DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Jaunt into the Countryside [ATTN: Rowul and Harron]

Guest Estel

Guest Estel

Carnhain scanned the countryside as he rode. He wasn't exactly searching for a sign of danger- with Scouts patrolling the entire Emond's Field area any regular bandit wouldn't have a chance of avoiding them, even a Warder would be hard-pressed to avoid their notice. Instead, he was taking it in. With his duties as on officer, and his overwhelming load of paperwork, it was difficult to go riding much farther than an hour away from the Citadel.

Today, though, he had an excuse. He and Rowul were looking at one of the colts a local farmer had for sale. Apparantly the animal was well thought of, but the price was too high for a farmer making a living off his land, raising sheep and growing tabac. The Band though, was always in need of new mounts, especially the cavalry and there were few prices too high for the Band's treasury.

"I think it's that one just over the hill!" he called back to his uncle who rode a little distance behind him. "Hurry up, I still want to get back to the barracks before darkness falls, I don't like risking Fire's legs for nothing more than a jaunt into the countryside!"

Closing the distance between where he had been and the farm, he reined Fire and dismounted. He wasn't here to over-intimidate the farmer- though Rowul said intimidation usually helped with the bargaining process. That was why he was decked out in a pair of fine, black wool breeches as a red coat, cut as fine, with the Band's Red Hand and his own steed of fire on a field of black.

Glancing around, he finally spotted a boy, a year or two younger than himself, herding the sheep back into their pen for the night.

"Hey, boy!" Despite the minimal age difference, Carnhain treated the boy as an inferior, not insultingly, but Carnhain knew he held power. "Do you have a colt for sale?"

ooc: sorry I missed this. Dern it, I hadn’t given Harron too much thought because I was so involved with Noy. K, I have really been looking forward to Rping this rascal. Well, notice the place I put Harron in, the Infantry. The bloody, gory, frontline battle place. Oh boy, can’t wait to RP after his first battle. Hope no one minds a little NPC with the Parents. Ahh, it’s hard not to switch from idiotic and naïve to just plain stuck-up.

IC: Harron al’Tennon was doing his usual farm work. That is, he was lofting around on a bale of hay, wishing that his parents would just realize that he was not going to do degrading farm work. He might have been inside stealing a few rolls, but his parents were extremely mad at him. So what? All he had done was try to use his sling to hit a boy. It was an accident that he had knocked Old Lady al’Seen’s walking stick out of her hands and made her fall. He wasn’t trying to do anything wrong…this time. But his fool parents were still convinced he had done it on purpose, said he could have seriously hurt her. Harron sighed, if only those fools would just realize that he didn’t need to know any values, or good manners, after all, he was going to become a great hero from out of the stories. Then everyone would respect him and no one would berate him, or think he was doing anything wrong. Harron was just envisioning his beautiful wife-to-be and all of his followers when a shout awakened him from his daydreaming.

“Hey boy, do you have a colt for sale?†Harron instantly disliked the man who spoke to him this way. He decided to be rude right back towards him. “Perhaps, what’s it to you?†It was then that his no good father decided to rush out and berate him. “Boy! What are you doing lying around? How many times do we have to tell you-“ he cut off as soon as he saw the two men dismounted and looking fearsome; at least to a farmer. “Hello, what did you say again? I am sorry, I had to deal with my ungrateful son right here.†Harron stiffened at the insult, no one ever gave him the respect he deserved! When his father found out that they were interested in buying horses, he rushed them right inside the house. “Yes, we do happen to have a colt that we are willing to sell. We were lucky enough to get a good few colts and now we are up on horses.â€

While they were bargaining, Harron was extremely bored. After a while of painstaking moments of nothing to do and forced to do nothing with other people, Harron finally noticed something that his father seemed to have missed. These men had outlander written all over them! He was not just going to sit back and watch an outlander be rude to him, and probably mock him with his father. “Well, since you are so obviously and outlander, tell us where you are from.†Harron’s father was now glaring at him, and looked absolutely furious that Harron had butted into the conversation in mid-word. “Please sir, you will have to excuse him, he is a foolish boy. All he does is sit around all day and pick daisies. And daydream, of course.†Harron’s father added the last part as an afterthought, like he was ashamed to admit that he disliked Harron. “It’s not important, what’s wrong with daisies? Anyway, anyone can tell that you are not from around here, so where are you from?

