DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

*Insert Important Character* sucks. I hate him/her/it.

zanotam

Lets attack and defend all of our favorite/despised characters!

Personally, I don't have many troubles with any of the characters, but Berelain does annoy me a bit. It's like, GIVE IT A BREAK!!!! To be honest though, I find the least liked characters to keep the freshest. Rand is getting a bit annoying, "GRR. ARGH. Me dragon reborn. Me tough. You girl. Me pansyboy. NO kill girl. Grr. Me tough" and then of course all the male and female characters are a bit repetitive "It's all the guys/girls fault. Why can't I understand men/women, I'm sure *insert other character here* would know what to do. I wish I could stop thinking about him/her. Repeat ad infinitum."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elayne is the most annoying main character IMHO. A close second is Perrin. Really though my only gripe with him is his blind devotion/obsession with Faile to the exclusion of anything else. I think every character has their annoying little quirks or tendencies though. It's all a matter of the readers' perception. For instance, i'd bet that most female readers are huge fans of Elayne. I'd also bet that most of them (And the occasional super-sensitive guy) probably love Perrins blind devotion/obsession with Faile. I feel like I relate to Rand the most. Not in that i'm a prophisised hero or anything but more in his morals and such, and in his skill with the ladies. ;) I can totally empathize with his inablity and unwillingness to hurt a woman. I've never had my life threatened by one but, I have had my immediate health threatened on more than one occasion lol. In my mind there are only two choices. Take a beating or run away lol. I also understand his(Somewhat feigned) arrogance that so many people seem to have a problem with. Any leader will have a certain amount of it and is really almost expected to. If he wasn't and didn't assert his authority or sometimes use it to scare people then he would/could be perceived as weak or soft.

On an off topic, but semi-related note: Look at President Obama and how he's been portrayed as weak and soft in the media. Mostly by Fox News, but millions of people watch and are influenced by their network.

Perrin "man"-ed up extremely well when he led the armies that defeated the hordes of Trollocs at the Two Rivers, and when he led an even much bigger and more powerful army that finally destroyed the Shaido Aiel, as well as basically removed the Prophet as a threat.

Perrin "man"-ed up extremely well when he led the armies that defeated the hordes of Trollocs at the Two Rivers, and when he led an even much bigger and more powerful army that finally destroyed the Shaido Aiel, as well as basically removed the Prophet as a threat.

Good points. But the fact remains the Faile has his balls stowed away securly in her pocket. So to speak.

In Perrin's defence, the Dragon, arguably a perfect example of a Super Duper Mega Awesome Ultimate Bad Ass, is actually more pathetic. He killed his wife, killed himself, and then started the end of the world and now he's trying to take over Rand's body and do it all again. Compared to that Perrin is perfectly healthy.

Good points. But the fact remains the Faile has his balls stowed away securly in her pocket. So to speak.

I strongly disagree. In fact, I believe that Faile .. even with all of her faults, has already proved herself to be a strong advantage for her husband, Perrin.

i disagree with you disagreeing lol. perrin is definitely a figure who polarizes the WoT community. i am on the negative side of him. here's a guy who doesn't see the big picture and he's tied for the 2nd most important person in randland. the freaking prophecies speak about him!!!! the fact that he would say "to hell with the rest of the world" just pisses me off. rand has it right, he has to do his job even if he doesn't want to. to me, perrin doesn't want to accept that. which annoys me to no end.

I think its that one line, "to hell with the rest of the world" which is the most polarizing. But what Perrin's critics ought to remember, is that Perrin never EVER, not one time, even came close to actually following through with those words which he knew were rashly spoken in anger and frustration.

Also, in books, 9, 10, and 11, Perrin has indeed accepted what his job is, and what his rightful place in the world is.

Hmh, I don't know about Perrin. If we didn't have his POV, I wouldn't mind him. Lets face it, he has achieved a lot, had some great victories. Too bad I get to read his thoughts and thus know that he didn't really want to do any of that, he'd rather have been in the smithy than take part of saving the world, and that he'd have let the world fall as long as he could have saved Faile (whether he said that in a desperate moment out of frustration or not, it was still a very strong thing to say). It would have been awesome if Ishamael kept closer tabs on him and realized the obsession and tried to convert him to shadow in exchange for Faile (I mean, if Ishamael told Perrin that Faile was to be given to say Semirhage and the only way to get her off the hook was to switch sides). Now that would have been a good decision to make him face. Perhaps he'd man the f up then.

I would post on how much I hate Nynaeve but her marrying Lan seems to have done something for that 20ish-years-old woman to finally trigger the process of growing up and since then she has gotten much, much more tolerable.

>But who do I hate? Hate is a strong word that could only have been applied to pre-marriage Nynaeve. I do feel strong dislike towards Cadsuane and Elayne though.

On an off topic, but semi-related note: Look at President Obama and how he's been portrayed as weak and soft in the media. Mostly by Fox News, but millions of people watch and are influenced by their network.

