DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Fantomboo

The Great Library

<Fantomboo walks a steady pace in the woods, towards the sound of the waterfall and the stone cliff which holds the Great Library. There is work to be done.>

The first site an Ogier sees on the way to the Library is the smooth marble of the cliff, and the waterfall that flows down the middle of the cliff. An Ogier can instantly see that behind the rainbow spectrum the waterfall throws off, that there is a doorway leading to the entry hall of the Library. There is no ceiling here, and it brings in the gentle breeze of the steading, along with day's light and the night's heavenly bodies. Always allowing for the perfect reading light around the polished stone fountain, this sits in the middle of the entry hall. The fountain's waters break off in the fours direction of the library. Each of these polished stone trenches lead to a pool of water in one of the four corners of the library. The four corners starting with the South West are Ogier Histories, North West is Histories of the known world, North East is The world outside of Wheel of time, South East is the guest library area this is an area where our guest can see some of our Great Library, since the rest of the library is Ogier eyes only as to say. As you walk around the library you will notice the wooden bridges passing over each trench and detailed carvings on the walls. You will also notice as you walk around that you are only on the first of four floors of the library, and the intricate sprial staircases that bound upward to each level, with sitting areas in the middle of each area to sit, read or talk in the open atmosphere. Each level still abides by the subject of each corner, the only difference is that the knowledge and age of the books get older as you spiral upwards, until you get to the top and notice that there is no light where the books are kept behind wooden doors. The forth level is where you will find the oldest books some dating back before this age. It is dark and little air here for the books protection; an Ogier will need permission and the help of the librarian or an assistant in this area. The most noticeable thing about the Great Library is the amount of books that are stored here on the shelves they seem to go on forever. One could spend their life reading and never scratch the surface.

I invite everyone to come and visit the library, come and enjoy the all the greatness it has to offer. I will be here daily among the books.

<Fantomboo begins his work dusting shelves and cataloging books. Thinking to himself he will need help with some of the repairs to the shelves and stairs.>

I am greatly honored to be the librarian of this great Org. I will be posting some of my ideas later. However if you have something you would like to see the Library do, feel free to post your suggestion.  ;D

*gazes in awe at the Library*

It's so beautiful! *sits down to read*

Ooooo very nice Fantom, I'm loving it here!!! :)  *sits down in a nice comfy chair with a view of the waterfall and grabs a book, lights her pipe and leans back to relax and enjoy the view*

Very very nice indeed.  ;)  I may have to venture down into the fourth floor later and see what secret books you have hiding down there.  ;D

*walks in and looks around, impressed, gazing up at the rows of books*

What a beautiful library - with all of these books, I think I'll be spending a lot of time in here! :)

*joins her fellow Ogier and sits down to read contentedly*

As I said a few days ago in another post, I am going to post a little bit about a book I just read.

The book is Tarnsman of Gor

For those of you who do not know it is part of a 28 book series by John Norman. The main character of the book is Tarl Cabot. He is taken off of Earth to a Counter-Earth by the name of Gor. In a way the planet is kind of barbaric. This is not a book for everyone. The big kicker here for most is that women are dominated by men, when I say dominated I do mean in every way. If you can't look past this then it is probably not a series for you to read. However if you can you will enjoy a good easy read with an easy plot to follow, lots of action where the good guy usually wins. The world is full of interesting philosophy and ideas. In this book the first in the series, Tarl is trained as a Gorean warrior sent out to cause trouble for a rival city. Here he finds a women and struggles with the way he should treat her, along with a few mishaps along the way. In the end he..... Well if you want to know you just going to have to read it  ;D.

On a note about the series, I have not read all the books I am just starting the second book. I do know in this first book you only get the general idea about the slavery and how the world works. The sex in it is off screen and I hear it is pretty much like that throughout the series for the most part. I do however also hear that it gets pretty explicit in the later books. I have heard the first 3 or 4 books referred to as sort of space opera, but I did not see any of that yet. All in all I enjoyed the read and it held my attention the whole book. I look forward to the rest of Tarl's adventures on Gor.

