DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Lan dead inside?

Paradox

So is he? We've all been told through out the books that when a warders Aes Sedai dies he lose all will to live. So is Lan suffering from “bond breaking emotional trauma”?

Well I'm not sure. We know that Moiraine didn't die, though some/most may argue that the way the bond broke constitutes the same thing. But what if the bond didn't break?

Right before Moiraine pushes Lanfear through the ter'angreal we have this passage “she forced him [Lan] out of here mind ... she had long since done what she could too see that he survived his lone war with the Shadow.”  Couldn't this be Moiraine passing the bound to Myrelle?

All the pain and suffering Lan been feeling since Moirains death could be regular grief. She was  his constant companion for 20 some years and Lan is after all a really devoted guy.

Thoughts? Critique?

He is indeed suffering from the "bond breaking emotional trauma".  Nynaeve is helping him cope with it.

And the bond most definitely is broken, or he wouldn't be sure that Moiraine is dead.  The bond was snapped when Moiraine was burned out due to channeling in close proximity to a severely malfunctioning ter'angreal.

It seems to me that Lan has already gotten over the bond breaking especially since being reunited with Nynaeve & since marry Nynaeve.

Passing a bond and making preparations for bond to pass, I think channeling is involved in both cases.  The person to hold the bond I think would need to be present in both cases.

The comment about forcing Lan out of her mind, that to me is not passing the bond; it seems more like not paying attention to Lan so that she could fight Lanfear.

Severing and burning out also break a warder's bond; not just death.

Not sure if those are the only possibilities since we do not know what happened on the other side of the door.

If Moiraine transferred the bond before going through the doorway Lan would assume she died based on the “She is gone. I cannot feel here presence” and seeing her jump in to a “ malfunctioning ter'angreal”

Also Moiraine being burned out is very likely, but not a fact. I mean it all rests on Lanfear coming back weaker. Therefore she must have been burned out and healed, possible but also not a fact. But as RAW said covered in other threads.

It doesn't say it outright, but that is one of the things that is so unequivocally clear that I feel comfortable stating it as fact.  It is the only explanation for her current situation, for a number of reasons which have been thoroughly covered in other threads.  I encourage you to seek them out.

She might have been burned out when the ter'angreal went haywire, that doesn't mean she hasn't since been fixed though. I assume Lanfear was burnt out when that happened as well.

It doesn't say it outright, but that is one of the things that is so unequivocally clear that I feel comfortable stating it as fact.  It is the only explanation for her current situation, for a number of reasons which have been thoroughly covered in other threads.  I encourage you to seek them out.

She might have been burned out when the ter'angreal went haywire, that doesn't mean she hasn't since been fixed though. I assume Lanfear was burnt out when that happened as well.

And who exactly would of healed her?

And I suppose Charlz means the 'Finns could have. But that just brings up other problems.

I hope that isn't what he meant ... as I generally respect him and that would be stupid.

Lanfear was burned out at the same time, yes.  Then Lanfear died or was killed, and was transmigrated, and then Healed.  Moiraine has not had the same opportunity.  I am willing to stake the entirety of my reputation as a reasonably intelligent human being on the fact that, as of the end of Knife of Dreams, she is currently imprisoned and unable to channel the One Power.

Even more: Healed by a woman.

Jordan said straight out in an interview that women need men to heal them to go back to full power, and men need women (thus why Logain was healed to full but Siuan/Leane weren't, and why the AS in Cairhien were).  Lanfear is weaker than she was -- this implies that if she was burnt out and healed, she was healed by a woman.

Archived