DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why Moraine is the best character ever!

Drizzt

Moraine has to be pretty much the best, most courageous person of the entire story. She always kept her head in every situation, devoted her entire life to train and "raise" and protect the savior of that age, "almost:)" gave her life to protect those she cared for and defeat Lanfear. She is strait up awesome, She even humbles herself to satisfy the whims of the Dragon and appease him, even though she is almost old enough to be his mother and is arguably one of the smartest poeple since before the age of legends.

For me my oppinion changed completely after she started obeying Rand. She is by far my favorite female character, and Wheel of Time has several that I like a lot. Nynaeve, Cadsuane, Verin, Aviendha, all all brilliant in my oppinion, but none come close to Moiraine. Not even close

She always kept her head in every situation, devoted her entire life to train and "raise" and protect the savior of that age, "almost:)" gave her life to protect those she cared for and defeat Lanfear.

Don't get me wrong, Moiraine is one of my favorite characters, but I can’t say that she ‘cares’ about any of the Emmonds Fielders. The stonehearted Lan eventually developed real loyalty to the boys and even Egwene because of Nynaeve’s influence, but emotional attachments were never what drove Moiraine.  Friendship, affection, family, even her dedication to the White Tower all took a back seat to her life-long purpose of getting the Dragon Reborn ready for the Last Battle. She would not hesitate a moment to destroy anyone, including herself, if she knew that it would further her goal. That’s what makes her such a complex and fascinating character – she chose to sacrifice herself to fight Lanfear not out of loyalty and love but based on coldly calculated facts.

She is strait up awesome, She even humbles herself to satisfy the whims of the Dragon and appease him, even though she is almost old enough to be his mother and is arguably one of the smartest people since before the age of legends.

After I read that I couldn't stop myself from wondering how different things could have been if that really happened. I often amuse myself with such scenarios.

And of course, I too love that woman. I could easily say that she's my absolute favorite character, I dare to say she's even above Mat. ;)

Don't forget to mention that she was H-O-T HOT, thank god for the scene of American Pie with John Cho and the terminolgy it introduced to the world.

Better than Mat?  I wasn't aware that that was possible, Earth's sun will Supernova before they can get halfway to figuring out how to write a character better than Mat's.  No offense against Moiraine, but thats just the way things work in the world.

This particularly pertains to what AmbeRebmA said about Moiraine not caring for the Edmond's Fielders, but only for her quest for the Dragon. I must concede that this is, in essence, true. However, i do not believe that she did not care about them to some degree. Remember, there were times when she pitied Rand for what he had to endure and tried to keep him humanized as much as possible. If it wasn't for her, rand would have been a complete Dragon-Bot that cared for no one. Out of mercy, I believe, she let Rand hold onto his only weakness. However, it is true that she cared mostly for "the cause," and her devotion to something that would ultimately destroy her, could not possibly come from anything else than simply the desire to ensure humanity's survival and continue to usher forth a new age for her world. that is admirable, to say the very least.

I agree Drizzt, the core of her is very human (that especially shows in what she did for Lan). But at the end of the day, the cause will always win over feelings of sentimentality and affection. RJ did a fantastic job developing her character.

Moiraine is pretty cool I actually name characters after her in rpgs and the such.  I think, despite her cool detachment to everything and her devotion to her cause - she actually came to like some of the Emonds Field folk.  Except maybe Rand, for some reason I got the idea she just didn't like him.  Not because of any world shattering thing, just as a person.  Actually it's an even tie between her and Verin nowadays.  Verin is the shnizzle.  Oh and Bela  :D

Archived