I mostly just detest the FOX channel  :D

But aside from that, I wouldn't say that I hate any of the characters. Egwene and Nynaeve have had some moments when I really wanted to smack them (mostly their treatment od Mat and Rand), and Elayne chapters in CoT were the most difficult to get through in whole of Wot.

man up like rand and mat.
I agree, Perrin should show the same manly, suicidal attitude towards women as Rand and Mat, and refuse to harm them even if they are Darkfriends currently trying to kill him. If only Perrin was as manly as Rand, when he refused to kill Lanfear even when the world was at risk. If only Perrin was as manly as Mat, who nearly got himself carved up by the Darkfriend woman who was trying to kill him. Yeah, Perrin, if only you could be as mature and grown up as the guy who tries to hide from his emotions and the guy who wants to run off, drink, gamble and fondle women. If only Perrin could be as manly as those two, the immature brat. Fancy trying to save the woman you love.

man up like rand and mat.
I agree, Perrin should show the same manly, suicidal attitude towards women as Rand and Mat, and refuse to harm them even if they are Darkfriends currently trying to kill him. If only Perrin was as manly as Rand, when he refused to kill Lanfear even when the world was at risk. If only Perrin was as manly as Mat, who nearly got himself carved up by the Darkfriend woman who was trying to kill him. Yeah, Perrin, if only you could be as mature and grown up as the guy who tries to hide from his emotions and the guy who wants to run off, drink, gamble and fondle women. If only Perrin could be as manly as those two, the immature brat. Fancy trying to save the woman you love.

Wow. You said it.

Let's talk about how much we hate Loial. He is so annoying.

Darkfriend! How can anyone not like Loial? Nah just kidding, I like Loial more than a lot of the minor characters.

I dislike Elaida, which means I hate pretty much every Red Aes Sedai seeing as they are all more or less exactly like Elaida. 100% anti male, control freaks beyond even for Aes Sedai, "beautiful at first glance but the second glance reveals some unattractive feature that is usually down to frowning a lot," you get the idea.

Osan'gar. To me, it seems like the only reason-the ONLY reason-he was present is to demonstrate just how long RJ can hide a bad guy for. I am not questioning RJs ability or anything at all, but any writer could have hidden Osan'gar as Dashiva the way RJ did. We didnt know much about Agnior himself, we didnt know for definite that Osangar was Aginor anyway, and the first time we see him was before Taims allegiance was apparantly debateable considering he had just saved Rand at Dumais Wells, which means Taim not wanting Rand to take Dashiva with him actually looked genuinely because Dashiva was wrong in the head. To me anyway

I dislike Elaida, which means I hate pretty much every Red Aes Sedai seeing as they are all more or less exactly like Elaida. 100% anti male, control freaks beyond even for Aes Sedai, "beautiful at first glance but the second glance reveals some unattractive feature that is usually down to frowning a lot," you get the idea.

I'd argue this.  This is certainly true for a while.  But then, there were no Reds doing much except the 'evil' ones.  As the latter books came into being, we got to see Teslyn (who is pretty darn good to Mat, aside from the typical Aes Sedai arrogance), Pevara, Tarna (not as good as the others, but willing to bond Asha'man and doesn't hate men) and Javindhra.

Basically, as we saw more than the 'evil ones', they became more human.

Actually, the first time I was going trough the series, when I got to the recycling in LoC and CoS, I was like 'WTF, Rand and company just went trough 5 books killing off those bastards and now they're coming back?' ;D

Of course, I changed my mind later. The more the merrier  ;)

Pevara is one Red I like. Although when I first read that scene where Seaine goes to her after talking with Elaida, I got the creepy vibe from Pevara. Actually I suspected her a black, who killed off her family.

True, you do see the similarities more earlier in the series.

Siuan Sanche annoys me sometimes with her ridiculous ammount of fishermans daughter references. Personaly I would have thought she might have outgrown most of them having been with the Tower twenty odd years, especially having been Amyrlin for however many of those twenty years.

I dont mind Asmodean, but I find his reason for going over to the Shadow to be the crappest thing ever. He went over to the Shadow so he be a musician forever? What kind of crappy reason is that for deciding to serve the Devil figure?

ASMODEAN: I want to live forever, so I can play music without end!

MORIDIN: Good! You can compose the song to play right before the world is destroyed.

ASMODEAN: Cool. By the way, how come you turned?

MORIDIN: So I could ponder at the workings of the universe. Eventually, I will find the way to destroy it all!

ASMODEAN: Seems a bit loony.

MORIDIN: Shut up and make the song! It cant happen without the right sound track. And dont take forever about making it!

I'm not a massive fan of Perrin but I don't mind himand I actually quite like Faile  :-[

I have to say the people who I dislike reading the most are Elayne and Nynaeve. When reading KoD the only thing that kept me going through Elayne's chapters were the fact that I knew Rand/Mat/Perrin would be coming soon.

Archived