DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene

arkinia

The general idea I get around here is everyone loves Mat and hates everyone else for one flaw or the other, a very general generalization. The person I see take the most flak is Egwene or maybe not, but that's who this thread is about. She seems to be bashed for being bitchy and being a hypocrite in some contexts or something and it is reasonable to argue that those are far from negligible flaws, but I think they are negligible flaws when it comes to Egwene. In my opinion Egwene is a very admirable character.

She is a very strong person despite all she has been through. She has been forced to watch the boy she knew since childhood, a boy she loves and was supposed to marry grow into this sort of monster or whatever, she was a damane, she has struggled to be treated her age and be treated fairly especially when she was first raised Amyrlin, she's spent the least amount of time out of all the Two River folk with her lover of choice and she is going to be held captive by Elaida I understand (I haven't read the whole series). With all this !@#$ she has been through she appears to be the most calm and collected and does the least amount of useless whining (see our lovely ta'veren trio). I think Egwene is one of the toughest broads out there and her "flaws," as with anyone else, in the story bring some realism and could make anyone more likable. She also maintains a strong set of morals and stuff, thought that might not be such a contrasting trait as I want you to believe.

This sort of reminds me of Slumdog Millionaire, how his life sucks, but he keeps on pushing on! (oops, spoiler)

Anyway, as ground breaking as all this is, I was just wondering what other people thought of Egwene (despite my perception of the forum's feelings) or is Mat a giant black hole that's just sucking up the collective character-affection?

I think Egwene is my favorite character, close to Moiraine (I like female characters, how feminine is that?). Anyone else blasphemously like any other character besides Mat that they feel don't get the proper attention they deserve (I feel like I read "I love Mat *swoon*" every thread)?

P.S. This post is very fluid.

I really liked Perrin until Faile gets kidnapped, his character seemed to lose alot of depth and become on dimensional.  My favorite characters (outside of Mat of course ;)) have usually been secondary chars like Dobraine or Sulin or Lini, she kicks ass.  Pedron Niall was really good too.  Don't like Gawyn though, he can hoop a fat one.

I admire Egwene greatly, especially with how she is approaching the situation in the Tower.  She has chosen the best path, without regard to the fact that it is the hardest, and she is pulling it off.  I take my hat off to her (if I ever wore a hat).

And frankly, Egwene and Mat would get along fairly well right now, I imagine.  I'm not saying that she would go out drinking with him, or approve of him ogling women, even though he's not going to touch now.  But working together?  As long as she isn't freaked out by the fact that he married a Seanchan (an unfortunately real possibility) they would be able to work well together.  In fact, his connection to the Seanchan may be one of the things that will allow her to get past this one last real obstacle.

(Please don't misunderstand; I know that Egwene has every reason to feel the way she does about the Seanchan, and will have more when they attack.  But she will have to work with them, on some level, at some point.)

I am glad that everyone here so far has put Egwene into the proper perspective and I'd like to add my share.

1. If I'm remembering correctly, she is two years younger than Rand when they leave the Two Rivers, so I'm assuming she's approx. 16-17 years and the Women's Circle has just let her "braid her hair". So, she is very young, imo, to in this first year being told she can channel, find out what Rand can do, start learning in the Tower and being leashed as a damane. I don't know many people that can have all that happen to them and not end up in a strait jacket and babbling "It's a beautiful day in the Neighborhood".

2. For the first three books she at first is in kind of awe of Nynaeve, then she finds that even though Nyn is stronger in the power, Egwene is still treated like she is six years old with a runny nose. Then she finds something that she can truly call her own, dreamwalking, and Nyn tries at first to take that away from her too because its too dangerous.

So, I can understand some dislike to Egwene but for all she's been through and what she had to do to get to the Amyrillian Seat, you have a very mature woman for her age and with the Aiel training, one that is very strong.

I think Egwene has done a lot in the later books to redeem her in my mind, although I don't like the way she manipulates Mat, but her character really took a beating in my mind in the earlier books.

There are a few things about her that I can remember off the top of my head that really made me dislike her in the earlier books, namely her childishness when learning to dreamwalk with the aiel, and her horrible treatment of Nynaeve. That second one was what really made me dislike her, and from that point on in the books I can't help but think of her as a huge biyatch.

