DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Fantomboo

The Great Library

If you are looking at how authors choose to structure their fictional societies, the Pern books of McCaffrey and the Darkover books of Bradley are interesting if somewhat simplistic. The former uses a kind of 'alpha male/alpha female' approach to the Dragonriders' wyer society. The Darkover books contain several different societies, depending on planet location. All of those should be available in any library. The first book of the In Her Name trilogy deals with an alien society structure and is quite good. Unfortunately, it kinda goes downhill from there. I found it at Kindle books for $.99. :smile:

Asimov wrote several books dealing with what a robot-dependent human society would be like. But then you probably knew about that.

He also wrote this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikebreaker_(short_story) - really good I thought.

"Ripping Caravella" was a very good SS in the New Authors anthology L.Ron Hubbard put out about 4-5 years ago. In that society, people could be stripped of their unique talents by rich people who envied them...

"Ripping Caravella" was a very good SS in the New Authors anthology L.Ron Hubbard put out about 4-5 years ago. In that society, people could be stripped of their unique talents by rich people who envied them...

Hubbard died in 1986, I doubt he would have been putting out anthologies 4-5 years ago.

This is the Writers of the Future anthology, an "L. Ron Hubbard presents" from Galaxy Press, vol 23 2007, containing the winners from the contest. Kim Zimring wrote the story.

I see... yet another case of an author continuing to have some sort of impact upon the publishing world long after their death. Some of these instances are more credible than others. I don't think I've ever checked out any of this series of anthologies, so I can't say how well the posthumous use of his name works.

I was never curious enough to find out. :smile: I just assumed that he was at some point affiliated with the contest by name or funding, and it just, as you say, continues. I have no doubt that it helps the marketing. His name is in type larger that the title's. I have always considered him something of an oddity, because of the scientology thing, and left to myself, I'd never have read it. But it was given to me, gratis, so I read it. I was impressed by this story.

Hello All!

I know I don't come around here nearly often enough to ask any favors, but... :)

I am now an editor of self-published eBooks. My client, Craig Halloran, only has one Amazon review on the first book in his fantasy series, "The Darkslayer." The Kindle version is free right now, so it won't cost you anything but time if you want to give it a whirl. You can download a free Kindle app for your PC, your phone, your iPad, or just about any other device with a screen.

Warning, though, this is a violent fantasy series. It is violent on a par with Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series, so if violence turns you off, you won't like this. It is a bunch of bar fighting and battle magic among orcs, humans, dwarfs, halflings and a new evil race called the Underlings.

The current edition of this book starts with a back story that you won't find interesting until you read the rest of the book, so if you do download it, please start reading at chapter 21 and only read the beginning if you are interested in Jarla the Brigand Queen and the origin of the Darkslayer.

Honest reviews at amazon.com are much appreciated!

I hope you like it, Fantomboo. My edited version should be up in a week or so, and will probably be a better read, even if I do say so, myself. :)

Hello, fellow booklovers!

This came up in conversation in the chat room the other day, and I wanted to share it with you.

The Callahan series of books by Spider Robinson.

These are a wonderful sci-fi series, set in a lovely bar known as Callahan's. Where everyone is welcome, and you might find yourself in a drinking contest, a pun-off, or sharing a table with an alien, depending on the night. They're a great series, and I highly recommend them to everyone!

Claire

*Comes in with an armload of books, looks around with approval and find a comfy corner*

I'm reading five books at the moment(yes I know I'm a smartypants fast reader). nearly finish Catherine Asaro's Spherical Harmonic a series in the Skolian saga. I think she is one of the finest writer of sf around. Her bio is immensely impressive :Phd in physic, BA in chemistry and former professional ballet dancer. She is more than qualified,nay overqualified to write science fiction and her story interweave her many and varied interests. And did I mention she also advises government on national security?

Her book merged elements of hard science, mathematics, chemistry and the Arts. If you want to find out about wormholes,string theory and robotics then here is a more approachable books than dry academic papers. The books are incredible in my opinion and I'm always hungry to know what the characters are up to.

Finnish the second book of Kingkiller chronicle last night. Wow can't wait for more which should come out some time next year.

In the middle of reading A.C. Grayling the Meaning of Things.

