DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lie from an Aes Sedai?

trakand_01

I'm reading book 11, and I can't remember if it's Perrin or Mat (I dont have the book with me right now) but I think it's Perrin to either Masuri or Seonid, tells her something, and she sarcastically says "Thank you, I wouldnt have known if you had not told me."

She was clearly being sarcastic - how could she say this if she was under oath?

From RJ's blog:

For Majsju, the oath against lying does leave room for sarcasm.  It is intent and result that matter.  No sister can intentionally speak an untruth either with the intent of passing on false information or with the belief that false information might be passed on.  Thus the careful slicing and dicing of words.  But if someone were to hold up a piece of white cloth and ask whether it was black or white, someone who had sworn the Three Oaths would be capable of saying that it was black as a matter of sarcasm.  But not if, for example, the person asking the question was blind and thus might well take the statement for truth rather than sarcasm.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=31

The only way to violate the First Oath is to 1) speak a word that is technically not true in 2) an attempt to actually deceive someone.  It takes both.  If you speak the truth in a deceptive way, you're fine.  If you speak an actual lie, but its meant sarcastically, then you're ok.  Its only when both the intent and the word are untrue that you have a problem.

ROFLMAO !!

It's amazing how they can spin the Oath against lying, but not the one against using the Power as a weapon. There doesn't seem to be much leeway on the last one, judging by several POVs.

There doesn't seem to be much leeway on the last one, judging by several POVs.

As far as I'm aware, if the Aes Sedai truly believes that the individual in question is a Darkfriend, she can kill that individual with the Power.

Under the Light, I vow not to use the One Power as a weapon, except against Shadowspawn, or in the last defence of my life, the life of my Warder, or that of another Sister.

Shadowspawn, not Darkfriends. The point is, they really seem to have to be in imminent danger in order to even form attacking weaves. Also, if they inadvertently use it as something close to a weapon, it could have some consequences. What exactly, I'm not sure, but see New Spring, where Moiraine snagged the archer who shot Lan in flows of Air, and Bukama and the other guy shot him. Don't have the books on my right now, so can't quote.

Archived