DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football World Cup 2006

Majsju

Guest Majsju

With the squads now official, and the tournament just around the corner, I declare the old thread...old.

9 June, 18.00 CET, the first game Germany vs Costa Rica starts, then it's a long fiesta until the final whistle blows 9 July sometime around 22.00 CET.

I still keep Brazil as favourites, the attacking formation is out of this world.

Biggest threat is Italy, Lippi seems to have succeeded in building a team without weaknesess, but with some exceptional qualities.

Dark horses:

Argentina, also a very strong team, but not quite up to Italy.

Germany, despite fielding the possibly worst German team in WC history, they have a tendency of rising to the challenge, and being the host is always a bonus.

England, everything depends on a tiny tiny bone in Rooney's right foot. With him, the only limit is the sky. Without him, even reaching the quarter finals is an achievement.

Oh, and the Golden Boot goes to Adriano, with 6 goals.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

¿What did you think of Gerrad on the offensive against Hungary? seems to me like a good replacement for Rooney, and he won´t be missed that much on the midfield thanks to Lampard and Cole.

Brazil has an amazing attack, but his defense is one open highway for enemy forwards.

Italy is my prediction to win, and now that Totti is up and running, there´s nothing anyone can do to stop them.

¿Did anyone watch Japan dancing through the Germany defense?, and that´s supposed to be their strongest feature, and don´t even get me started on their coach.

I´ll bet Adriano won´t be the top scorer in Brazil, it will be Kaka. As for the golden boot.......Hernan Crespo.

The biggest failure: Mexico and Spain

The big surprise: Sweden and Australia

Guest Majsju

I only saw highlights of England - Hungary, but from what I saw, Gerrard is not a good replacement for Rooney. Of course, Rooney can't be replaced, that'd be like Brazil trying to replace Ronaldhino. From what I saw, it seemed that Gerrard wasn't quite sure what to do, he seemed to want to drift back down on the midfield, and when he went for the attack, it was obvious he is not comfortable that high on the pitch, he seemed to be a tad insecure about his positioning.

Brazil's defense is actually one of the best they've ever had. They even have a keeper now, which might be the first time ever. But then, who needs a defense if you can score three for every one you concede?

As for Italy and Totti, I'm not too sure about him. He is not the most stabile players out there, and if he has a bad day he can be more of a liability than an asset. remember Italy - Denmark in Euro2004.

I think that it's far more important for Italy that Del Piero has found his form again.

I saw highlights from Germany - Japan as well, and it could just has well have been 4-0 instead of 2-0 when Japan stopped playing.

Spain can't be a failure, they are unable to perform in the big tournaments, and you can't fall when you're on the bottom :wink:

And funny you should mention Australia as a surprise, now that you've seen what Japan can do.

Sweden? Only if we get a rightback from somewhere. Maybe if we kidnap Gary Neville, and put a blond wig on him... :lol:

Okay, so I readily admit to being the prototypical "Ignorant" American when it comes to soccer (see, I didn't even call it the right thing!). I just don't watch enough to know the difference between merely good and phenominally super and terrific

I have, however, been watching the last few "Friendlys" that the US has played in preperation for Germany. Two good games against Latvia and Venezuela and a really cr*ppy loss to Morocco. I also saw on ESPN that they are currently #5 in the FIFA rankings. Though I read in the same article that these rankings are complete BS and mean next to nothing.

My question to the football experts on the board is two-fold:

1) How good is the US relative to the top teams in field of 32?

2) In your considered opinions, do they have any chance of getting out of the first round?

Guest Majsju

The US is a decent team, but definitly not good enough to be ranked as #5. I probably wouldn't put them among the #10.

But they will improve, as more and more players get over to Europe, and play in the big leagues here. And when they can get a better coach, Arena does not really impress me.

As for the US chances of surviving the group stage...I'd say minimal. Being in the same group as Italy and Czech Republic makes advancement very hard, to say the least. And Ghana might prove a tough opponent as well, African teams can be difficult to play against.

any of you guys knows how to find a pub in London where I don't get killed if I cheer for Germany?

I would love to watch the world cup with other people - but I will not deny my country at the only time Germans are allowed to be Germans, with out feeling teh national conscious :-) - you know the history and all :-)

Guest Majsju

They're learning to swim :lol:

Which player do you think will get his breakthrough during the World Cup?

I'm leaning more and more towards Franck Ribery from France. Since he's been linked with United, I checked some clips with him, and Oy! That kid definitly has some major talent.

And there's of course Messi, but I think he might have lost some of the pace from being out for about three months, and not getting any competative games before the tournament starts.

The US team has indeed become an above average team, one that will likely pass the group stage in almost any other group, except the one he get and the Holland/Argentina. The problem with those FIFA rankings is that they don´t measure against who they play, and the real opposition on the Concacaf is Mexico.BTW, i think the US is a lot better than Mexico in the national team, but you really have to make the MLS something competitive and not just a graveyard for all stars if you want to become one of the great teams.