But like I said, the way she's been handling herself in the last few books has gone a long way to redeeming her. Of course everytime I read those early books again, it all gets undone :P

Actually I find that all the Emonds Fielder's have grown tremendously in the last few books. Even Perrin who people dislike for being obsessed with Faile (a criticism which I myself think is way overblown) has grown into a leader who can not only command those he once viewed as his superiors, but is willing to do what it takes to get his goals acomplished. In that respect of the major characters the two that have progressed the least in my mind are Elayne and to a smaller extent Avi.

I rather enjoyed reading Egwene's sections (section?) in KoD.

Leigh described early Egwene best in her most recent posting of the re-read:

"Egwene: [...] I used to not get why people got so annoyed with Egwene, but reading this now, I see it, because she is totally the “Ooh! Ooh!” Girl.

You know who I mean: that annoying girl in grammar/high school who was always the first – and middle, and last – person to raise her hand in class; and she wouldn’t just raise it, she would shoot it up like a cannon going off, it was like she was trying to bust her own hole in the ozone layer over there. She’s the girl who is completely convinced she knows everything, and is unfortunately just smart/talented enough that it is very difficult to convince her otherwise. She has an opinion on everything, and is eager and excited and impatient and confrontational and tactless and even though you know she at least theoretically will go on to do great things one day (or at least definitely graduate college), right then she basically drives everyone there including the teacher right up the goddamn wall."

Egwene has matured, for the most part, with the aid of the Aiel and the pressures of being Amyrlin, but that part of her personality still remains a source of ire in former parts of the series.

I like Egwene as a character.  She has a lot of positive qualities.  I don't think that makes up for the fact that she -is- a hypocrite, however.  Or to phrase it differently: even interesting characters with lots of positive qualities can have major negative ones.

I don't like Egwene personally in a certain time period.  Basically from TSR to about Crown of Swords/Path of Daggers.  In this period, she was very 'Aes Sedai' doing everything she yelled at Rand for, and treating him like an evil person for using people then going on to do those sorts of things herself.

The reason for this is understandable due to their society.  She is an Aes Sedai, she's allowed to do such things, but Rand isn't.  This of course, /is/ very hypocritical.  To say otherwise or throw it off as 'minor' is to ignore the facts of the series.  It's as hypocritical as real life men treating women similarly throughout much of history.  Which is kind of the whole point of what Jordan was writing.

So basically: I like Egwene's characterization.  Sometimes I like Egwene the character.  Sometimes I don't. :)

Personaly, I like Perrin best out of the main characters, but when it comes to side characters, I have to go with Pevin and  a few of the Aiel. 

My impression of Egwene is rather the same as has been said here:  She is rather childish at the start, but matures with the Wise Ones, and then as Amyrlin.  She still has some major problems to work through (such as the Seanchan), but she is probably my favorite female character at the end.  Closer to the beggining it would be Nyneave, though she seems to demature as Egwene matures, becoming more childish and sulky.  This is probably in part perspective, though Nyneave does change some as well, as Egwene seems to have the highest sense of honor with the least childishness, particularly after she is captured. 

The general idea I get around here is everyone loves Mat and hates everyone else for one flaw or the other, a very general generalization. The person I see take the most flak is Egwene or maybe not, but that's who this thread is about. She seems to be bashed for being bitchy and being a hypocrite in some contexts or something and it is reasonable to argue that those are far from negligible flaws, but I think they are negligible flaws when it comes to Egwene. In my opinion Egwene is a very admirable character.

She is a very strong person despite all she has been through. She has been forced to watch the boy she knew since childhood, a boy she loves and was supposed to marry grow into this sort of monster or whatever, she was a damane, she has struggled to be treated her age and be treated fairly especially when she was first raised Amyrlin, she's spent the least amount of time out of all the Two River folk with her lover of choice and she is going to be held captive by Elaida I understand (I haven't read the whole series). With all this !@#$ she has been through she appears to be the most calm and collected and does the least amount of useless whining (see our lovely ta'veren trio). I think Egwene is one of the toughest broads out there and her "flaws," as with anyone else, in the story bring some realism and could make anyone more likable. She also maintains a strong set of morals and stuff, thought that might not be such a contrasting trait as I want you to believe.

