DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Basics {Attn: Alliveer}

TaiDashan

Shad put on his best black robe and checked his daggers up his sleeves. The edge of the hood and cuffs of his sleeves were worked in silver embroidery. He wanted to look impressive. He was to teach another the basics of the One Power today. Arcon had come to him late last night and requested that he do this. Smiling to himself he allowed the expression to beam out from under his hood. He was getting better at controlling his new found emotions with the help of Arcon but while alone he could let fly the emotion. Placing his hand on the door he stilled his face to the all familiar mask of emotionlessness and swept into the corridor. It would be difficult to teach but he would have to learn how as he went along.

Folding his hands into his sleeves and resting them at his waist, he glided up the hall silently. Arcon had taught him other things and the thought of remaining hidden, striking from the shadows pleased him. He briefly considered Arcon for a moment. The man had become like an older brother, or a father of sorts since Shad's arrival at the Fortress. Shad knew the man was self serving and constantly maneuvering for position. If the man was power hungry, so was everyone at the Fortress. Shadar was a pawn in a way in his game, he was aware he was a pawn, but was content for that to be the case. Shadar also liked to think that Arcon held some special concern for him beyond his usefulness but was not willing to stake his very life on it. Just close. So Shad was content to be used and use the man in return to learn what was required. His devotion to the man was that only less then to the Great Lord himself. They both knew it, and Shadar was content to have it so.

Arriving at the Entrance to the Courtyard he briefly checked his deep hood and made sure that it was well forward, if he was to teach he would need to inspire respect. All but the most direct light would leave his face clothed in shadow to any but the most perceptive. Stepping into the Courtyard he approached the spot he had been instructed his pupil would meet him at.

Guest dragonsworn1991

Alliveer checked his appearance in the mirror. He wanted to look neat, but only just so. People would underestimate someone who they didn't see a standout. Alliveer walked out of his room, and was already thinking about possible maneuvers, ones that had to be made, and some that he could play around with a little while. His instructor would play a roll in gaining him power, Arcon had already started him on his way and he wasn't about to stop now. Alliveer had learned to watch the corridors in this fortress, anyone could be lurking in them, and he didn't quit know how far he could trust this peace of the shadow, and besides the hallways always seemed to change, they were never quit the same.

Alliveer could see the courtyard where Arcon had instructed him to go, and he could see a figure dressed in black, and trimmed with silver. This man had somewhat of a daunting impression, yet Alliveer would not let that bother him. He half expected Arcon to put him with the most impressive person he could. Walking in the courtyard, Alliveer walked towards the man and said, "My name is Alliveer, I have came for my lesson." There the man knew he was here, now to see what he would do.

While he waited, Shadar contemplated the task before him. Arcon had been helping him learn how to manipulate people, how to bend them to his will. So far the peddler had been his only success. Intimidation and threat had worked well enough, but here he would have to use a different tactic. You could not exactly threaten an initiate. Not without being taught a painful lesson that was.

A man approached in what could only be the manner of someone new to the Fortress. His blond hair and jet black eyes set him apart if not the scar. It reached from his eye to pull his face in a scowl. Shadar noted it with interest. The man did not have an easily forgettable face. He noted with a slight twinge of satisfaction that the man bluntly announced his presence and purpose. Arcon had taught him that there was a balance between those that truly were open and those that pretended to be.

"Hello Initiate Alliveer." He said softly. He kept his voice controlled and quiet, like a whisper in dead leaves, yet loud enough to hear.  "I am Adept Shadar. Dreadlord Arcon has instructed me to teach you the basics of the One Power that you have recently been made more aware of. At this time the Source eludes you more often than not I assume. Regardless I will start at the beginning as all things should. Do you know of the Ko Di? Some Call it the Void, or the Oneness."

Silently he waited for the other man to reply. He would teach him everything he knew. If only for Arcon's sake.

Guest dragonsworn1991

Alliveer had a respect for the man, the way he stood and his quit yet direct manner which spoke of no disobedience. The man, Shadar, asked about the void, the technique that Master Arcon taught him. Alliveer thought the name with a bit of respect, and just a hint of contempt.

"Yes adept Shadar, Master Arcon has taught me the technique." Alliveer didn't think this man was as set on tittles as Arcon, yet he wanted to judge and see how he took to them. The way the man didn't correct him for his lack of deference spoke of a confidence that no tittle could add to, this man knew he wielded power and he did not want to flaunt it. "I am ready to learn whatever you will teach me."