And that's enough about me and my reading habits for the moment.

*pours a cup of coffee 'coffee best thing since sliced bread' and sigh with satisfaction.*

I'm reading Søren Kierkegaard's "Purity of Heart Is to Will One Thing" translated by Douglas Steere.

The translator recommended I start at Chapter 12, proceed to the end and then start at Chapter One. So I am doing just that.

OMG! I just finished the second book in Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles The Wise Man's Fearand it is without doubt the best thing I have read since LotR and WoT! The first book, The Name of the WInd was very good, but this one is even better!

Rothfuss is amazing.  His characters are fascinating and his prose is elegant.

I see... yet another case of an author continuing to have some sort of impact upon the publishing world long after their death. Some of these instances are more credible than others. I don't think I've ever checked out any of this series of anthologies, so I can't say how well the posthumous use of his name works.

VC Andrews makes me sad.

I don't know that I could get past Hubbard's personality and agendas to read anything with his name on it but that's not really a good basis for judging art... still, he'd be really difficult for me to deal with.

I'm a bit mind-blown by a book I just read recently and will donate to the Great Library ;)

Rebellion by Robyn Young was amazing. I loved it. I do not think i have seen better written battle scenes in my long (well to me it seems long, but now that I think about it there's probably people with a lot more experience, I'm just 16) book-reading career. There was not one moment that I was bored in the book. In moments I forgot about the world around me (it's a weekend, thankfully) and just focused completely on the pages. The whole plot line was extremely interesting, and I never felt as if something was missing. 

Book 2 of a trilogy (haven't read the first book). A historical fiction novel about the rebellion of Robert the Bruce. Don't back down and be like: historical fiction = history = boring. This rivals and beats many fantasy novels especially because it is all so real, it actually happened. Sincerely recommend this.

UK: published as Renegade

Canada: as Rebellion

'Murrica  :wink: : not sure if published there, but you guys can try.

Edited by Cheetaiean

Hello dear Ogier friends. I just popped in to ask if anyone has read Malazan book of the fallen by Steven Erikson? Is it as good as they say or isn't it? Maybe could be a good companion on one of my trips away from the stedding.

*Looks around, sinks head* This place is a mess.... Well time to tidy up a bit. *begins to brush the dush off the shelves*

So, what is everyone reading these day?

I am currently reading "The Twelve" it is part 2 of "The Passage" by Jusitn Cronin. This first book was much better, read it if you haven't yet. But the second book so far is nothing more than a lot of backstory, not really progressing the story line much.

I'm going through the Dresden files and I think about done with a Gregory maguire listen through in the car. I need to pick another audiobook soon. the music is making me edgy.

I hear ya, I am listening to The Twelve right now. I have a hour drive into work every day so plenty of time to listen. I just started reading " The Tree Body Problem" only about 100 pages in but good so far.

Both of you two (Mrs Cindy Gill and Fantomboo) are listening to audio books while driving. Maybe something I should try when doing a long trip alone. Doesn't it distract you from the driving?

I have not head of either the Passage or the Dresden files. What kind of book are they?

This library is a splendid place indeed. A splenid building with an untold treasure of fine books.

<. The four corners starting with the South West are Ogier Histories, North West is Histories of the known world, North East is The world outside of Wheel of time, South East is the guest library area this is an area where our guest can see some of our Great Library, since the rest of the library is Ogier eyes only

Strange that most Ogier and guests alike have commented only on the fantasy collection.

There is one more great book which I woud like to gift to the library. Though Fantamboo, I fear you will have a hard decision whether to place it with the histories or in the guest library. That book is "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. Certianly, it takes the long view of world history which Ogier would appreciate. However, I think its greatest value will be to teach humans a lesson which most Ogier already know - the importane of nature (including trees) to the world and society. I have never come actross a book which better emphasises this lesson.

Happy reading to all!

it distracts me from driving less than music, or than a passenger in the car, especially if it's a book ive already read. I listen mostly on familiar routes or long stretches of highway. if I get to a place where I need more attention, like trying to find something, I'll stop the nook or music.

Dresden files are about a wizard who solves supernatural crimes. they're funny and a bit like sam spade.