This sort of reminds me of Slumdog Millionaire, how his life sucks, but he keeps on pushing on! (oops, spoiler)

Anyway, as ground breaking as all this is, I was just wondering what other people thought of Egwene (despite my perception of the forum's feelings) or is Mat a giant black hole that's just sucking up the collective character-affection?

I think Egwene is my favorite character, close to Moiraine (I like female characters, how feminine is that?). Anyone else blasphemously like any other character besides Mat that they feel don't get the proper attention they deserve (I feel like I read "I love Mat *swoon*" every thread)?

It is interesting that you failed to point out the most annoying thing about Egwene, she is at best 20, and some how she seems to think all men are inferior to her *vast worldly knowledge*  Her, Nynaeve and Elayne all have this idea that men are stupid and need to be led around by dog chain.  That is why I dislike all three. 

It is interesting that you failed to point out the most annoying thing about Egwene, she is at best 20, and some how she seems to think all men are inferior to her *vast worldly knowledge*  Her, Nynaeve and Elayne all have this idea that men are stupid and need to be led around by dog chain.   That is why I dislike all three. 

That seems to be the opinion of most women in the story and I'm sure there are plenty of valid examples of women today in some sorts of similar situations that have that opinion too. It's called perspective. Us men are driven by the hair on our chest and testosterone and without the women touch the world would be a messy place. These women just like to remind us of that, apparently more than some people might like. I think it's entertaining and adds characterization to the cultures of the story and tWoT would definitely not be as good a series without it.

Egwene could appear to be a bully because she needs to be, she holds a position of great influence and can't let herself appear to  be able to be taken advantage of. You can't be a firm leader and a carebear at the same time!

Quote from Roxinos (Egwene is the) person to raise her hand in class and she wouldn't just raise it, She would shoot it up like a cannon going off

LMAO!! The two people that come to mind are thus: 1. For the younger generation Hermoine Granger. 2. For the rest of us Horshack from the TV show Welcome Back Kotter.

I like Egwene and I think she has matured greatly. She may still have her moments, but that just adds to her being 'human'. If she was all perfect everyone would hate her for that instead of the reasons now stated in this thread. I think she has come a long way from the young girl with her hair in a braid. I actually don't like Mat to much, hes a but annoying and seems to think that whatever he does is the right thing and that everyone is bullying him. I have never seen Egwene as the 'ooh! ooh!' girl. Shes definetly no Hermoine.

I love Hermoine  ;D

Egwene is one of my favourite characters, maybe THE favourite. Sure, she has a few flaws and some blind spots (oh come ON! If every single person tells you there's something wrong with that Halima, surely that should make you think??). But without those, she would be TOO perfect.

I think that for such a young girl, she's showing remarkable intelligence, maturity, political savvy and courage.

I'm actually on my first read of CoT, just read a few parts where it is essentially yelled at you that there is something funky with Halima starting with as soon as Egwene denied her massage because she had work to do and then she gets a headache and then  says later that every time she has a massage from Halima she has dark dreams. And I'm like COULD IT BE ANY MORE OBVIOUS even though I really don't know yet whether Halima is like one of the Forsaken or Elaida's spy (don't tell me omg) Egwene should have suspected something after, what, weeks with these patterns?

Of course this obviously isn't a flaw of hers, Egwene just doesn't jump to conclusions and likes to see the good in people, a certainly non-bitchy trait of hers.  :P

Personally, I've always felt that Egwene is one of the few characters that seem to learn from their mistakes.  Most of the others continue to make the same mistakes again and again without learning any lessions. 

I give Egwene a pass on Halima, actually.  I mean, how exactly is she supposed to detect a woman who can channel saidin, or even know that such a thing is possible?  The disappearing maids situation was easily ascribed to collateral damage in the conflict between Lelaine and Romanda.

I mean, yes, its obvious to us as readers, but, lets not make Egwene responsible for what we know as readers.

Archived