DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Fantomboo

The Great Library

Just finished Book 13 of the Dresden Files - a little sad that there are only 2 more left in the series (so far).

I highly recommend The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive)

The Stormlight Archive is an ongoing epic fantasy series written by Brandon Sanderson. The series is planned to be a ten book series, the first book is The Way of Kings. The release of the second book, Words of Radiance, was delayed because of his commitment to writing the final book of The Wheel of Time. If you have finished the WoT series then you already know of his writing skills, though the style may be different.

Summary:

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar's niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan's motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.

Strength before weakness.

Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again. 

Edited by al'Leif Dratoran

I'm trying to get through No Future by Paul Cornell ( a 7th Doctor story that has been easy to put down and forget about) I just started Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin since I've yet again put down No Future. I've never started a book that put me in a horse's perspective. I liked that.

This library is a splendid place indeed. A splenid building with an untold treasure of fine books.

<. The four corners starting with the South West are Ogier Histories, North West is Histories of the known world, North East is The world outside of Wheel of time, South East is the guest library area this is an area where our guest can see some of our Great Library, since the rest of the library is Ogier eyes only

Strange that most Ogier and guests alike have commented only on the fantasy collection.

There is one more great book which I woud like to gift to the library. Though Fantamboo, I fear you will have a hard decision whether to place it with the histories or in the guest library. That book is "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. Certianly, it takes the long view of world history which Ogier would appreciate. However, I think its greatest value will be to teach humans a lesson which most Ogier already know - the importane of nature (including trees) to the world and society. I have never come actross a book which better emphasises this lesson.

Happy reading to all!

I will most certainly give this one a look over!

I have not been reading a ton lately due to work and studying for the CPA exam, but I've been reading Tehanu by Ursula Le Guin, which is great like everything she's written. 

I've been mainly listening to audible these days. Been on a bit of a Terry Pratchett run recently (going postal right now, just finished moving pictures) as well as a relisten to WoT. Up to the dragon reborn there.

• Love Terry Pratchett!  Listening to Good Omens right now after watching the TV show. Not bad!  Think I'll drag our old Terry Pratchet thread over as well. ?

We have a terry pratchett thread ?. Squeeee! I also listened to Mort and wee free men, feet of clay, a hat full of sky and equal rites and a couple others this year. I may bankrupt myself on these but I can't stop.

i just listened to good omens too last month, after the show.  It's a great recording. The full cast one, very well done.

Mort is my favorite book by Terry Pratchet. 

I'm about to start The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson. I'm also reading WoT to my bf. We are reading CoT right now. 

What are you reading? I'm reading a book of historical fiction that takes place during the Spanish Flu and the end of WWI.

Been a while since I have walked in the library here (original poster of the library) How is everyone?

I am currently reading and should finish up today "Seventy eight degrees of Tarot" I plan to start up "The Luminous Dead" tonight. 

Sounds interesting.  I'm in the middle of the "Undying Mercenaries" series myself.   What is everyone else reading these days?

2Hi all.

I'mNot reading right now -too busy. But I read several interesting books over the December-January holidays:

The most recent book was "21 lessons for the 21st century" by Yuval Harari. It's not really lessons, but rather some interesting thoughts on what the rest of this century is likely to hold in store for society. Each chapter covers a specific issue or field. For example, the 1st 5 are headed Disillusionment, Work, Liberty, Equality and Community. Certainly an interesting view of the future, although some readers might be offended by his dismissive comments on religion.

Actually, my most recent reading was not a book at all, but the daily (almost) blog of the crew of one of the boats taking part in the  Cape to Rio yacht race. This gave a really good insight into what life is like on board a racing yacht, and has all the excitement of a thriller - you'll see why. https://www.jmbusha54sailing.com

I’ll check that out!

My next books are “Becoming” by Michelle Obama and “Born a Crime“ by Trevor Noah. I just finished “Angela’s Ashes” and “‘Tis” by Frank McCourt.

I just finished “I Love the Bones of You” by Christopher Eccleston.  I started “SteelHeart” by  Brandon Sanderson.