DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Intricacies

kilika

In light of recent events and press releases about the final book I want to push a thread away from that and relvel in the brillance that is Robert Jordans depth of writing.

As we all know there is a multitude of intricacies and hidden meanings in the Wheel of Time.  

I want to pick up on a quote from Thom Merrilin in Chapter 20 of The Shadow Rising.

“And that is only a thousand years back. Go back further, back to the oldest tales I know, from the Age before the Age of Legends. Did Mosk and Merk really fight with spears of fire, and were they even giants? Was Elsbet really queen of the whole world, and was Anla really her sister? Was Anla truly the Wise Counselor, or was it someone else? As well ask what sort of animal ivory comes from, or what kind of plant grows silk. Unless that comes from an animal, too.”

He poses a series of questions about OUR age, obviously some of the answers are easy:

Elephants

Silk Worms

Queen Elizabeth (I'm going to say Elizabeth I rather than Elizabeth II, as she controlled a larger empire)

So who are Mosk and Merk?

And who was Anla?

Any thoughts?

Cheers guys.

I believe this is all covered in the WoT FAQ

Mosk and Merk are probably Moscow(USSR) and America.  There is a reference elsewhere that claims they had spears that would reach around the world.  Anla the wise counselor is probably Anne Landers.

Check the FAQ, it has a thread about references to our world in the series.

Reference to the Queen of all would be to Queen Elizabeth II. The Bristish Empire during Elizabeth I time was actually quite small (consisted mainly of the British Isles, The illfated Roanoke colony in Virginia and a few other colonies). Elizabeth the Second is the Titular head of the British Commenwealth which includes most of Briatain's former colonies.

In truth, we dont actually 'control' much of what was our wonderful Empire at all, and our Queen (whilst imo very very important as a figurehead) is all but powerless. India is self-ruled, and although Australia and Canada are still part of the commonwealth, they have their own 'rulers' as surely as we have our excuse for a PM. I'm not complaining though, rather stoic Brown than the slimy slug opposition but that's another debate.

However, I agree that during EII's reign we HAVE controlled more of the world than EI did. Out of all of them i'd have said Victoria was 'Queen of the World' but 'Elza' obviously refers to Elizabeth.

India is no longer controlled, in any aspect, by the Queen; nominally or otherwise.

The Commonwealth realm includes 16 states.

The Monarchy of Antigua and Barbuda

The Monarchy of Australia

The Monarchy of the Bahamas

The Monarchy of Barbados

The Monarchy of Belize

The Monarchy of Canada

The Monarchy of Grenada

The Monarchy of Jamaica

The Monarchy of New Zealand

The Monarchy of Papua New Guinea

The Monarchy of Saint Kitts and Nevis

The Monarchy of Saint Lucia

The Monarchy of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

The Monarchy of the Solomon Islands

The Monarchy of Tuvalu

The Monarchy of the United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_realm

I was referring to the "Commenwealth of Nations" the 53 country intergovernmental group made up of the UK and 52 former colonies of which Elizabeth II is the Titular head. See, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nationsedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

Archived