DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Last 3 books, Titles

kilika

What titles do you prefer (choose one for each book, or other)  

168 members have voted

1. 1. What titles do you prefer (choose one for each book, or other)

• Book 12) The Gathering Storm: A Memory of Light Part 1
    • Book 13) Shifting Winds: A Memory of Light Part 2
    • Book 14) Tarmon Gai'don: A Memory of Light Part 3
    • Book 12) The Gathering Storm
    • Book 13) Something other than Shifting Winds
    • Book 14) A Memory of Light
    • Other

I just dont like these as titles:-

The Gathering Storm: A Memory of Light Part 1

Swirling Winds: A Memory of Light Part 2

Tarmon Gai'don: A Memory of Light Part 3

If you are making them 3 different books, grow some balls and give them their own titles.  And give the last book the "A Memory of Light" title.

What do you all think

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my preferences are a matter of record.

"The Gathering Storm" ... not so hot, but nothing we can do now.

"Swirling Winds" ... if I wanted a swirly, I'd ... well, lets not go into that.  Suffice to say I prefer "The Trumpets of Battle" or "Rent in Fire and Blood".

"A Memory of Light" should work fine by itself as the title of the final volume.  No need to go all "Tarmon Gai'don".

And no overarching title with subtitles.  Whether any of us likes it or not (and those who don't have made it clear, so PLEASE don't bother rehashing it here) these are now three separate books.

I like "Rent in fire and Blood" or even "In Fire and Blood"

I voted the second option (without aMoL part N) coz... that shipped has sailed. There will not be under title or Over title or anything.

So yeah... GS sux, but we will have to live with it. Shifting winds will have to change. Please. and aMoL is nice for the wrap up!!!

I have not seen anyone come out and say that they like the title, "Swirling Winds" and I do not like it either. Sanderson and Harriet have said that is a working title so far. Therefore, if they choose to stay with that title, I am okay with that. However, and I doubt that Harriet and Sanderson will choose this title just because I like it, But, for the second of these final three books, I think that the title The Tempest of Darkness would be a cool sounding title and would link together the titles "The Gathering Storm" to the final book, "A Memory of Light".

I think that is a good idea, to try to have the three titles to have a thematic link with one another. What do y'all think?

Why is it such a big deal with a working title?

Even if it sticks, why do we care? I do not care about titles for the books. I want to read them before making up my mind. Its not like all the other titles are fantastic now, is it? A tiltle does not make a book, and a bad title does not make a good book bad. I think you should calm yourself down a bit before raging against it...

I for one am very upset that it will not be published as one Novel.

the late Robert Jordan said and dont quote me, that he doesnt care if you have to carry it around in a wheel barrow, this will be the last book. or something like that.

you can make a giant spine and make it one book.

you can have us wait another 2 years, cause i want it as close to what it was supposed to be as RJ wanted.

But, i do understand why they say it must be broken down.

But, hey with such a huge following why not try and be different, just try it and make a change.

wasn't the person who said first that the earth is round laughed at.

what about the earth not being the center of the universe.

Just do what RJ wanted and forget the bookstores, sell them through the internet.

that makes life easier.

but, sad to say, they have worked it out Logically like the White Ajah and therefore nothing else will work.

eithery way, i still cannot wait to catch TGS and thereafter.

Why is it such a big deal with a working title?

Even if it sticks, why do we care? I do not care about titles for the books. I want to read them before making up my mind. Its not like all the other titles are fantastic now, is it? A tiltle does not make a book, and a bad title does not make a good book bad. I think you should calm yourself down a bit before raging against it...

Eh, no one is raging dude.  It's called discussion.  As to why do we care?  Because Robert Jordan wanted his final book to be called A Memory of Light.  Not Tarmon Gai'don.  And I will not be making my mind up before I read the book like you seem to suggest, but the working title "Swirling Winds" is awful, you know, i know it, everyone knows it. 

But, for the second of these final three books, I think that the title The Tempest of Darkness would be a cool sounding title and would link together the titles "The Gathering Storm" to the final book, "A Memory of Light".

I think that is a good idea, to try to have the three titles to have a thematic link with one another. What do y'all think?

That's quite good. Not brilliant, but a distinct improvement over the current lot.

A small correction. The title for book 13 is still Shifting Winds, not Swirling Winds. Jason has updated the news from Jordancon. The part about Swirling Winds was his mistake.

I voted "other". The first three options make no sense to me. Had Tor taken more efforts to keep true to RJ's vision they could have published the books together under the titles "A Memory of Light. Volume 1.", "A Memory of Light. Volume 2" etc. The subtitles wouldn't be necessary, but if anybody is more comfortable because of them, they might give the volumes subtitles, provided they make clear that these are still the titles of a larger novel's sections. The Gathering Storm and Shifting Winds would have worked as such subtitles, but Tarmon Gui'don would have sucked even in this case. But that's not an option now. RAW is right, A Memory of Light does not exist anymore. The resulting three books are not parts 1, 2, 3 of anything. Nor does it make sense to call just one of them A Memory of Light.

The current titles for the next two books are the weakest in the series so far, IMHO. They could have been good chapter titles, but RJ would never have used something that generic for a book. Tarmon Gai'don is simply horrible.

And I think to give titles to the books you haven't yet read and have only a vague idea what each of them will be about is ridiculous. That's IMHO, naturally.

I too think that at the end of the day, the books will look better without the overarching title. Hopefully the second title will be a little more dramatic than just swirling winds. I would have hoped that for Gathering Storm, but it as a simple descriptive title I do think it fits in the line of, say, The Great Hunt and Winter's Heart. For the last book, I too think A Memory of Light is called for.

