DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Trouble in the Dome.

Winterwinds

The rain pounded up against the window pane of Isabel's room in the Fortress of Light. The heavy rain meant there would be no field practice today for anyone save the scouts who needed training in this weather.

Sighing Isabel walked from her window and went back to polishing her armor. She had been at it for about an hour, and it was at a mirror like shine, and she didn't know if she could get it better.

Shaking her head and looking at the window again an idea formed in her head, she had not seen much of the Fortress beyond her room, perhaps she should go look around.

Smiling she pulled her armor off the rack, donned it and then her tabard, she then opened the door and wandered out with no real destination in mind.

A half an hour later she found herself in the Dome of Truth, and had to admit it was an impressive sight.

She was so distracted by the dome itself that she backed into a wall and knocked over a candle stand, which toppled over and landed up aginst a tapestry. Quickly jumping up and putting out the candles she was dismayed to find that the fabric was slightly scorched and had melted candle wax on it.

She was about to walk away and pray to the Light no one would notice when she heard footsteps aproching from behind. Turning she was shocked to see an Inquisitor coming her way..

Isabel Ravenswood

In over her head.    

Guion Hamarind was in a foul mood.  The drizzling rain plastered his lank brown hair to his forehead as he stalked across the open courtyard.  He hauled open a smooth wooden door and entered the Dome of Truth.  Shaking the droplets off of his snow-white cloak with disgust, Guion sensed something different about the room.  He peered around carefully.

Yes.  It was definitely darker over there.  One of the fool acolytes must have let the tallow candles burn out.  Guion walked in that direction, but a few feet away he drew up short with a grunt.  It was not an acolyte at all, but one of the newer recruits of the Children.  A woman, and a thick-bodied one at that.  With the armor and helm of a Child on, you could mistake her for a man.

Guion knew this one though, he had heard whispers of her strangely colored eyes from some of the other Children.  Isabel, that was her name.  He had wanted to get close to her himself, to determine if the rumors were true.  Unfortunately, in this poor light it was nigh impossible to see that she had eyes at all, let alone what color they were.

She was standing a few feet away from the extinguished stand lamp.  The candles were crooked, and one was on the floor.  Guion could detect a smell of burnt cloth coming from the tapestry on the wall.  So.  The clumsy ox had almost destroyed one of the brilliant tapestries depicting the history of the Children.  Well, a little scare would teach her to be careful next time.

"So Child Ravenswood, out for a stroll this morning, are we?"  He took a step towards her.  "Or perhaps just attempting some arson in the Dome of Truth?"  He gestured to the stand lamp, and her eyes widened.  He still could not see what color they were.  He took another step and grasped her forearm in an iron grip.  "No, I know, you came in search of an Inquisitor to confess your crimes to.  Well, Child Ravenswood, you have come to the right place."  Guion leaned forward toward her, but she couldn't shy away with the wall behind her back.  "So start confessing.  And begin with that."  He pointed to the singed tapestry.

Guion

Not in a good mood.

"So Child Ravenswood, out for a stroll this morning, are we?" The Inquisitor's voice was low, reminding Isabel of distant thunder. "Or perhaps just attempting some arson in the Dome of Truth?"

"N...no Inquisitor...I was..." he motioned towards the lamp stand and her eyes widened.

He moved forward and grabbed her arm with a grip like a steel trap, "No, I know, you came in search of an Inquisitor to confess your crimes to."

She was in trouble and she knew it.

"So start confessing.  And begin with that." the inquisitor said as he leaned in, he then pointed at the tapestry.

"I was...I mean, I came down here to look at the Dome." Her voice was weak, the Hand of Light scared her and he must of known it for he smiled. "I have no duties today, and I had not been able to get away to come here before...I was so distracted by the...reverence of the dome that I knocked into that lamp.."

She tried to swallow past the lump in her throat but it was no use....

Isabel Ravenswood.

Digging her own grave?

• 2 weeks later...

The fool's voice trembled as she tried to answer him.  "I was...I mean, I came down here to look at the Dome."  A sickly smirk appeared on his face; he knew that smile was capable of breaking the strongest of men.  She swallowed audibly and finished her explanation. "I have no duties today, and I had not been able to get away to come here before...I was so distracted by the...reverence of the dome that I knocked into that lamp..."

He took a step back, roughly releasing her arm from his grip.  The rumors about her eyes were true.  The golden eyes shining at him made him feel dirty.  And I touched her...Light preserve me!  Disgust tinged his voice as he replied.

"The reverence of the Dome, eh?  I've often felt it was best meant to inspire other emotions than reverence, Child Ravenswood. Like fear.  If you think the main level of the Dome inspires...reverence...perhaps you would be interested to see the cells where we put our Questioning skills to use.  They are not as well-lit as here, of course, but they are filled with many interesting implements used in the Art."  His voice lowered to a menacing whisper.  "I could give you a very personal tour, right now."

