DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Snatch the pebble from my hand, young un (attn: Barmacral)

minisamus

"Wah, my first day to class and I'm already late!" She gasped, kneading her sides desperately for breath as her arms straightened from her knees.

Her time in the citidel thus far had not been good for her confidence. It wasn't a big place, nor had it been small enough that navigation would be no problem. Still, hopefully nobody who had been in that tavern that particular night would recognise her. Enough people had seen her for a girl that, had she not been fourteen and stupid, she would have given up and worn skirts. But this was practice after all, a training session she was now officially ten minutes late.

"Tris, go!" Forcing her muscles to keep moving despite the unfamiliar burn Tris ran on, convinced this way was the right path to the house. She told herself,Tris? You've gone too far to stop now. What's better, your bed or her?

"Sorry I'm late instructor my name is Tristram Landorin I'm the new student in the class I got lost it won't happen again!" she said hurriedly, bowing. Silence, then still with her head bent ". . . did I say anything wrong?"

Ooc: edited

OOC: This’ll be a little while after the night in the Tavern, not the next day.

IC:

Burgandy stood there waiting for the kid he’d been assigned to train, whomever it was. They were a good ten minutes late though, and that was a very bad start to training. After a few more moments of just waiting around he saw someone running towards him; looking a bit more closely at them he quickly realised that it was Tristam, the girl who had got him into so much trouble. The corner of his mouth quirked a bit towards a smile, this was going to be fun.

“Sorry I'm late instructor my name is Tristram Landorin I'm the new student in the class I got lost it won't happen again!” Tristam blurted as she arrived, not looking at him. He stood studying her for a moment, considering how he was going to go about training her when she spoke up again, “. . . did I say anything wrong?”

“You didn’t say anything wrong, no, however, you have made a mistake by being late to this class. Because this is your first class I’ll take it easy on you, but from now on if you don’t make it to class early, you will regret it.” Ignoring the girl’s reaction he continued, “I expect you to be early, because early leads to on time, on time leads to late, and late is unacceptable. You will stand at attention unless you are specifically instructed to do otherwise. You will march to my cadence, even when I’m not vocally calling it; you see, the Band may be fairly relaxed as an army, but all soldiers must know how to March in formation, a soldier without his comrades at his side is a dead soldier, no matter how good he is, and marching keeps everyone together. It’s also required for formal protocol.”

Waiting a few moments for her to digest all of this Burgandy then snapped “What are you waiting for? I told you to stand at attention. Now!” As she did what she was told he continued, “You will not like me at first as your instructor, but in order to get on to the fun parts of being a soldier you must learn the basics, so the faster you learn this, the sooner you’ll start enjoying the sessions. Do you have any questions Soldier?”

When the initial minutes of incomprehension passed, Tris Landorin of the Marna Stretch enterprises' face lit up in pleasure.  "Hi, Sir! Wow what a surprise, I was hoping to see you again. Standing at attention, right." She put her hand up in a salute and stood as straight as she could, still in a fine fettle. Although the path to the house was wrapped in the morning mist yet by the feel of the air it promised to be a sunny day. She was checking out the surrounding while tryng to keep her expression straight and somewhat failing "Yes I do have questions, Sir. Where are the other soldiers? Am I the only one learning basics? When do I start learning how to fight? And can I call you anything besides Sir? Remember me?" She waved her hands, then placed them behind her back and stood straight again.

Yep, his potbelly was visible although it seemed to have diminished quite a bit. Guess he was getting in shape, after all. She didn't really mind the yelling though. It was part of what she imagined soldiering would be, a lot of yelling. His voice was deeper so it didn't sound too shrill or annoying. Nothing aggravated her more than people whistling while she was trying to sleep in the early mornings. What was wrong with them anyway?

"Yes I do have questions, Sir. Where are the other soldiers? Am I the only one learning basics? When do I start learning how to fight? And can I call you anything besides Sir? Remember me?"

Burgandy scowled, though he had asked, so he really should have expected it; no matter though, he had a soldier to train. “First, you never call anyone the rank of Sergeant or below Sir, we are not officers, you will address me as Mr. Creator, ok, no you won’t, but you will address me Private, since that is currently my rank. You are the only trainee in my charge, and you will be learning the most basic things today. We will be fighting today, but you won’t be touching any weapons until I feel that you’re competent enough not to cut your own foot off with one.

“There’s a sparring ring nearby that I’ve booked, you will be marching there on my cadence. Everything happens on your left foot, turning, starting, stopping, everything. You will move your right foot forward between steps with your left foot so it doesn’t get left behind. Are you ready? Forward… March!

“LEFT. LEFT. LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT…”

The two of them walked to the sparring ring in relatively short order, Tristam proving quite handily that she had never marched before and was clearly not used to it. Stepping into the ring he walked a few paces and turned towards Tristam.

“Ok, first I’m going to see what you’ve got in you, I am going to stand here and not move, merely attempt to remain standing. Your job is to knock me over.”

OOC: Go nuts, you can succeed or fail as you choose.

Oh goody. She was the only trainee in the private's charge, meaning they didn't have to wait for other latecomers to start learning those basic things she had so been looking forward to. Guess it would be nice to stay in bed rather than learning but hey, look at all those fighters training! Some were more skilled than others but at least they all had weapons. Apparently she couldn't touch one without injuring herself and, judging by what had gone down in the tavern she did not blame him. Private Anon, which was what he'd be called by the way since she still didn't know his real name, was leading them to a structure he had called the sparring ring, but in the meantime they were to practice marching. Tris found marching to be very confusing and tedious, since her left foot had to start everything, and she never worried about which foot going where in her daily activities. Turning was especially challenging and it was not long before she had ran out of patience and was more than ready to throw in the towel on this whole marching business when Private Anon turned his head her way and beckoned her to march into the spar circle. She would have been more impressed had she not been so fatigued. By this time she had been sweating so hard she could have watered a garden of flowers.

The next activity proved more fun than marching, although she had to try thrice before taking a wild charge at the Private and, rather than giving him a forceful push her entire body propelled into his, the momentum of which knocked him off his feet.

"Aw, crap" cried Tris, "sorry Private!"