DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Two thoughts..

Skinwalker

howdy, im sorta new here because its been about a year or two since i last visited and i sure did miss these forums...

Anyway, i have two thoughts concerning AMoL. One concerning Mat and the other Rand, although im not so sure the one with Rand will happen at all.

So, we all know that Mat is supposed to "sacrifice half the light of the world" to save the other half, and alot of people have been going on about how since he thinks the Eelfinn can see through "his" eyes, he is going to get rid of one. I am absolutely certain that that is a load manure. The Eelfinn like to bargain, they always negotiate a price with the wishes they grant and if no price is set by the wisher they set one afterwards. Therefore I propose that Mat is going to bargain for Moraines life using an eye as his "chip", hence Egwenes dream of him with his eye on a scale. I would assume that the 'finnys would be weighing it to determine whether or not it is acceptable and that MAt would have learned more about the consequences of his wishes by that time.

Now moving on to Rand....

This is a tentative theory that I came up with and probobally shouldnt be taken with a grain of salt.

We all know Rand gets sick from holding/using saidin, and that he can barely stand when trying to channel because of the nausea. Well, if you remember when his and Moridins balefire crossed in Shadar Logoth they seemed to form some sort of link between them. I propose that Rand may eventually be able to tap the True Power because of their "crossing" and therefore be free from his handicap. However, since the True Power is that of the Dark One's, I would assume that this would never happen. And even if it did there would most likely be horrible consequneces. I know that there is no basis for this theory at all but it does have at least a little merit.

So that, my freinds, is all i have to say about that. So feel free to flame away.

About Mat's eye: would he really be willing to give up one of his eyes for Moiraine if he couldn't get something out of it (i.e. preventing the Finns from seeing through them anymore)? I'm not trying to say that Mat is selfish and wouldn't recognize that Moiraine has put her life on the line for him before; but surely he would have other bargaining chips if something weren't driving him to give up an eye.

Although, maybe there is something driving him other than the Finns, and we just don't know about it yet. *shrug*

Guest Majsju

As for Rand using TP...TP can only be used with the DO's direct permission, and so far it hasn't appeared to be suicidal, so I kinda doubt Rand would get that permission.

Guest cwestervelt

If you consider the fact that the True Power comes directly from the Dark One, it would be rather difficult for someone to use it without the Dark One knowing about it. He even knows when any of the male Forsaken channel the One Power becuase of the link that provided them with protection from the Taint.

But Moiraine saw in the rings that Mat and one other have to be there as well. It won't be Thom by himself' date=' so Mat and his eye could still end up involved, one way or another.[/quote']

and as far as i can tell the one other appears to be noal, who is jain farstridr unless im mistaken

i just had a thought. If the dark one can tell who is using the true power, that would mean there would have to be some sort of distinguishing characteristic left as a residue or something whenever someone draws from it. But what if when Rands and Moridins Balefire crossed, their "imprints" became mergd and became one? That way, whenever Rand drew from the TP the dark one would think it was moridin?

I've never really liked the theory of Mat having to give up one of his eyes to fulfill that prophecy. It seems to me that trading an eye is a small price to pay to save the entire world. Here's my thought:

The "light of the world" could refer to what actually provides light for the world... the sun and the moon. Since Tuon is very much tied to the moon, being, in title, the Daughter of the Nine Moons, I think this prophecy refers to Mat's eventual need to give up the moon (Tuon) to save the world.

Giving up his wife... the only woman Mat has ever truly loved, seems like a much more personal and heart-wrenching sacrifice to make, than losing an eye to save Moiraine.

Commence flaming.

Chris

I haven't thought about this too much, but part of the Finn's rules, snakes and foxes rules, and Mat's answers in Finnland could be related.

"Fire to blind" (or is it Light to Blind?)

"Give up half the Light of the World to save the World"

Its fire.

And i agree that the loss of the eye will result from a direct choice of Mats too lose that eye, wether in bargaining with the Finn, or in hiding from them.

No, the Dark One has shown that to use the TP you need his direct permission... incidents like Ba'alzammon asking for help in the Dragon Reborn (showing even those who are allowed to use it require the Dark Ones direct permission at the moment of the channeling), and the fact that the other forsaken no longer can despite once being able too... Moreover Rand would have no reason to... most of the forsaken conclude there was never a reason to,

• 1 month later...

maybe Rand will draw the True Power through Moridin so the Dark On ewont know the difference.

also, about Mat, maybe he gets three questions from the Finns again. Maybe he says "Is Moiraine Damodred alive and in your custody?" then "Does Rand need her?" and then "Free her in exchange for one of my eyes."