ooc: dern, we gotta think of a way to dump harron on you guys. :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Estel

The boy's insolence grated on Carnhain's nerves and the young Lieutenant glared at the boy. The tone in which he answered was anything but kind. "We're from the Band of the Red Hand, boy." he growled, longing to slap the boy across the face with his gauntlets. He used the term 'boy' lightly, the man was hardly a year or two his junior.

After that, he purposely turned towards the older man- obviously the father- and repeated his question. "We're Lieutenants Rowul and Carnhain Stromblade and we're looking to buy the colt you have- that is if its for sale."

ooc: sorry...kinda inspirationless...but I'll wait for Rowul to post

"We're from the Band of the Red Hand, boy." Harron stiffened and was about to say something, but his father's hand in front of his mouth stopped that temporarily. The fool outlander continued on to say, "We're Lieutenants Rowul and Carnhain Stromblade and we're looking to buy the colt you have- that is if its for sale." His father immidiately jumped in. "Forgive him, we had no idea that you were a memeber of a member of the Band of the Red Hand. We hear that you disapline is good enough to bring even this rascle to heel."

Harron's father's eyes took on a devious glint to them and he continued. "Yes, as I said, we certainly do have a colt, and I am definately willing to sell it to you. In fact, I will give you a discount if you take the boy here with you to learn the ways of the soldier. We hear that you are honorable and just and it would be perfect for Harron to go with you, and learn your ways."

His father's eyes turned from exited to desperate, and his mother joined in. "Yes, we have tried everything, and we are certain that you will have a great affect on him. He should go with you, really!" Harron could easily see through their plots, they just wanted to get rid of him. Although he was feeling contempt towards his parents, an idea struck him: if he went along with this, his goal of glory would be furthered after he easily conquered the Band with his amazing abilities.

To play along, Harron spoke. "Oh, yes! I had no idea that you were in the Band of the Red Hand, I am so very sorry for my past actions. If I had know of who I was speaking to I never would have ever let those words come out of my mouth. Please forgive me." Harron bowed his head and could see his parent's gapes at his behaviour. With a hidden smirk because of their reactions, Harron waited for the men's reply.

ooc: hope this works

• 1 month later...
Guest Estel

ooc: I guess Ramza's not gonna show...so it's just you and me...

ic:

A raised eyebrow met the boy's sudden change in attitude. Did he really think he was fooling anyone? Carnhain had his share of enemies and this boy might just add himself to that list if the Lieutenant had to stand his presence much longer.

"The Band is not for the undedicated." The warning was for both son and father. From what the cavalryman could see, there was no way the boy would last a week. "It is an army and discipline is of extreme importance." Carnhain cast another scathing look at the boy. "Please, master, I'm here about the horse, not daydreaming boys."

• 3 weeks later...

"The Band is not for the undedicated It is an army and discipline is of extreme importance." Carnhain cast another scathing look at the boy. "Please, master, I'm here about the horse, not daydreaming boys."

There his father sputtered: "But sir, if you take the boy, we'll give you the horse free, no charge at all!" At that, Harron's eyes widened. Light, they were trying to sell him. It wasn't even putting him into the bargin, they were just plain selling him.

Harron felt like snorting but he refrained. If he wanted to live his dream of becoming a great General or Commander or whoever lead the armies, he would have to be a good little boy, very obediant and kind... until they got there.

Oh well, he could manage for just a short time. It was not as if it was the worst thing in the world, Harron was sure that he could escape all work at this Band of the Red Hand. Harron made his face innocant and his voice eager.

"Yes, sir, I swear that I'll be good." He was laughing internally, what a joke.