The books are not to hard to find but they can get expensive. I collect the older ones so I pay a price for them. However you can get them all through e-reads new both in paperback and e-book.

I recommend:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440212561?ie=UTF8&tag=chesdelfav-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0440212561">Outlander</a> by Diana Gabaldon

A WWII nurse stumbles back in time to 18th Century Scotland, where she discovers the shocking secrets of her modern-day husband's family.  It's fun because she keeps all her modern-day knowledge.  It's scary because she doesn't know how to replicate modern medical technologies.  It's really really good, and that is all I want to say because I don't want to give away the plot! 

The first sequel is OK.  The second sequel is very disappointing. 

Edited to add:  Upon reading the reviews at Amazon, I see that this series is now finished at 6 800-page books.  I might go ahead and get the forth one and see if the third is just an anomally of badness in the middle of a good series.  It happens.

<Walks in sits down at the wooden desk in the center of the first floor, pours some coffee. Waits for others to come in and ejoy the library.>

I hope everyone has a great day and I am here for any Library needs. I will be making a post alter about some ideas I am tossing around. Would still like to hear any ideas you guys may have.

I'm currently reading Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, and I'll try and write up a review when I've finished.  I've read it before, but it's good to refresh my mind on some of the details.  It's one of my favourites, too.

It's odd, but before I read the Farseer Trilogy, I found it rather difficult to read books written in the 1st person.  In this case, though, I found it rather endearing, and it was easy to get inside the protagonist's head (although that was somewhat painful, at times - he goes through a lot).  So far, though, it's been difficult to put it down. *Thea yawns from another late night, reading* :)

I think the cover art on these books (indeed, on all of Robin Hobb's works) is brilliant; possibly my favourite art for fantasy novels. :)

I just finished Outlaw of Gor\

This is the second book in the Gor series. It was good and enjoyable to read. There is a lot of action. Tarl gets to return to Gor after being gone for 7 years. He finds out that all he knew is gone or destroyed, and he becomes angry with the Priest-Kings. He soon finds out that he has been named an outlaw in Gor and the very mention of his name can invoke others to kill him. For the most part this is a background book for the 3rd book. It is more of a setting up of what is to come. Not a lot happened in this book other than the important information that I feel you are going to need to know for book 3. However you can tell in this book that John Norman had a strong opinion about the women’s lib group at the time, and felt that it would only lead to destruction and revolution. I am still very pleased with the series so far.

I will not be reading the 3rd book Priest-Kings yet. That will be a weekend read I think. Right now for the remainder of the week I am going to read a book by Ben Orkow "When Time Stood Still" I actually have the 1st edition that I picked up at a used book store. It is about a man and his wife in 1962 that freeze themselves and are awaken in 2007. I think it will be interesting to see what they thought 2007 would like in 1062. I think that they would be greatly disappointed lol. Has anyone read this book before?

I haven't read this, although it sounds very interesting.  It always makes me smile when I watch an older sci-fi film or series and see how they thought the future would turn out, so it makes me wonder how a book would deal with this. :)

I've moved on to the next trilogy by Robin Hobb - the Liveship Traders trilogy.  This will be the first time I've read them in the order that they were intended - Farseer trilogy, Liveship Traders, and the Tawny Man trilogy - and I'm already discovering bits and pieces I'd missed before, or that didn't occur to me earlier.  I'd previously only read Liveship Traders separately.

I did not know they had to be read in a certain order. I have the tawny man trilogy have not read it yet. I guess I should pick the others up first to read ?

Well, the Tawny Man trilogy follows on directly from the Farseer trilogy, about 10 or 15 years later (I need to refresh my memory on that), with the same characters and storylines.  The Liveship Traders is set in the time between those 2 trilogies, but it focuses on a different part of the same world, and with different characters (save for one or two).  It also explains a bit about one of the dragons that appears in the Tawny Man trilogy. 

