DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

David Eddings passes away

Werthead

No, no!  :'(

I've been doing an Eddings re-read lately and am currently on Sorceress of Darshiva.  I've always enjoyed going back and re-reading his books when I was waiting for the next book in one of my other favorite series to come out. 

This truly is sad news.

That is sad news as it was Mr Eddings that got me into the whole fantasy genre. One reason I liked the 2 series I read (The Elenium and The Tamuli) were they were easy reads.

He'll be missed a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Geeze...I didn't even know that. I've read the Elenium and Tamuli and the Belgariad and the Mallorean and Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Soceress, Rivan Codex, all of those tens of times.

Just to make sure, Piers Anthony, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are all still alive right?

I only stumbled across this sad news by accident this morning, and felt compelled to add my tuppenceworth.

Like many of the respondents so far, David Eddings was my gateway to sci-fi/fantasy.  A girl for whom I carried an unrequited torch, left a library copy of Domes of Fire laying idle at my place once, and I started reading, out of a lack of my usual material... it was only a recent release at that stage, and so, being an urchin of means (at that stage) and much spare time, I trolled the back catalogue, initially working through the Elenium{/i] (since I was already into the Sparhawk saga), and then through The Belgariad and The Malloreon while I was waiting for the release of the Shining Ones.

The same girl also introduced me to The Wheel of Time soon after, and while I certainly felt RJ's works to be infinitely better fleshed-out, and a more credible and "real" (and I guess thusly more "belieable" and engaging) read, I'd been at least interested enough in Eddings' books to enjoy Belgarath the Sorcerer and the Polgara companion later on.

Always sad to lose someone who has contributed positively in some way to your life.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this out on Brandon Sanderson's blog and was saddened to hear it. I read Tolkien in early middle school, and liked the fantasy genre, but never really went out to look for more until a couple years later. I picked up Pawn of Prophecy and was hooked right back in. I very well may have never discovered WOT if it wasn't for The Belgariad. He made me laugh more than anyone I had ever read. The stories were fun, simple, and entertaining. Not earth-shattering, change the genre books, but I don't think that was what he was aiming at anyway and that's fine. They were solid and easy to read, and you need those kinds of books. And as an adolescent boy, who didn't enjoy reading about Garion and Ce'nedra? Thank you Mr. Eddings, you will be missed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived