DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Great Library

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I have an idea.... yeah, I know scary right? Anyways, I want to do something that will make the Library a little more active. This is what I am thinking. I want to do something where each month one of us members recommends a book or short story to read, then as we read it and or at the end of the month we make a good discussion of the book and/or shot story. This should not have a cost to anyone who does not have or does not want to spend the money on the book. There is the public Libraries and used book stores. Also I have a ton of books in PDF and Word that I would be willing to lend out by e-mail, also there are a ton of free books out there to read and you can find a good bit of short stories on the internet as well. I like this idea because I feel that most people get stuck in reading one type of literature or one author. We all have favorites, but it is always a nice surprise to find another good author. I also know that most of us have this great big huge pile of books waiting to be read anyways so what better time to do that then now and you get to read it with other Ogier. That will either tell you how happy they were that you recommended the book or tell you how much of their life they just wasted. With that being said, I also think that there should be some limitations on the books. First maybe a page limit, so don't be breaking out you copy of war and peace; there are some that just do not have that kind of time to read a book that thick. Also for those of us that like to just purchase the books let have a price limit, I know that this might rule out a lot of new books but there is tons of literature out that that has been written. Anyhow what do you guys think I want to have all of your opinions on this and suggestion, but let’s come to a decision on what will work best for everyone.

I think this a great idea!! A month gives plenty of time to read any novel of decent length (within reason), and I always love friends recommending books. Then I'm not the only one talking about it if I like it :p Kinda of like the Jane Austen Book Club, but er the Ogier Book Club!

So, in conclusion...I'd be down for this! :D Also, in my area there are tons of used book stores, so that is always an option for those in bind!

Another option could be to read like 5 chapters a week and have a discussion.

Week 1 read 1-5

Week 2 discuss 1-5 read 6-10

Week 3 discuss 6-10 read 11-15

etc. 

Sam that is an awesome idea.. That way if it is a longer book and for those who do not have that much time to read can get a chance to participate. Yes I like this idea. Ok so I would like by the end of this week to have the boundries set in place and a book choosen by us to get started reading. How does that sound to everyone?

I am listing three books for us to choose from for the reading. I have made links to each book for the synopsis and reviews on them. Remember we will be taking Sam’s suggestion of reading 5 chapters a week, and at the end of each week talk about those 5 chapters. Anyways vote on the book you would want to read and whichever one has the most votes is the one we will read and discus. If none of these books are wanted for us to read then we will look at more if you have a better suggestion that gets the vote of the masses then we will do that one. However each time we finish a book I would like for someone else to suggest the next book. That way we all get to see what other genre others are into.

If this idea is not preferable let’s talk about it some more, however I would really like for us to have decided on a book by Friday or Saturday. That way folks will have the time to get a copy.

For the discussion of the books--- I will make a post in the forum for each week showing the book name and chapters and week that we are on. So do not go starting a post for the book. I will make a new weeks post each Sunday evening. This way if you fall behind in reading you do not get any spoilers and you can still participate in the discussion. I would really like for this to work out, I know at time you might not be reading a book that you would want to be. But for this to work we are going to have to go out on a limb and read the book that gets suggested by others and voted on.

Carey, Jacqueline - Kushiel 01 - Kushiel's Dart http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Kushiels-Dart/Jacqueline-Carey/e/9780765342980/?itm=1

Brooks, Terry - Landover 01 - Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold!http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Magic-Kingdom-for-Sale-Sold/Terry-Brooks/e/9780345317582/?itm=2

Jennifer Roberson - Cheysuli_01_-_Shape Changers Songhttp://search.barnesandnoble.com/Shapechangers-Song/Jennifer-Roberson/e/9780886779764/?itm=4

Well from others I have heard that Kushiel's Dart is a bit racy.  Our reviews and discussion could break the PG13 sign.  ;)

Shape Changers could be interesting....did I read right, is it two novels together?

Magic Kingdom did not favor well in that reviewer opinion.  And Brooks tends not to be well received in WoT settings. 

I would say Shapechangers, then Magic Kingdom, then Kushiel's Dart, in preferential order. 

Oh I was not wanting to read them all in any order.. Just throwing out some options there to choose one of the three to read then next time someone else can suggest a book.. so cast a vote for only one. Yes Sam it is two books, the first two in the series. However we do not have to read both books, we can just read the first one.

I read most of the Cheysuli books that were out in 1985...  LOL, but it was so long ago I don't remember much about them. I think Sam's reasoning is sound, and that the Cheysuli books would be well received here, from the little I do remember about them.

OMG... has everyone read the review for The Gathering Storm yet?!?!  Jason just got to read the book early and wrote about it in the News forum.  GO READ EVERYONE!!  I'm soooo dying to get this book now!  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.

I just finished reading the fourth novel in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, The Drums of Autumn.  Just, wow. 

If you love Highlanders, Celtic lore, or early American history, then these are the novels for you! I went out and bought it and the rest of them I didn't have, before I returned it to the library. There are six altogether. I wrote more on them toward the beginning of this library thread. A seventh novel is due out soon, too.

• 1 month later...

For those who've read the farsser trilogy by Robin Hobb there are about 6 other books that all relate back to this original series and all are absolutly excellent read. The good thing is they are all able to be read a s stand olone trilogies if you prefer