DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dunbar/Demi's movie of the week: Top Gun

Dunbar

So, because I can't live without your acceptance and I'm a sucker for group pressure, I just now, within 20 minutes ago, finished watching Top Gun. And what a ride it was. I can safely say, that this is, indeed, the greatest movie ever made. It's a deep and involving drama about flying an airplane, but more importantly, about the death of loved ones and about repressed homosexuality. The film holds no punches, and it's characters are as deep and involving as the film itself: Cruise's performance will blow you away, and Val Kilmer as the "antagonist" Iceman is also gratifying. Of course, they resolve their relationship towards the end ("You can be my wingman any time").

Also, some really cool flight sequences, which will leave you at the tip of your proverbial seat!

Here is a list of things I learned from this movie:

• Never leave your wingman.
  • The navy isn't just a job, it's an adventure
  • Tom Cruise is a gentle lover
  • Good grace, great balls of fire!
  • Every point counts
  • Topless volleyball is the number one pastime for navy pilots
  • Highway to the danger zone
  • Flipping the bird whilst upside down above another jet fighter: f*cking awesome
  • Bogeys are enemy planes (THE MORE YOU KNOW)
  • If you're too close for missiles, switch to your guns!
  • White undies. Oh yes
  • Sunglasses everywhere!
  • You can hit on your instructor if you know a lot about migs
  • Tom cruise isn't happy unless he's at mach 2 with his hair on fire
  • If you break hard, your enemy flies right by
  • You can be my wingman. Anytime. ;)

Also, it's got a topless volleyball scene. Topless. Male. Volleyball. Tom. Cruise.

And now, lastly, but not leastly: a recap of this movie, in pictures.

top_gun_maverick_tom_cruise_suited.jpg

topgun12l.jpg

top_gun_goose_and_maverick.jpg

2795_image_5-p.jpg

topgun01.jpg

topgun.jpg

986TGN_Val_Kilmer_006.jpg

top-gun-251.jpg

gunlove.jpg

B-Jet-Plane.jpg

topgun2.jpg

topgun2.jpg

But yeah, awesome film

Did you know they are planning to do a remake of Top Gun?  Tom Cruise will be the flight instructor, but I can't see how aero dogfighting can relate to today's threats against the US.  Even the F-14s they flew in the movie have been declared obsolete and there really isn't any county in the world with jet fighters that can threaten an American jet, and the terriosts wouldn't be able to get their hands on MiGs and learn to fly them and keep them fueled and armed.

And if they tried attacking with those two seater puddle jumpersthat would be like trying to fight a tank with a pellet gun.

Dunbar, that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time.  I officially knight you as a Spymaster Favorite...

Of course I'm no longer the Spymaster, so doing such is just weird now, especially since I don't even write the column...

You know, really me knighting you at all is kinda gay.

*shrugs*

JD,

'Chan

• 2 years later...

Archived