DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Omnipotent Aes Sedai

42Bonzo88

First I humbly apologize if this subject has come up before. I searched but I couldn't find any key words to work.

I have a problem with some Aes Sedai, (don't we all) but this kind of hits close to home. In Winters Heart (and in a few other places I can't remember right now. When Cadsuane and company are going to Far Madding to find Rand she is getting yelled at by either a Wavemistress or Wavefinder. The book sends us through about 2 pages of this when finally Cadsuane basically turns around, repeats everything the lady says and gives her answer then goes back to ignoring her once more.

Now I have seizures. They have affected my short term memory and my hearing isn't so great, so I need to be looking at or at least paying attention to someone when they are talking to me. What's the deal with Cadsuane and I believe it was Moiraine or Siuan who did it also to Nynaeve I think? They aren't using the power to do this so it seems to me they must be omnipotent. Did Robert Jordan address this 'magical' power, or does someone else have a valid reason that they can do things like this? If it's some kind of drug, sign me UP!! ;D

The context of the Far Madding incident seems to be Chapter 23.

Finding Rand seems not Cadsuane's reason for going to Far Madding.  The reason I think was to meet with someone that lived there.

I think Cadsuane ignored the Wavemistress because she (Cadsuane) did not want a fight.

The thing about Nynaeve or about Moiraine/Siuan, I am not sure what you are talking about; could you clarify?

It's just a skill that she learned. She didn't repeat back verbatum, she just told her the main points of the conversation. It's about multi-tasking, paying attention to two different things at once....

Yes ... having a good memory isn't magic.  I can hear every word that people say around me, even when I'm not specifically paying attention to them, sometimes in multiple languages.

But it is annoying when you catch other people trying to talk about you ... at least it's annoying to them.  ;)

When I did studio production at a TV station that was a skill I had to learn real quickly (along with counting seconds in my head and learning how to do a lot of stuff in 7 seconds).  Because I had my director giving me instructions, the producer saying something else, concentrating on my own task, maybe the audio op wanting a mic check, and relaying a massage from the talent to the producer.

And the director would need to talk with seven people at once and know what is happening on five different monitors while timing the show, giving orders, changing graphics (sometimes on two terminals) and following the script.  My boss ould do that while, in a pinch with sick people, techicial directing (switching video) or running audio at the same time.

I had to learn how to, at times, operate both cameras on the floor (the non robotic kind) and floor direct (cueing the anchors and giving time cues).

It takes effect to focus on several things at once, but most people can learn how to do it.

Wouldn't 'Omniscient Aes Sedai' be a better name for this thread?

The treatment does not indicate all-knowing either.

(Omnipotent means all-powerful, Omniscient means all-knowing.)

I think omnipotent would be appropiate as what was to question was how she knew what she was saying and being omnipotent would have helped her to hear or learn or whatever. If she was omniscient then it wouldn't be her ability to hear what the other woman was saying that was peculiar. Of course you could argue she would have known what she was going to say before she said it, so it's all open for interpretation!

Hmmm....

question was how she knew what she was saying

:p

omnipotent would have helped her to hear or learn or whatever.

That's omnipresent.

I just went according to thefreedictionary.com and it said something like unlimited power which is a pretty generous definition.

I don't know if Cadsuane is omnipotent, omniscieant, or omnipresent, but she's definitely omnivorous (spelling anyone?)

No, it's clearly stated somewhere that she is strictly carnivorous! :P

:) :D ;D :o ::) :-[ As normal, thanks to all of the posts. I have learned much even on what words that I should have maybe kinda used.  ;D Please understand that I do appreciate everyone's comments and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone.

I've told you my problems of communication and after reading the responses, I do some of the things and for the others, WOW!! I just was reading that part (about Cadsuane) and remembering another part similar and they were both involving Aes Sedai. Since I haven't seen any men doing anything similar (or I missed it) and not sure about any non-channeling women that's why I felt it might be an Aes Sedai thing, not necessarily using the power, but maybe something else they learned in the Tower.

Its amazing how you can read about something or watch something and think it is 'unbelievable' and then find that it happens often in real life. I just didn't think about it much. I appreciate the clarification. Thanks again to all!

Archived