Now when Moiraine wrote that letter to Mat re her being still alive and about Mat rescuing her, she said three men would come. Mat, Thom, and one other, a man she didnt know. And I reckon that that guy is Noal.

naol is jain farstrider i beleive

also, the only way to win at snakes & foxes is to cheat, and the rules for entering those ter'angreal include briring nothing made of iron, no music instruments, and no fire

i think they will all three utilize one of these items to coerce the finns into getting moiraine back. how does matts eye come into it? dunno, but itll be interesting to see what the tower of ghenje is like

But Moiraine saw in the rings that Mat and one other have to be there as well. It won't be Thom by himself' date=' so Mat and his eye could still end up involved, one way or another.[/quote']

I honestly think that you guys are taking Egwene's dream too litterally. Yes, she sees him weighing his eye on a scale, but she has also seen him bowling with humans as the pins. Mat hasn't done that yet and he won't. It is a figurative dream. Maybe his eye is symbolic for the light of the world and since he has two eyes, if he gave up one he would be giving up "Half" of the light to save the world. So as far as all of the speculation on wether or not he is going to give up his eye is useless. We will know what happens in MoL but untill then get off the kick that he is going to lose his eye.

When Rand first meets Min, she tells him she sees "a red eagle, an eye on a balance scale, a dagger with a ruby, a horn, and a laughing face" when she looks at Mat.(EotW p216) It's been awhile since I read the series, and I forget where, or if Egwene also had a dream about his eye on a scale, but what Min sees is always true.

Since Mat is going to risk his neck to save Moirane's hide, Mat might as well get some payback on the finns that nearly took his life. The finns referred to Mat as "gambler" and "trickster" and we all know that Mat is very lucky with the dice and a smartass from time to time, ultimately I think he is going to use some sort of trick via his eye and or the snakes and foxes game (the one where you need to cheat in order to win) that will pay back the finns for what they did and save the world in some way that Mat won't realize until after the deed is done. Of course I am not entirely sure how Mat's eye will be used in order to get payback (Maybe something to do with his memories?) on the finns so perhaps the bargaining chip theory is a more feasible one.

When Rand first meets Min' date=' she tells him she sees "a red eagle, an eye on a balance scale, a dagger with a ruby, a horn, and a laughing face" when she looks at Mat.(EotW p216) It's been awhile since I read the series, and I forget where, or if Egwene also had a dream about his eye on a scale, but what Min sees is always true.[/quote']

Yes, she dreams of his eye on a scale. She also sees him dicing with his hat on low so she can't see his eyes and sees blood streaming down his face.

As far as what Min seeing always being true, it isn't that the auras are always true, but that when she knows what they mean they happen. She hasn't said that she knows what the eye on a scale means. If I remember right she says that she doesn't. Now the other thing you have to remember is that she has to interpret the viewings as much as Egwene has to interpret her dreams.

So we are back to the fact that Mat losing his eye is most likely figurativly.

Mat bowling with human pins is almost certainly a reference to using "dragons" in combat (those are basically cannons, people) which is suggestive for many reasons (cannons are most effective against tropps in formation, etc.)

This next bit is fairly speculative, but bear with me.

If the losing the eye bit is not part of the rescue of Moiraine from the Tower of Ghenjei (which it well could be, I admit) it may be part of a deal he would have to strike with the Seanchan POST Tar'mon Gaidon. The Seanchan place great symbolic importance on eyes, and Nicola's fortelling talks of a world divided by the Return, and danger after the "great battle". Mat is in a unique position to bargain with the Seanchan, and losing an eye might be some sort of symbolic redress for forcing them to back off. The Seanchan are big on physical representations of honor (different forms of head shaving, fingernails, etc.) Mat is supposed to give up half the light of the world to save the WORLD, not Moiraine.

Guest cwestervelt
Mat is supposed to give up half the light of the world to save the WORLD, not Moiraine.

Don't forget that Rand can't win without a woman who is dead and gone. That woman is most likely Moiraine. That meens Mat would be saving the World by saving Moiraine.

Here's an interesting thought for you...

What IF...

When Moridin's and Rand's Balefire, when it touched set off a reation that allowed Moridin to listen to Rand's mind, or if it were really MORIDIN in Rands head. Or not, But back to the being able to read his thoughts, maybe that is how he knew where to find Rand when Rand was going to Cleanse Sadin...

I need to work on this theory more...

Archived