DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Deployment Stretegems ((ATTN: Arath))

Kura

Sereth’s body was nearly exhausted, working through the exercises that Arath had put him through. His mind however, was vibrant; relishing in the new exercises it was being put through. Still, he saw holes in the Asha’man offensive, ones that needed to be filled in if they were to succeed. He decided to bring these up with the man who’d just taught the class.

“Storm Leader Arath… If I may take a moment of your time, I have a few things to talk to you about. I have some ideas about deployment strategies that might be of use to us.” He kept out the fact that he had been studying tactics as often as he had philosophy in the past. He needed these ideas to seem to stem from him, even if Arath was clever enough to know the source, or at least the inspiration of the ideas.

It was still a shock to see Arath in the new coat, even though Sereth felt he deserved it long before this time. He taught nearly everyone at the Farm, and was a pivotal figure in the minds of all the Asha’man. Still… he had always be Attack Leader Farnigal… This could help him though; he was talking to a man with even more influence now.

“Though our power in standard rank and file is, well, I’ll say it is down right impressive. I feel that using only this technique is a waste of our potential. We have hunters in the Tower with us, sir. We should use them.” Their, the basis of his idea. He of course had the fleshed out idea already in his mind, but needed something to keep the man’s attention. After all, he’d hardly spoken to Arath, and that first impression needed to be done away with. No matter how much better he liked his former self, this new one was more important…

• 2 weeks later...

Arath had expected to be set upon by any number of Asha'man with ideas for battle tactics.  Many of the borderlanders had come forward, offering their 'superior knowledge' on shadowspawn maneuvers.  He wasn't expecting to be approached by Sereth though.  The quiet Asha'man who could be found lost in a book more often than not.  Though come to think of it, Arath wasn't sure what kinds of books Sereth read.  He wouldn't have put it past him to have read more than a few about military matters.  This timid behavior would have to go though.  It wasn't exactly befitting for an Attack Leader.

"Hunters?  Tell me then.  How would you use hunters in a large scale battle?"

OOC: Sorry it's short, but there's not much to go on. :P

Edited in light of your promotion happening at the same time as mine.

Sereth held back a sigh of relief. Good, he is listening... "Well sir, we let them do what they do best. Elite squads of Asha'man, I suggest 3-8 maximum sir, each capable of inverting weaves, with at least one man on the stronger side of the tower's power scale." He studied the man, taking a moment to gauge his reaction before continuing. "The purpose of these squads is to break off from the main force. As I said, our rank and file strength is great enough that I doubt they'll be missed."

"The purpose of these squads is to hunt out high priority targets, by using gateways or other means of transport. Soft targets such as supply trains, which the Trollocs must need, they have to eat even more than us if I'm not mistaken. Or perhaps to harry the rear or flanks of the main forces, or," this was the clincher, he had to present it right. "Strike squads of dreadlords." There, the bulk of his idea was out, he'd have to hammer out the finer details of it with Arath and perhaps the council later. For now it was enough to put the idea in this man's mind...

Arath listened carefully to what Sereth had to say.  It was actually fairly close to what he himself had done in Shienar before the dreadlord attacks.  Considering Sereth hadn't witnessed that particular part of the battle in Shienar, Arath was impressed. 

"Groups of seven or eight.  One maintaining a gateway for a hasty retreat, two to focus primarily on defensive weaves, four or five unleashing everything they can."  Arath nodded.  "That's what I did in Shienar while you were in Fal Moran.  Gateways opened up a short distance from the trolloc flanks and we all jumped through, focusing on the fades if we could.  Each strike only lasted until the enemy lost their shock and came after us in force, then we jumped back through the gateway.

"It went well until the dreadlords showed up.  A gateway takes enough of the power that it can be sensed from quite a distance, so whenever one opened too close to them they were ready for us.  Even if they couldn't tell exactly where it was they could sense the general direction."  Arath paused and considered the Attack Leader.  "How would you suggest overcoming that difficulty?"