DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Real world experiences from Randland

42Bonzo88

I just wanted to let you know of a small experience I had this week. It was quickly fixed but it really made me think of how lucky we are with our technology and medicines of today.

I was stupid enough to wrestle with my boy over Memorial Day. The stupid part was not that I was playing with my boy, or the part that he is one inch taller and about 50lbs. heavier (by the way he's only 14 years old so I'm in alot of trouble), the stupid part was that I didn't take off my glasses.

So, for the rest of that day, I could see clearly enough to not bump into things, but I couldn't read, or watch TV, or be on the computer, or do any paperwork. Ok, well that was the holiday so no problem. The next day I go to the eye doctor and they said it would take another day to get a part, so I had to go another full day without my sight.

Now, I had to call in to work and I was pretty much an invalid. Not that I could do some things like take the dog for a walk and do household chores, but I could not provide for my family and I couldn't do the things needed at my job. What was an inconvience for part of a day turned into so much more. What would happen if I could never get my sight completely back? How could I provide for my family?

Please understand that I am not making fun of people with more worse problems than I have and I'm lucky that I have my health and a job and my family. It just made me feel so much more greatful for what I have. Its amazing how two pieces of glass could be that important to me.

Now, to tie this in to Randland is Rand. He's going blind and look at what he needs to do. He can't just take a day off until he gets better, he doesn't know if he can be healed and that has got to freak him out a little. If he needed to shoot a bow, or needed to put Saidin in a specific place 100 yards away, will he be able to do it without his sight?

Has anyone here had an experience similar to what the characters are going through? A chorus to a song comes to mind: "Don't know what You've got; 'till it's Gone".

Yes I can tie Wot into RL all the time. Like when Im feeling really down I just think.

People in Randland cant even eat... Right now! cause everything is going bad before the food gets to the tables. And people getting lost in there house and ghosts and stuff...

So then I know that other people are suffering with me.. Like all those poor people in Randland that I can relate to.

So then I feel good

::)

42Bonzo88, did you ever think about getting a spare pair of glasses?

I think I've been through something similar to what Uno has gone through and Mat is going to go through.

Archived