what was going on anyway. This whole thing was way over his head, but he wasn't the type to back away when a friend might need him.

"Last night?" He asked. "You asked me to stay, don't you remember? I came to bed and slept here with you. Nothing happened." he said honestly. He wasn't sure if that was the answer she was looking for or not. His Cari might be angry at what she could see as taking advantage of the weak side of her. He just hoped she understood what he was trying to tell her. "I think you just needed a friend, that's all."

dmdemus.jpg

Cari smiled at Demus and raised her hand to caress his cheek. "I'm not mad, I just needed to know who brought you to my bed." She winked at him and leaned in to kiss the cheek she had stroked.

Oh do get on with it. Cari sighed. I still can't beleive you are calling yourself that now. What was wrong with Matalina? Oh shut up!

Cari reached under her pillow and read the last entry. "Only a day has passed?" That was bizarre, she wasn't 'healed', things had gotten worse. She turned to smile at Demus, "You must be too comforting for your own good. Thank you for being nice and there for us when I needed you most, I've a dept to repay."

Cari stood up from the bed. "I do hope you aren't disappointed in the events of last night." She turned her head to wink at him and proceeded to remove her night shirt before walking to her closet to rummage for a decent outfit for the day.

Cari

"The view now makes up for an disappointment from last night." Demus said with a light grin as he leaned back a little.

"Honestly, Cari, after what you did for me, did you think I could just walk away? I owe you a lot for what you did back in the city and for bringing me here. It's been a while since anyone helped me out like that. It.. it meant something to me. Especially with people of our kind." He let out a sigh. "I was glad I could do something, even a little something, to repay you for that."

dmdemus.jpg

Cari smiled as she pulled out a light grey workshirt. There was probably alot of work to do left from the disaster and she had no excuses now. Cari wondered why Demus played her game back. Most younger men took it as taunting and yet others only fell for it in the hopes of getting a more experienced woman in their bed. Cari pulled the shirt over her head and turned back to Demus. "You were hard to resist." Her smile broadened.

"But that doesn't mean you have to stick around. You got the luck of the draw as nothing I've done for you or with you has an agenda. And there are few who merit that response from me." Cari sat down on the bed and tugged on a pair of pants. "But I thank you for your friendship, it means alot in a place of darkness."

Cari leaned back on the bed and laid her head down on his lap. "Why do you play along with my games?" She really didn't expect an answer, but she smiled up innocently at him anyway. You've gotten good with out my coaching. Shut up, and don't ruin it now.

Cari

OOC: You'll see alot of Marosa, she's by far my most favorite voice hehe. And the one with the most personality.

"Why do you play along with my games?"

"What else have I got to do out here? We live on a Ranch after all..." was the answer he gave. He had no other really. Demus had always loved women. He felt a pull to be near them and enjoyed the arts of seduction that he had been taught to woo them and having been wooed by them. There was comfort for him in the arms of a woman, comfort that he got no where else.

But why this particular woman? There were other woman at the Farm that he could have worked his charms on. Cari was a mystery to him though, someone who didn't fit into the pattern of the world. Like his own humble beginnings. Born into the Children of Light, no one would have suspected him of becoming a DarkFriend later in life. Nor would they have suspected his first act in his dark life would be to avenge what he considered to be betrayal by a man that had claimed to care for his mother until her death.

There were no answers here, just a beautiful pair of eyes staring back up at him, questioning. He ran a hand through her hair and smiled. "Of course if the games keeps switching I think I might need a rule book."

dmdemus.jpg

Cari smiled at Demus' quip. "Sometimes I think I need a rule book." Cari sat up and gave Demus a soft kiss on the cheek. "Thanks for being there."

Cari stood up and tossed Demus' his shirt. "I'm sure you were wearing that yesterday, you wanna change. I think we should head to breakfast so that we can get started on today's clean up." And it was back to business. Cari wasn't sure if this was the way to go, but she couldn't sit and do nothing. It would only bring back the pain she had healed over a day. That still bothered her.

"I will wait for you outside your house." She smiled innocently at him. For only having shared a bed once, Cari wondered why she felt the attraction to flirt overly with Demus, but it wasn't here nor there, there were things to do.

Cari sat on Demus' front door step and waited for him to return.

Cari

OOC: Nona said she might drop in so I'm making it so we can move into the kitchen and see what's going on there. If she doesn't show up we can wrap it up or start phase 2 of the aftermath.