Her eyes widened and he let the sickly grin appear on his face again.  The sound of footsteps in the distance came to his ears, but he disregarded it.  Nobody would stop him from scourging this little Shadowspawn she-devil now.

OOC: Hope that sets it up for the 3rd character to enter!

Attracted by the commotion in the Dome, Lucine walked through the corridor. The echo of her footsteps helped her in figuring out where the walls were, fortunately the Children liked their walls thick and sturdy. The source of the commotion was ahead, she thought she could hear fear in one's voice, and disgust in another's... Sniffing the air, she recognised the scent of Inquisitor Hamarind... And he didn't seem to be in a good mood.

Sighing, she walked closer, adjusting the blindfold that covered her ruined eyes in the process before feeling the ground ahead with her walking staff to see if there was anything lying on the floor in front of her she could trip on. She could guess the general shape of a room when she was in one, but small things such as a step or two was beyond her.

- "Good afternoon Inquisitor Hamarind, Child... Ravenswood, i believe Guion called you? What seems to be the problem?"

Her voice, calm and soft spoken, was a sharp contrast to the emotions that seemed to flood the room when she arrived. A slight smell of molten candlewax and the tinyest hint of something scorched in the air told her pretty much what had happened, but she was interested to hear them say it anyway. Not strong enough to bear the metal armor of the Inquisitors, she wore simple white robes, though they were not any less white than the cloaks of the Children were expected to be.

Lucine

Wondering if they'll tell her the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Guion turned in surprise as the lilting voice of a woman came from directly behind him.

"Good afternoon Inquisitor Hamarind, Child... Ravenswood, i believe Guion called you? What seems to be the problem?"

He stifled a sigh...Lucine was a Child, but many considered her a charity case because of her blindness.  Guion knew better; she could tell more with her other senses than some sighted people could.  There would be no hiding what was going on here from her.

"Ah... hello, Lucine.  Child Ravenswood knocked over a stand lamp into one of the lovely wall hangings we have here in the Dome.  I was just...instructing...her in the need to be more aware of her surroundings."

He gave a direct look at Isabel to hold her tongue.  He turned back to Lucine before she could speak and continued, "I believe that she has learned her lesson...hopefully she will take care of the mess she made before she leaves the Dome."

Guion sketched a bow to Lucine; even though he knew the woman couldn't see it, she would likely feel the air flow past her and know anyway.  "If you will forgive me, Child Lucine, Child Ravenswood; I have other duties to attend to today."

He gave Isabel one last look that promised retribution in the future, and stalked out of the Dome back into the pouring rain.

Guion Hamarind

OOC: Just one more post of 250 from you Winterwinds and you will be done with your requirements and the class!  Feel free to continue the RP between you and Jehaine if you like. :)

The sound of another voice starteled Isabel from her state of shock, looking towards the voice brought the surprise of a blindfolded women.

She had heard stories drifting around the Fortress about a blind women who lived under its roof.

For some reasion the appearence of her seemed to unsettel the Inquisitor, which was all the better for Isabel.

Ah... hello, Lucine.  Child Ravenswood knocked over a stand lamp into one of the lovely wall hangings we have here in the Dome.  I was just...instructing...her in the need to be more aware of her surroundings." His voice carried a note of being in trouble, but still held the commanding tone that he had been using with Isabel earlier.

The figure nodded and the Inquisitor bowed to Lucine, who kept her face calm till the Inquistor had left to attend to other things.

Isabel then turned to the blind women and said "Thank you, I was afraid I was going to be the Inquisitor's next victem for a moment there." She then waited for the blind women's responce.

Isable Ravenswood.

Saved by the blind.

OOC: I will let Jehain post one last time, since it would be rude to now let him say what his blind Child of the Light has to say.

Lucine smiled at Isabel as the woman thanked her, walking past her to feel the tapestry. Isabel would notice that she reached straight for the slightly burned part, without needing to look around for it, despite it barely being visible to the naked eye. Lucine ran her finger along the fabric a couple of times, and took a deep breath.

- "Well, it doesn't feel that bad i suppose, nothing a little recoloring wouldn't be able to mask... Don't worry about Guion too much by the way, he's proud of the Dome and can get a little protective of it. Had there been a hole here, he'd have tossed you in the dungeon for a few days, though i don't think he'd go as far as to Question you for it."

Giggling softly, she lifted her walking stick, pointing it straight in the direction of the exit. With her free hand, she adjusted the blindfold slightly before continuing.

- "May i suggest we continue this conversation outside? Just in case you end up running into more trouble."

She winked at Isabel, and even though her eyelids would have been hidden behind the blindfold the movement of her cheek would still get the joke across. She turned, and started to walk towards said exit. Not hearing the sound of footsteps behind her, she turned around again to face the Child behind her.

- "Coming?"

Lucine

Blind, yet not helpless