As for the player who will get his breakthrough........i´ll go with Peter Crouch if he is to play from the get go, and if not, then i think Tevez will shine as he did in Boca.

Just a few random thoughts about the Cup!

Blood and bloody ashes! What kind of conspiracy landed the U.S. in that harsh group??? Miracles have happened though...

Maj...no hope for your local kids? I am sure they will make it out of the first round!

I don't think there is any stopping Braaaziiiillll. They will tick the Euro's off again!

Am I crazy to think the CRepub is going to make a splash?

And whats up with the Budweiser sponsorship? An American beer company sponsoring the World Cup in Germany of all places???? Does that strike anyone else as ironic?

Guest Majsju

<Blood and bloody ashes! What kind of conspiracy landed the U.S. in that harsh group??? Miracles have happened though...>

It's no worse than the group Sweden got in last WC, Aegentina, England, Nigeria and Sweden. And look what happened, Sweden won the group, Argentina got knocked out. But then, Sweden is a better team than the US.

<Maj...no hope for your local kids? I am sure they will make it out of the first round!>

They should, but the lack of a rightback worries me.

<Am I crazy to think the CRepub is going to make a splash?>

I've met very few people who think they'll make it further than quarterfinals. They are not the team they used to be, even with Nedved back.

<And whats up with the Budweiser sponsorship? An American beer company sponsoring the World Cup in Germany of all places???? Does that strike anyone else as ironic?>

Even more annoying is that it's the american company who stole the brand name from a European brand. Budweiser is a beer from Czech Rep.

And Santa, Crouch? :lol:

Guest TigerToe

Article #27 subheading b of Team USAs charter:If the US team ever wins and as long as they reign the sport will be officially refered to as "soccer"

the FISA World CUP: Federation Internationale de Soccer Association...has a sweet ring to it. :P :lol: :twisted:

errr okay, so what about that young US leaguer kid, like 15 years old the "phenom" is he playing for the footyball cup or not? freddy Mandu or something like that.

all our mutant atheletes play NFL Football and basketball....i dont think the US will ever win a soccer cup for that reason.

About Australia potentially being a darkhorse... i would like it if that were the case, and i must admit after seeing the friendly's against Greece and the Netherlands i'm not going to exclude it entirely; but i just think we lack the nessasary cohesion as a team to pull it off. We have some good players--Bresciano and the like--but i don't think they've had the time or the experience to gel properly. Still, i look forward to the 12th... Japan will be a worthy advesary.

Guest Majsju

<errr okay, so what about that young US leaguer kid, like 15 years old the "phenom" is he playing for the footyball cup or not? freddy Mandu or something like that.>

Freddy Adu. Should be about to turn 17 now. I think he got picked for the squad, but I doubt he'll get to play. I've seen some clips of him, and I'm not too impressed, he does have some tricks, but it takes more than showboating to have an impact on the pitch. He'll need to play in Europe for a couple of years first, to learn the rest of the game as well.

<Still, i look forward to the 12th... Japan will be a worthy advesary.>

After having seen Japan's first 45 against Germany, I'd say more than worthy. They have a very skilled team, quite speedy and a lovely one-touch football.

Guest Majsju

The main thing against Australi is not so much being a less skilled team than most others. That can be compensated with attitude, smart tactics etc. But Australia lacks the experience of playing the WC, and that's a big problem for them. The WC is very different to other campaigns in football, it can almost be compared to a military campaign when it comes to planning. And even though Hiddink is one of the best coaches in the world, with some huge experience, the rest of the staff does not have that. The players don't have it either, and they also lack experience from the big games.

I don't agree Maj. What Australia lacks is experience playing as a team--which may be what you mean by lacking experience in the world cup. In either case i think that this world cup, at least, that has been addressed in their coaching. You can see it in the way they play that they are striving to fit together... they don't nessasarily have it yet--but then on the other hand they may, we've only seen them in Friendly games and that means jack.

But in experience in the big games... the players arn't novices. Soccers been in the blood of Australia for decades. Indeed i would say that in some cases they have too much experience... Viduka's a great captain and all that, but he is getting on for a soccer player.

Guest Majsju

Luckers, I think you missed what I meant with experience. It's not experience from playing a lot of games, almost all players going to the WC have that, except England's Theo Walcott...

But the WC in itself is so different from playing league games. The results speak for themselves, teams lacking WC-experience never perform well, with the exception of the hosting nation, who always perform well.

<Thats ok, what we lack in skill, we will make up for in physicality, and belt the wimpy euros and sambas!>

Good thing this wimpy European ain't going to the WC then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSqbJsb2spg&search=roy%20keane :lol:

Archived