In short, you don't really need to read Liveships, but you get the best effect from reading the others in order.  The Tawny Man trilogy is still good on it's own, though. :)

I just finished re-reading Outlander.  I still intend to read the rest of that series.  Meanwhile, I was hijacked!  At church the other day someone handed us <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159415127X?ie=UTF8&tag=chesdelfav-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=159415127X">Last Light</a>, by Terri Blackstock.  OMG, it is SO good!  A dad and his 22 year old daughter just flew home.  Seconds after they land, all the power goes out - including in all the incoming flights, which crash.  Car ignitions won't work.  Cell phones are dead.  They go to Walmart and fight their way through the crowds.  They get the last bicycle.  Ten miles into their 16 mile ride home, someone pushes them over and steals their bicycle.  They make it home, but no power is on there, either.  The water barely trickles out of their pipes.  The generator won't start.  Where I am now, they are cleaning their guns!

I just finished reading When Time Stood Still by: Ben Orkow

I have to say that it was an interesting read. The overall story was good. There were some parts that I felt like where just writing to take up space.

The story itself was about a famous couple and their love for one another. The wife became sick with leukemia in 1962 and they found a Doctor who was willing to experiment on them by putting them both into a stasis. Long story short something happens to the doctor and they are left in stasis for nearly 50 years waking up in 2007. It is interesting to see what the author thought 2007 would like. Anyways, this is where all the trouble begins for the couple. Their daughter is now 51 she was 3 when they went into stasis and their son is dead and they have grandchildren that are about the same age as them, the couple's ages are 29 and 30. The world in 2007 becomes too much for them and they end up retreating into seclusion.

Not the best story I ever read but worth the time I put into it.

Not sure what I am going to read next yet, it will more than likely be a bit more of Gor series. However, on June 9th Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson is coming out and I have my signed copy coming to me so I will be quickly moving to that to read as soon as it gets here. If none of you have read any of Brandon’s work, you need not wait any longer go out and gets this new book.

Yes, when the couple was put into stasis they had to fake their own deaths so their children would inherit their millions. They also made sure that the woman’s sister and husband had custody of their children. Since they could not have any of their own the woman thought she was doing them a great favor. Not even the woman’s sister knew what they had planned. It was very hard for them both to make the decision. They thought that they were only going to be frozen for a few years. But, when the doctor was killed there was no one to wake them up; so they slept for 47 years. It was a good story, you can probably pick up the book at a rare book store, and I know you can find it on e-bay.

After I got to thinking about the time I have left before TGS comes out I need to complete my reread of the books I am on Path of Daggers so not much more to go but I have other things I want to read between this time. So I am reading Path of Daggers untill Tuesdays atleast should be enough time to finish it up got a little over 100 pages done of it so far today.

Yeah I have been slowed since the birth of the baby, I am almost finished with Fires of Heaven.  I probably won't read much of anything else besides WoT until AMoL comes out. 

I must say, I'm looking forward to the release of tGS now.  I was a bit irritated by the decision to split it, but I think I'm over that.  It just means more to read! :)

I had a nice surprise yesterday - I rediscovered my copy of Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea Quartet on my bookshelf, so I'll be reading that when I've finished Robin Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy.

Earthsea what a great set of books. I love the old fantasy and sci/fi.

I must say, I'm looking forward to the release of tGS now.  I was a bit irritated by the decision to split it, but I think I'm over that.  It just means more to read! :)

I too am looking forward to this also. I am in a way glad that the series is being made a little longer. I am ready to know how it all ends though, so I can go back and reread it looking for all the hidden details.

Yep, I remember hearing news about new books and RJ thinking it might take as many as 15 books.  Just another of the reasons I panicked when I read about his passing.  :-X

I agree - I was worried, too.  I haven't read any of Brandon Sanderson's books yet (something I hope to rectify soon), but I've heard only good things.  However many books there are, I'm looking forward to seeing how the story finishes. :)

In the meantime, I'm setting aside my Earthsea reread as I've just been able to get a copy of Naomi Novik's Victory of Eagles, the fifth book in her Temeraire series. I've been a big fan of Temeraire and Captain Laurence, and their struggles against Napoleon's invading army, ever since I read the first book last year.

I'm really looking forward to this. :)