DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Greetings!

Hello Dragonmount!

I am a long-time sci-fi/fantasy head; usually hang out at lotrplaza.

Last year I picked up the first book in the WoT series, and got hooked. I just finished the 11th book last week, and have ordered the prequel.

And, it was time to seek out other RJ fans. I look forward to posting here and reading many of the threads.

May you all find shade and water!

:) Ahh, another Aiel! Say 'friend' and enter! Welcome to DM! We are always curious when people new to the series arrive - who is your fav character, if you have one? Your fav book? Fav Randland country/people?  Tell!

Thanks, Krakalakuchna, Corki, Loreina and Winterwinds! It's nice to be a new face here on friendly grounds!

"Say 'friend' and enter! Welcome to DM!"

Thank you! You just hit a nail on the head. I've been a decades-long Tolkienite. And what fun to find you all.

I like the tone of the debates/discussions over here! More people who are capable of respectful disagreement is a good thing.

You seem to draw a more mature set of fans than many fantasy websites, which might be expected of Robert Jordan fans.

And it is more than nice, it is GREAT to find another fantasy master! Even if I am finding him later than you good people.

Ah, the fave questions . . . hmmm

I have a few faves--too hard to pick just one.

Maybe Mat is my very favorite character. But Egwene too; she's great. What a fantastic development she had gone through in what seems to be a very short period of time!

I like lots of the characters, however.

Rand, of course, though I wonder just how much damage this poor guy can take? And though he has hardened himself, he seems to retain enough trust to walk into traps yet?

Fave country? Hmm, that's tough. By the time I have read the series a second time, I may have a better feel for that one. Also, which of the books? I will hold off making a call just yet; just got done recently eating them up one by tasty one.

As for people, well of course I gotta like those hardy Two Rivers folks. I certainly like the Saldeaens(sp?)! Hot-blooded paisanos there! But there are so many of interest and I want to get to know them all better.

Least fave people are the Seanchan, that's for sure!

:) I picked up the Hobbit first, way back in '68, and then found the trilogy in '74. Been through two sets. Saw the animated films. Own all the collector's versions of the new films. Loved every minute, but I still wish he'd made four and kept all the parts he cut out. Selfish I am. *nods and sighs*

Well, the Seanchan kinda grow on you...a little...after a while...yeah, I'm not likng them much either, but I'm trying to keep an open mind for the next books.  :D

There are two things that stand out clearly to me about reading the series. It is so intensely layered(*) and complex(**) that the first read only suffices to provide an understanding of the action; you just cannot truly pick up all the clues as you are meeting so very many players and starting a (Light vs. Dark) scorecard. I know for sure I want to read it at least twice more to "get" most (hopefully!) everything and, beyond that, probably again and again down the road for pure enjoyment of Jordan's storytelling craft.

-----

(*)   Layered, though not in quite the same way as J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Jordan's layering seems to me to be more in the way of the historical and conspiratorial developments.

(**)  Complex in the cast, no less than Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars, et al.

Very true.  :) I'm only on my third read.  And that got derailed when I had to read the Twilight series my daughter was so thrilled with. It was good, but I'm going back to my WoT.  ;D

Archived