DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will the lands beyond the Aiel Waste play a roll in the last battle?

Drizzt

I always wondered, since these lands were first mentioned, and how they have an excessive amount of women who can channel and monsters, giants, etc...if Rand will in any way be able to recruit them to his side, as he will ultimately have done with the Seanchan--thanks to Mat and his new connections. or, possibly, might they be recruited by the DO himself and be an enemy that Rand will have to face. Overall, I do not think we can rule them out, especially after that old man in Ebou-Dar (I think it was) said that he had been there and brought tell of those lands back into our memories. Either way, they seem an extremely powerful loose cannon.

Well, we saw a cameo by a Sharan in KOD, which might have opened for some action. Not much though, as pulling out an army for the last battle would require quite a bit of foreshadowing.

I thought that was to show how unsettled the order of Shara was.

Graendal kidnapped its two rulers.

I'm pretty sure RJ said we would not see anything from Shara.  Although, the way it was stated could be a bit misleading IIRC...

He said that he had no plans to send Rand to Shara.  That does not mean that there would not be any action from Shara.

From wotmania::

I have no plans to send Rand to Shara at present.

http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=150

The actual blog post::

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=27

We won't see Shara as a nation--it would take too much background--the Aiel Instant Army was hard to swallow and he spent two whole books building on that.

That being said we might see individual Sharans playing a part, or maybe even representatives of the Ayyad. But it will be limited in scope.

Very limited indeed. When I first saw the series, I was going oh man Rand is totally going to pwn everyone with his massive armies. After actually reading the series, I found out that wasn't the case. The Shadow isn't stupid, and Rand is still struggling to unite all the countries behind him, and he haven't even spoken to the Sharans, so no, I don't think Shara will play a big role in TG.

Maybe it will play a bigger role after TG than it does now. That's a big maybe though.

The post before me is right. Unifying nations is never easy. Nor is conquering them, as Rand learned early on.

Robert Jordan did say that no scenes would be placed in Shara and Seanchan. That's understandable because there's massive unrest in both of them.

However, it would be cool if at a major battle, the Light is losing then all of a sudden the Sharans attack the Shadow from behind. Hey, Jordan did say that no scenes would be set in Shara but he never said they wouldn't come to Randland.

I highly doubt we'll see anything substantive happen that's related to Shara or Seanchan.

• 2 weeks later...
Robert Jordan did say that no scenes would be placed in Shara and Seanchan.

From searching the pages of Robert Jordan's blogs on the wotmania site, he had not say that.

The most he said was that he did not plan to send Rand to Shara; which is not the same as that there would be no scenes in that country.

There was a scene in Seanchan when Rand and Avhienda went there in the Fires of Heaven. The likelyhood of there being another in Seanchan or any scene in Shara (prologue and Epilogue aside) is slim to nil.

There was a scene in Seanchan when Rand and Avhienda went there in the Fires of Heaven. The likelyhood of there being another in Seanchan or any scene in Shara (prologue and Epilogue aside) is slim to nil.

Definately nil--RJ said there would be no further scenes in Seanchan, or any in Shara--which I'm assuming is what mb meant to say.

Definately nil--RJ said there would be no further scenes in Seanchan, or any in Shara--which I'm assuming is what mb meant to say.
I'm assuming mb meant to say exactly what he said - that he could find RJ saying that he wouldn't send Rand to Shara, but this is not the same as there being no scenes there. I think you could convince him otherwise with a quote.

Archived