DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Multi Question

Kalthandrix

I have been going through the books and have a few questions that I cannot seem to find details on, though I admit that I have not made it though the final couple of books yet, but I do not believe that those questions are covered these.

So here we go -

1. I have always wondered what the three questions were that Rand asked when he stepped though the twisted door frame in The Shadow Rising. Has there been anything that told of of those?

2. There was some discussion of something like 9 imppossible tasks that Rand would accomplish. Can someone point me to what book this is referenced in and could anyone state which of these tasks he might have already completed?

Since you haven't gotten through the last couple of books, the answers to those questions might be spoilers, so think before you read.

We only have information on two answers that Aelfinn gave Rand:

1. Rand asked how to cleanse Saidin and the answer was never explicitly mentioned other than in conversations with Herid Fel.

2. Rand probably asked how to win the last battle and survive, and the answer was: "The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die."

Nine impossible things refer to a flurry of fortellings that Nicola Treehill started giving out about Rand and other things after she realized that she probably had the gift. I don't think it can be strictly classified as a fortelling, just Nicola's way of getting more attention.

Oh - it is not that I have not read all the books, because I have. I have been re-re-reading them and making notes as to some of the items I noticed in them and looking to see if the items have been resolved/answered to date or not.

Thanks though and I appreciate the help!

Nine impossible things refer to a flurry of fortellings that Nicola Treehill started giving out about Rand and other things after she realized that she probably had the gift. I don't think it can be strictly classified as a fortelling, just Nicola's way of getting more attention.

Nicola doesn't speaking of nine things the Dragon does--she literally states that the Dragon will do nine impossible things. As for why this might be true, in the same list its said Niccola speaks of an Amyrlin being captured--which happened to Egwene--and battles with the Seanchan--which is coming.

As for what these nine things are, there is another thread on that. Use the search function.

maybe he asked how the light can win the last battle, creating the Asha'Man?

Maybe he asked where he should go that noone qould expect? Rhuidian? makes the most sense to me, that that would be the cases since he didnt know what to do up until that point, then all of a sudden he had a plan to go and hang out in the Waste to get some cool tats

Maybe he asked where he should go that noone qould expect? Rhuidian? makes the most sense to me, that that would be the cases since he didnt know what to do up until that point, then all of a sudden he had a plan to go and hang out in the Waste to get some cool tats

Rand says just before going to Rhuidean that they never mentioned going to Rhuidean, that was something he decided to do from the prophesies, his need, and the name "people of the Dragon"

I made a doof when I went to use the search function the first time and I was inside of a specific thread, so I got zero results to my search to the nine impossible tasks I asked about - so it was not that I did not use them, just that I made a mistake.

Anyway, here is another one that has bothered me that I could not already find answers for.

What happened to Rand's angreal - the little fat man with the sword. In Lord of Chaos, I believe it is stated that he had it in the pocket of his red coat and then again in A Crown of Swords that he was specifically looking through the wagons for that item. Any word where it might have went?

I made a doof when I went to use the search function the first time and I was inside of a specific thread, so I got zero results to my search to the nine impossible tasks I asked about - so it was not that I did not use them, just that I made a mistake.

Anyway, here is another one that has bothered me that I could not already find answers for.

What happened to Rand's angreal - the little fat man with the sword. In Lord of Chaos, I believe it is stated that he had it in the pocket of his red coat and then again in A Crown of Swords that he was specifically looking through the wagons for that item. Any word where it might have went?

No word on it that i had ever read, I have always assumed Galina had taken it. And it than got lost in the battle.  But no pov has mentioned it.

This page tells what Rand might have asked:

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/prophecies/aelfinn.html

9 impossible things that Rand would do, like others told Nicola Foretold.  It would have been 1 Foretelling or a series of Foretellings with the total number of tasks being 9.

Wow, way to have the reading comprehension of a 1st grader. We only know it because an exasperated sister mentioned that she had been foretelling constantly and one of the things she mentioned was rand doing 9 impossible things, but it was not said necessarily as a direct quote. We don't have the specific prophecy, and so the 9 should not be taken literally.

Rand says just before going to Rhuidean that they never mentioned going to Rhuidean, that was something he decided to do from the prophesies, his need, and the name "people of the Dragon"

sorry my apologies i am in the middle of a re-read for myself and i am just at the part where he went through the doorway, and not quite at the part you mentioned

Does anyone have a quote or reference to this??

Rand and Fel have a conversation in Lord of Chaos ch 18, but it is more focused (if Fel can ever be said to be focused) on the Seals, and repairing the Bore permanently.

Rand gets his cryptic note in LoC ch 50 which reads: "Belief and order give strength. Have to clear rubble before you can build. Will explain when see you next. Do not bring girl. Too pretty."  This one is about the Bore again.

