DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Fantomboo

The Great Library

I think Kelly has an Aes Sedai ring tattoo? And some others have the wheel and serpent logo from the books. Is that what you mean?

I think Kelly has an Aes Sedai ring tattoo? And some others have the wheel and serpent logo from the books. Is that what you mean?

Yes!

I don't have the courage to get a tattoo, but if I do get one, it would be from the series.

<coughs while trying not to choke on the dust being cleaned away>

Wow! It has been a while since the library has been used. Hopefully that will be changing.... Sorry for being such a poor keeper over the last several months. A little explanation oh my lack of performing my duties. First off I tried to be super human and took on a full load this semester at college; however this has been a complete and utter failure. Since life has been constantly urging me not to be as attentive to classes as I should be, something about being married having 3 children at home and a full time job. I am having to drop a couple of classes which is a bummer, but no the end of the world.

Okay, enough about all that stuff. The library is going to be getting back in order and the monthly discussions will be returning shortly. With everything that has been going on I have even slacked in my reading. I have not even read the last WoT book that was released, and I have had it since release date. (I know shame on me) However. I have been reading over the last week "The Wise Mans Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. I have to say that it is amazing just like the first book. I am a little more than halfway through the book, hoping to finish up this week if all goes well with my free time. For those of you that have not read the first book in the series it is titled "The Name of The Wind"; this is a must read if you have not. In the second book Patrick begins right where he left off without much mumbo jumbo in back story; which I find to be great! The story quickly unfolds into an amazing tale of adventure.

With all this being said, it is good to be back in the steading and around all you guys.

Due to a series of unfortunate events, I recieved a free copy of Pete Orullians, The Unremembered.

Now I have a new book for my "to read" list....and it didn't caost me anything.

Some suggestions for fantasy readers: The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings, Assassins Apprentice by Robert Hobb and of course Legend by David Gemmel.

For the more historically minded among you, Bernard Cornwell's series on King Arthur instantly jumped onto my favourite ever list- no easy feet. Sadly I forget now what they were called but a quick google should tell you.

Robert Hobb is great. Also (though I may have mentioned this elsewhere), anyone interested in a good space opera should check out the MASSIVE Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Another good spacey book I just finished (for the third time) is Timothy Zahn's Icarus Hunt. Completely throws you for a loop, in typical Zahn fasion...

Its a trilogy, fantomboo! Hope youve read them all!

Ooh for sci fi i thoroughly suggest orson scott card's ender seriesz, especially the first one, Enders game.

Wow thats a difficult question. Theyre a kind of psychological sci fi series...i dont know if I'v read anything very similar to them :/ I shall think on this and get back to you.

After he wrote the series he wrote "enders shadoe" which is exactly the same storyline as "enders game" but from the perspective of a secondary character, and yet still interestig. Very very clever writing.

Reading about it on Wikipedia it seems it may have similarities to many of the early and pre space race writers. Sounds like a good read. I sense elements of Starship Troopers, Logan's Run, and early sci fi writings.

OMG! I just finished the second book in Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles The Wise Man's Fearand it is without doubt the best thing I have read since LotR and WoT! The first book, The Name of the WInd was very good, but this one is even better!

Has anyone ever read the Night Angel Trilogy? I've read the first one and was wondering what the others were like in comparison

I thought the story was pretty good, just... Kinda dark for my taste I guess

**bookmarked** *shakes slightly from excitement from all the Books and Authors being mentioned*

I must say that while having read a fair number of mentioned authors there is a awe-aspiring amount of... diversity to choice some new reading from.

Lol reading the last post makes me laugh because that's the series I was going to bring up anyways, I have all three books though I got stuck between the second and the third so I never finished it. Was pretty mad the way the second ended but my sister (who seems to be able to read the last book of a series) says that the part I was so miffed about was addressed in the third. So I might get back to them when I stop reading all my books all the computer. I liked them for the... unique style (dark) that I don't usually read and like, so while I am a thumbs up for reading them I know they're not for everyone. I would skim through them and compare the first and second for you but someone borrowed the first one from me and I can't recall overly much of what happened in the first one.

I have recently acquired the firrst four GRRM books on pdf for my reader. unfortunately the display is tiny font, so I have to navigate left and right for each line on the page after zooming in a little bit. But, I will finally be learning what this is all about.

Hi, all! Love to see lots of other readers. :) I definitely approve of the reading of Discworld books--I love them so much. :)

I've been rereading the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. It starts with Leviathan and moves on to Behemoth[/g] with Goliath due out in September. It is a young adult series but don't let that hold you back. It is alternative history, steampunk, with some crazy biology and technology stuff. And it is lovely--they illustrated it like books around the turn of the 1900s would have been. Really great.

Hello Yahna. Sounds like an interesting read.

Just thought I'd add that on top of the digi copies of GRRM's aSoIaF, I have also purchased the Mistborn trilogy. I went to the Border's in town(Liquidation sale). Prices haven't dropped that far yet, but it was the last set, so I snagged it.

I just discovered Neal Stephenson. Picked up The Diamond Age or A Young Ladies Illustrated Primer at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago and literally blew through it in almost record time (for me). It was a deep, thought provoking, character driven story set in the not too distant future. Funny, I'm almost certain this is the type of book I would have hated a few years ago - pretentious, slow at times, with a hefty dose of weirdness (along with a ton of cryptic Chinese culture stuff) and no real ending, just an end.

tumblr_lbw7uxK9ZB1qa8jn6o1_400.jpg

I just started Snow Crash this afternoon and am already drawn in. I've read that this is the original cyberpunk novel. Pizza delivery boy in our world, warrior prince in the web...

SnowCrash.jpg

Edited by HighWiredSith

I read his Anathem, and was like "Hhmm...ok...so?" Usually when that happens, I put it away and read it again in a couple of years. Sometimes it improves with age. :biggrin:

About 2 weeks ago I read "The Map of Time" it is a new release and was named one of the must reads of the summer. Most of the reviews I saw on this book were really good; this is why I picked it up. However after painfully reading the whole thing I beg to differ on those reviews. It was mediocre at best. The author took the story of H.G. Wells and the time machine and wrote a book around the story. Most of the book was overviews of the "The Time Machine" and the other part was word vomit. The book had lots of potential. While it was not the worst book I have ever read; it rated very close to the bottom of the list. It was not the writing that was all that bad; just the way the story was told. The ending was good and made me feel a little better after wasting the hours reading the first 3/4 of the book. My suggestion: Don't waste your time, even if you have nothing else to read do not read this book.

Here is a good review of the book for you take a look at.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-the-map-of-time/2011/06/09/AGn0jwpH_story.html