There is absolutely no excuse for 3books. We know 1,000 page books (375,000+ words) can be published (see WOT 4 and 6). Robert Jordan swore it would be done in 1 book (no matter how big).

It doesn't matter how many loose ends there are. Any writer should be able to tie them up satisfactorily in 1 book (2 at the absolute most). This whole series suffered from bloat and now it is happening again. They need a stronger editor (having your wife as your editor is not a good way to keep a story tightly edited).

Most authors can fit a hell of a lot of story into a trilogy so how did this series blow out to 14 books? If this was completed inside 6 books it would have been a ripper but it suffers from too much padding.

The last book should be achieved in 2 books maximum. Full stop. It is simply a money grabbing exercise. The only way to stop such disrespect of fans is to boycott buying it. Borrow from the library, borrow from a friend, download an ebook or audiobook, etc, etc.

Shame such a good concept and original story has been soured.

There is absolutely no excuse for 3books. We know 1,000 page books (375,000+ words) can be published (see WOT 4 and 6). Robert Jordan swore it would be done in 1 book (no matter how big).
And have you actually read their excuses? If not, shut up. Also, there is a slight difference between a 1,000 page book and a 2,000 page book.

Robert Jordan swore it would be done in 1 book (no matter how big).
No, he did not say any such thing.
Do we really need to go through this again, Maj? As I've already given the "one book, because I can't split it without harming the quality" quote, I think it's your turn to provide the "I know I said I wanted the best finale possible, and I know I said the only way to get that is one more book, but I really think it should be split in two" quote.

Do we really need to go through this again, Maj? As I've already given the "one book, because I can't split it without harming the quality" quote, I think it's your turn to provide the "I know I said I wanted the best finale possible, and I know I said the only way to get that is one more book, but I really think it should be split in two" quote.

There is a difference between writing two individual books, and writing a single book that is split in two parts. What RJ said was that he would write one book, and that he would try to make TOR publish it as a single volume. He has never promised that AMOL would not be split.

There is a difference between writing two individual books, and writing a single book that is split in two parts. What RJ said was that he would write one book, and that he would try to make TOR publish it as a single volume. He has never promised that AMOL would not be split.

Majsju, do you really need to bring this same discussion to a thread where it obviously doesn't belong? Those who think it's good that AMoL is dead don't need your convincing them. Those who don't, will not be convinced with your semantic arguements either. What are you trying to do? Or do you for some reason want this thread closed as well?

Your "one-novel-three-books" arguement might have worked if Tor published them simultaneously under the titles AMoL. Vol. 1., AMoL. Vol.2, AMoL. Vol. 3 and sold as a set. But now they are making three different novels that will most likely be as self-contained as novels in a series like this can possibly be. No semantic arguements you can invent will change that.

But wait-

*runs to Brandon's web site*

He had promised readers a big, big book--not big for big's sake, but big because there was so much to do, so much to tie up...

But you are also splitting a book that Robert Jordan intended to be one book.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL

*gasp* You disagreed with Brandon about something AMoL-related!  :o

Now maybe you will finally deign to explain what you think of another "promise" Brandon mentioned in his article?

Again, I wouldn't brought it up here in this thread, but as it has gone off-topic anyway, mostly due to your efforts, I see no reason why I can't reply to your posts.

I find it's self-explanatory that people who think that AMoL's demise is a good thing, unlike their opponents, are usually very reluctant to provide any quotes to support their arguments. Even now Majsju is discussing what RJ promised and what he didn't without providing a single example of what RJ actually said on this subject.

I wonder how many threads will have to be locked before this discussion stays exactly where it has been the whole time.   :D

Yes, the threads where attempts at a serious discussion of the split are made do tend to die a painful death. For some reason, an altenative opinion on this subject is badly unwanted here.

Yes, the threads where attempts at a serious discussion of the split are made do tend to die a painful death. For some reason, an altenative opinion on this subject is badly unwanted here.

It's not the topic that causes the threads to die.  It's the bad air that gets generated through both sides of the argument not giving any ground.

Personally, I feel it's past time to give the topic a rest.  For heaven's sake, even boxers get a break between rounds.  Let's talk about something else for a while.  ;D

It's not the topic that causes the threads to die.  It's the bad air that gets generated through both sides of the argument not giving any ground.

By both sides? Will you, please, remind, who called an idiot whom in the latest closed thread?

People who disagreed with splitting AMoL provided facts, quotes, links. Our opponents did nothing of the kind. Instead, they tried to "debunk" them with obvious lies, unsupported claims, insults and the same "How-dare-you-delusional-idiot-blaspheme-against-Harriet" sentiment. It's self-explanatory, isn't it?

Personally, I feel it's past time to give the topic a rest.  For heaven's sake, even boxers get a break between rounds.  Let's talk about something else for a while.  ;D

Haven't we had a break between the moment the last thread was closed and Majsju going offtopic here? ;D

Personally, I'm not going to piss off the mods and open another thread on this topic, as it is for some reason clearly unwanted here and nothing good will come of it. And I'm not going to deliberately lead other threads offtopic. But if someone starts posting here the same old BS and at this particular moment I feel like replying, I see no reason why I can't do this.

By both sides? Will you, please, remind, who called an idiot whom in the latest closed thread?

Note that I said that neither side gave ground.  I said nothing about name calling. 

Haven't we had a break between the moment the last thread was closed and Majsju going offtopic here?

Not that it matters much, but looking back Maj was commenting on someone else's post...Maj wasn't the one who brought the topic up.

And har-har, I'm sure you know I mean more than a day.  ;D

Archived