DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Fantomboo

The Great Library

No, sorry, I meant the novella about Bree is now online.  Although, Warbreaker was too, I'm pretty sure, but I could never find it or the hardback. So I was glad to finally find a paperback of it.

I have 'Kindle' on my birthday wish list.  :)

Yeah I know what ya meant, I did not set my sentences right, that is what I was saying, but I went to the sight and you have to read it there you cannot copy it or anything. Yeah Warbreaker is online in several different versions including the final draft.

I just read the DM news post on Towers of Midnight! Wow! I can't wait! It sounds like we finally get to see Mat and Thom go rescue Moiraine!  And Perrin will do more wolf stuff, huzzah!

I downloaded a free app for my iphone that has thousands of (older) books available to download and read......of course I find out later that without purchasing the 1.99 version I am limited to 5 downloads.  ::)

There is also a kindle app. 

My son wants a Droid Incredible, and I saw where it has a Kindle app. So cool! But yeah, he'll probably have to pay if he wants to read anything new.

*Wanders in marveling at the beautiful library* Hey there :) I haven't used a kindle yet but I just bought a Nook and am loving it. You can read ebooks free while in Barnes and Noble stores as well.

Thanks Cherise. :) It's an old username I dusted off for the board, since I couldn't think of a WOT name for myself, but now that I have started writing poetry again I guess it sticks. :) I enjoy your architecture thread by the way. :) Kiserai ti Wansho! :D

I'm curious to see if anyone ever read any of Mitch Albom's books. He wrote The Five People you Meet in Heaven, One more Day, Tuesdays with Morrie etc...

I've read The Five People you meet in Heaven.

It was very touching, but I didn't particularly like the premise of having to... wait.

Well, it's been a busy few months, but I have had a few moments to do some reading. I've recently started a reread of the WoT in time for ToM in November, but I've also been reading some more of Mark Chadbourn's modern fantasy books; the Age of Misrule trilogy. Recently got CJ Sansom's latest book in his Shardlake series; this one called Heartstone. I'm looking forward to this one. :)

:) I've been rereading Tolkien, mostly for school use. I'm looking for a good book that's NOT a series. :lol:

Anybody read David Zindell's Lightstone series? Or David Keck's Eye of Heaven ? Worth the money? :)

I haven't, although I've seen some of Zindell's books in the library. I might check them out myself. :)

I must admit, I've been looking for some standalone fantasy books, too. Just about everything I've read lately seems to be part of a series. I don't mind trilogies, though. Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana is excellent and is contained in one book, as are most of his other works, so you might want to give them a try, Loreina.

Pardon for the double-post, but I'm getting close to the end of my WoT reread - up to Knife of Dreams (I can't update my sig with the book I'm currently reading) - and I'm really looking forward to Towers of Midnight now. I can't wait until November!

Heartstone by CJ Sansom was excellent: as good as I was expecting. This one focuses on Shardlake's investigations of supposed mistreatment of a ward on a country estate, and a quest to find the truth behind a London acquaintance's detention in Bedlam. The quest for the truth of the matter takes him to Portsmouth, and King Henry VIII's new ship, the Mary Rose... I loved this book, and the end came far too quickly for me!

I'm curious to see if anyone ever read any of Mitch Albom's books. He wrote The Five People you Meet in Heaven, One more Day, Tuesdays with Morrie etc...

As I recall, Tuesdays with Morrie was very good. Five People, not so much. But then that may have something to do with the fact that I related a bit more to Tuesdays than Five People. I read Tuesdays with Morrie shortly after my dad died from MS. It resonated with me. Haven't read the other one.

It has been a long while, but I'll give you what I know. Tuesdays with Morrie is about a guy who reconnects with his college professor to find out he has ALS. The story is about their visits toward the end of the professor's illness. Very touching and very sad.

Five People You Meet in Heaven is about an old guy who works at a carnival, like coney island, only I think it is called Ruby Pier? He dies saving a girl from a roller coaster accident, and the five people he meets are the five people who influenced his life the most. Or whose life he influenced the most? I don't exactly remember the technical details.

Those are the basics of what I remember, though I see that your post is several months old. Hope this helps.

As I recall, Tuesdays with Morrie was very good. Five People, not so much. But then that may have something to do with the fact that I related a bit more to Tuesdays than Five People. I read Tuesdays with Morrie shortly after my dad died from MS. It resonated with me. Haven't read the other one.

It has been a long while, but I'll give you what I know. Tuesdays with Morrie is about a guy who reconnects with his college professor to find out he has ALS. The story is about their visits toward the end of the professor's illness. Very touching and very sad.

Five People You Meet in Heaven is about an old guy who works at a carnival, like coney island, only I think it is called Ruby Pier? He dies saving a girl from a roller coaster accident, and the five people he meets are the five people who influenced his life the most. Or whose life he influenced the most? I don't exactly remember the technical details.

Those are the basics of what I remember, though I see that your post is several months old. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info on Tuesdays. I haven't read that one yet, so I can't rate it compared to Five People. I even saw the movie made from the book. It was amazingly touching. Yes it was Roby Pier, loosely modeled off of Coney Island and the Santa Monica Pier. Ot was strange, like things came full circle. He turns out to have been responsible for the deaths of two of the people he meets, even though he didn't know it. So in some cases people reconcile with him and in others he with them. I found it a beautiful story.

My WoT reread is coming to an end, as I've just picked up The Gathering Storm, and it'll seem like a long wait until ToM is released. I haven't made up my mind what to read in the meantime, so I might be taking a trip to my local library to see what they've got. Unfortunately, their selection of fantasy and SF books (the genre I read the most) seems to be dwindling. A shame, that.

Our library has very little SF and fantasy. :sad: I usually have to go to the second hand book store or if I want it badly I'll make a trip to BAM or Hastings.

I don't think I'll reread the whole series. Maybe just the last few. :wink:

I'm beginning to wish I'd started later on my reread - I've finished it, and didn't know what to read. I didn't want to get into another big series, and standalone fantasy novels (that I haven't read) are quite scarce.

I did find a bit of a bargain today, though. Looking around the charity shops whilst starting my Christmas shopping (yes, I know it's still very early :tongue::smile: ), I found a couple of books by a lesser known fantasy author - The Darkweaver Legacy, by Mark Robson. I'd only heard about him from the other forum I usually visit, where he's a regular, and I was quite surprised to find that the books were signed! I also found a birthday and Christmas present for my Dad - a pair of crime novels that he's been looking for for a while now. :happy:

I don't mind telling you: I've never felt more like an Ogier today. My bag was more or less full of books! :laugh:

I just started reading the Bourne Identity a couple weeks ago, but I am seriously contemplating putting it aside, and challenging myself to a WoT cram reread...Lol.