Herid Fel is found dead, presumably at the hand of a gholam, in the Epilogue of LoC.

Rand thinks about the riddle that the Aelfinn gave him, which he shared with Fel, but we never get the text of that riddle.  Fel said that it "stated sound principles in both high philosophy and natural philosophy."

so maybe question 3 was how to reseal the bore again? good call :)

Nicola doesn't speaking of nine things the Dragon does--she literally states that the Dragon will do nine impossible things. As for why this might be true, in the same list its said Niccola speaks of an Amyrlin being captured--which happened to Egwene--and battles with the Seanchan--which is coming.
Considering we don't have her words, we don't know what she stated, just what a Sister reports Areina said Nicola Foretold.

No one knows. Either the Aes Sedai discarded it, or as Rand surmises, some Aes Sedai took it as a trophy. It's never mentioned again.

Considering we don't have her words, we don't know what she stated, just what a Sister reports Areina said Nicola Foretold.

Yet Tiana said 'the Dragon will do nine impossible things'. Not 1. 'the dragon turned inside out'. 2. 'the dragon broke the speed of light'. 3. 'the dragon wasn't white'... and so on.

Tiana listed Nicola's foretellings. That wording may have been her own, yet at the heart we can still tell that Nicola spoke of the Dragon doing nine impossible things, not of the Dragon doing nine things which Tiana judged to be impossible.

1. Rand asked how to cleanse Saidin and the answer was never explicitly mentioned other than in conversations with Herid Fel.

Rand and Fel have a conversation in Lord of Chaos ch 18, but it is more focused (if Fel can ever be said to be focused) on the Seals, and repairing the Bore permanently.

Rand gets his cryptic note in LoC ch 50 which reads: "Belief and order give strength. Have to clear rubble before you can build. Will explain when see you next. Do not bring girl. Too pretty."  This one is about the Bore again.

Herid Fel is found dead, presumably at the hand of a gholam, in the Epilogue of LoC.

Rand thinks about the riddle that the Aelfinn gave him, which he shared with Fel, but we never get the text of that riddle.  Fel said that it "stated sound principles in both high philosophy and natural philosophy."

Thx RAW, but i was asking for a quote that indicates that one of his questions was about the cleansing of Saidin.

The questions about the Last Battle is undeniable, and the third questions might have been about the Bore, it's a nice argument.

Thx ^^

I thought we had a more direct confirmation, if not of the quest phrase or the riddle, but of the fact, but this will do ^^ i have to re-read the series...

And maybe the third question was not "How to seal the bore" but something like "how can i defeat the DO"? (althou it does seen a little overlapping with "how to win the last battle and survive")

There is a POV that I can't seem to find that I just read last week in KoD that makes me think this means braking the seals and that rand intends to do that so he can fix the bore. Is there anything out there that says whether Rand intends to start the last battle?

Rand actually asked 5 questions and they were thus:

"Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?"

"Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?"

"Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop?"

"Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?"

"Who was that man?"

His stated reason for asking these questions was:

"I'd like to shake his hand--He made my bab[ies] fall in love with me "

**Sorry, idk why, but I had to.**

Yet Tiana said 'the Dragon will do nine impossible things'. Not 1. 'the dragon turned inside out'. 2. 'the dragon broke the speed of light'. 3. 'the dragon wasn't white'... and so on.

Tiana listed Nicola's foretellings. That wording may have been her own, yet at the heart we can still tell that Nicola spoke of the Dragon doing nine impossible things, not of the Dragon doing nine things which Tiana judged to be impossible.

Janya, not Tiana. And while she did indeed say "the Dragon Reborn will do nine impossible things", we know this is not an actual Foretelling, as the impossible cannot be done. So either Nicola "Foretold" the Dragon doing things she herself judged to be impossible, or she "Foretold" things Janya believed impossible. Or Areina said they were impossible. Whoever the impossible came from, we know it cannot be a part of the Foretelling itself, unless this is not a real Foretelling. If it is fake, we can't take anything useful in terms of prophecy, if it is real we still can't take anything from it, because we don't even know if Nicola spoke of nine things or whether that comes from elsewhere. So, the Dragon Reborn will do an indeterminate number of things, which some will think impossible. So we still cannot take anything useful. So we cannot say what Nicola said, nor whether there were any actual Foretellings mixed in with the crap, or whether she just made some guesses which turned out accurate. And we do not know if she said "the Dragon Reborn will do nine impossible things" or if she said "the Dragon Reborn will fly, he will get everyone to agree in an internet debate, he will make Cairhienin grow to a great height, he will sink Tar Valon, etc."

Archived