DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Fantomboo

The Great Library

Ok, I know Well of Ascension and something Souls or something like that is next. Is it just a trilogy? Holy crap it was AWESOME! I couldn't put it down! Don't have a copy of Well of Ascension here is Russellville, so I'm starting The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. Supposed to be a good space-opera. We'll see...

Well, I finally finished tGS.  Instead of jumping into Elantris though, I have a detour through Discworld that people here have been anxiously awaiting my perusal. 

Well, I finally finished tGS.  Instead of jumping into Elantris though, I have a detour through Discworld that people here have been anxiously awaiting my perusal. 

It's about time!  :P

I ordered Ozzy's new book yesterday. Hopefully I will find the time to read it once it arrives.

Ozzy Osbourne wrote a book?????????????????????????

Guards! Guards! was pretty funny.  And yes, I even laughed out loud twice.   ;)

Now let's see how Men at Arms does. 

Guards! Guards! was probably my least favorite. Men at Arms is pretty good. Anything Vimes is pretty enjoyable. All of Pratchett's characters work together VERY well. I've put a hold on ready The Reality Dysfunction for a moment, to read Pratchett's newest, Unseen Academicals.

Ok, I know Well of Ascension and something Souls or something like that is next. Is it just a trilogy? Holy crap it was AWESOME! I couldn't put it down! Don't have a copy of Well of Ascension here is Russellville, so I'm starting The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. Supposed to be a good space-opera. We'll see...

Yes, it is a trilogy. After Mistborn is Well of Ascension then Hero of Ages. I loved it, though I'd have preferred a different ending.  :-\ 

It's been a while since I set foot in the Library, but I haven't stopped reading. :)

Aside from tGS, I've been reading some of the later Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher.  I love the various cases of Chicago's only practising wizard and police consultant on all of the city's possibly supernatural crimes.  I'm looking forward to Changes, the next book in the series, which is out in the Spring.

I've also discovered C.J. Sansom's Shardlake series (Dissolution, Dark Fire, Sovereign and Revelation) and I'm really enjoying it.  It's a murder mystery series set in Tudor England, featuring a lawyer who is often caught up in the intrigues in and around Henry VIII's court.  The historical detail is wonderful, and the characters are really vivid.  I'm currently close to the end of Sovereign, so I've only got one more book to go before I finish. :(  However, there's the possiblity of a new book being released in the Summer. :)

Started Elantris last night.  Only got a couple of pages in....but it's pretty good so far.  Men at Arms was funny to me for a whole different set of reasons than most probably get.  Working in law enforcement....there is a surprising reality to the political manipulations Pratchett referenced in the story.  :-\

That's why I loved Night Watch so much. It had more than even Men at Arms did...

Ok kids... for those of you eBook-ers...

Great friend of mine has released his eBook, and sadly, not paper yet, but we're working on that. He's a great writer, and a good DnD companion of mine. I feel weird plugging his book, but it's kinda cool knowing someone that has gotten this far. Read, and tell me what you think! Or don't, and... don't... :D

http://www.amazon.com/Children-of-Clay-ebook/dp/B0037Z6ZOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1266557700&sr=1-1

well, that's because I'm dumb :-\

the paper copy won't be released until feb 23rd. i didn't realize that. the ebook is out now, but you'll have to wait for the hard copy.

i'm chatting with him right now. he just pointed that out to me...

but, on the plus side, i'm running by his house tomorrow to try and weasel my way into getting one and getting it signed, pre-release... :D

did i mention he's my DM? I love my DM...

Well, I've finished reading the Shardlake series, and I don't know what to read next.  Right now, it's a toss-up between Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, starting the Riftwar saga (and beyond) by Raymond E Feist, which I've read before, but not properly, and Anne McCaffrey's Pern saga, which would be another reread (although it's been a year or two since the last one).  It's either that, or going back to the library for a completely new author.  What to do, what to do...?

I liked the earlier books, but getting towards the end of the series my interest waned a bit.  Magician was brilliant, as was Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon, but my favourite was The King's Buccanneer - largely for Nakor, but mostly because I liked the story.  Oddly enough, I couldn't really get into Talon of the Silver Hawk and the rest of that little trilogy, but my literary tastes have changed since the last time I read them.

I tried to read Rides a Dread Legion, but gave up on it - in spite of hearing of the demise of a couple of major characters.  Still, At the Gates of Darkness is out now, so I might give it another try.  At the end of my current readthrough, that is. :)

Edited to add:  in the end, I decided to read Naomi Novik's Temeraire - mostly because I didn't fancy reading a massive saga right now.  Perhaps I'll read the Riftwar when I finish these.

Ah-ha! Here is the hard copy link to TL Simpson's Children of Clay...

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Clay-T-L-Simpson/dp/1450557864/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266937272&sr=8-2

Came out today. I'm super excited for the man. Not every day you have a good friend get his book published. We actually have been talking about collaborating on a few, so we'll see how that goes, as well.

Well, I've finished reading the Shardlake series, and I don't know what to read next.  Right now, it's a toss-up between Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, starting the Riftwar saga (and beyond) by Raymond E Feist, which I've read before, but not properly, and Anne McCaffrey's Pern saga, which would be another reread (although it's been a year or two since the last one).  It's either that, or going back to the library for a completely new author.  What to do, what to do...?

Have you read any of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series?  I found it at the same time that I found Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. I love Darkover even more than I love Pern.  I have not read either of them in 20 years...  Hm!

Instead of dragonriders, the Darkover series has channelers, and they are all able to read each other's minds, which is how they form circles.  You can read these books in any order.  There are about 40 of them, but they are the shorter 300 page novels that were normal back in the 60s when they were written. My favorite, The Heritage of Hastur, is also the one MZB wrote first.

I haven't read them, but I think there's a couple of them in my local library so I might check them out.  Thanks for the tip! :)

Instead of dragonriders, the Darkover series has channelers, and they are all able to read each other's minds, which is how they form circles.  You can read these books in any order.  There are about 40 of them, but they are the shorter 300 page novels that were normal back in the 60s when they were written. My favorite, The Heritage of Hastur, is also the one MZB wrote first.

I suppose you could call them channelers, but they don't all read minds. They have different gifts that are magnified and controlled through their matrix stones. They only form circles to communicate and do large or difficult tasks, and then they have to synchronize their matrices, done through one person called a keeper. It isn't quite the same as the channelers in WoT, but it's close. Jordan 'borrowed' heavily from MZB, imo. It may not be the first one written or published, but Darkover Landfall tells the story of how the humans come to the planet Darkover. It's very short. I've read them all, and I think they are super. Her strength is characterization; she creates very memorable characters, Regis Hastur and his bredu, Danilo for example. Even now I can remember their names, and I read those books years and years ago.  :)

Holy crap.

Man, I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Got to admit, I was a bit skeptical, but this book has everything that I love about fantasy. It's an INCREDIBLE read, and I highly recommend it. The ONLY problem I've got with it, is I'm worried the author may be trying to play George R.R. Martin on us, and keep delaying the release of the sequel...

We'll see, but it's worth the read.

Another one to add to the list.  Well, technically, this one's been on my 'to read' list for a while, but I'm moving it up the list now...

I enjoyed The Name of the Wind too. Fantomboo recommended it I think. I'm also impatiently awaiting the sequel. *nods*