"Yes adept Shadar, Master Arcon has taught me the technique. I am ready to learn whatever you will teach me" Shadar thought a moment before nodding, his hood dipping slightly with the motion of his head. Arcon had mentioned the lad had already learned the basics but Shadar wanted to press him, cause some frustration and see how he would react. It would be his first lesson in how far he could push someone before they reached their limit.

"Good, eagerness to learn will allow you to go far. While refusal to give your will to the Great Lord, and those who speak for him, will lead to pain. Mark this lesson well." He paused a moment to make sure the weight of his words were appreciated. "I want you to achieve the Oneness you have been taught. Do not be frustrated by failure, it is common in the beginning and only serves to teach. Only Failure to the Great Lord is something to fear."

The man attempted the Oneness repeatedly until he was able to achieve and hold it. It did not take overly long, nor was he extremely fast about it. Once he saw the man's dark eyes go flat Shadar continued.

"Good. Now, stretch your awareness and feel Saidin pulsing in the emptiness. Some refer to it as a light just over their shoulder. Some, a glow they can almost see just beyond sight. Feel for it and sense its presence nothing more." Shadar wove a shield in case the man drew on Saidin in ignorance while sensing it. "Often times,you will not be able to do more than sense the Source in these early stages. Your most earnest attempts at seizing it and bending it to your will will fail like trying to catch the wind in your fingers. Now I want you to seize the Source. Do nothing but hold it," He said warningly, his voice taking on an edge of steel wrapped in silk. "I will be here should things go wrong. do not let them." Perhaps it was unfair of him to be so strict. The man truly could not have more than a fumbling control of the Source at this point. However, if Arcon had taken an interest in him, and requested Shad to train him; Shadar would not hand him a soft tool. The man fumbled for the source. He seized and lost the Source a few times, his frustration growing until finally he held the Source.

"Good." He could see the struggle on the man's face as he fought to keep himself alive in the struggle for survival that was Saidin. "Now release Saidin." Shadar nodded in satisfaction when the man complied without delay. "A point of note, if you are told to release Saidin and delay, or should you seize without being told in an instruction. You will be punished, and it will not be pleasant. Now I want you to seize the Source again, this time inspect it. You will find it is made up of 5 distinct parts, or flavors if you will." Shadar proceeded to explain the 5 elements that made up the Source, weaving as he spoke.

"In case you cannot see the weaves yet, I will do something with each to illustrate. First is Fire." He pulled his hand from his sleeve and held it out between them.

"Fire," He wove a strand of Fire and folded it in on itself, creating a small ball of flame above his palm. It danced and swirled hypnotically. Shadar surpressed a grin as he saw the man's expression, instead he continued. "Next is Air," He wove a flow of Air and snapped a twig off of the nearby bush, floating it to him to be consumed in the flame. "Water," he spoke softly as he wove the element, drawing moisture out of the air to hover above the flame. Releasing it he let it extinguish the flame. "Earth," He wove a set of chairs from stone behind both of them. "Finally, Spirit." As the words left his lips he slammed the web of Spirit's edge between the man and the Source, cutting him off suddenly. "That feeling of loss that you now feel will never go away. Neither will the panic you feel at being without the Source suddenly. It is somewhat akin to the earth dropping out from beneath you without warning. It is terrifying to be robbed of this power suddenly. Get used to this fear and do not let it cripple you when the time comes to serve."

Shadar studied the man for his reaction, hidden in the shadows of his hood. After a moment he spoke, suppressing a nod. The man had dealt well so far. It was coming easier to Shadar than he had expected, maybe it was the fact that the man was new. "Are you still so sure you are ready to learn? If so we will continue..."

Guest dragonsworn1991

As the Shadar instructed, Alliveer sought the void. Alliveer tried to push everything in, but the feeling Alliveer had towards this man, shattered it every time. Alliveer would not accept defeat. He pushed in his bitterness to this man and for a wonder the void held, and he had achieved the oneness. The pain in his arm was only distant from the incident, that happened while he was training with Arcon.

Now Shadar wanted him to gain control of saidin. He wanted him to fight the battle for his life, but in a strange way Alliveer enjoyed that fight. He enjoyed conquering and he had plans to once he was allowed a little more freedom. Alliveer beckoned to the pallid yellow glow, and before he knew it he was riding the molten tides of saidin. His arm began to burn more. Alliveer let go of the source, the pain in his arm was to great. Alliveer mentally scolded himself and tried again. Eventually he was holding saidin, and the fire in his arm raged alongside it yet Alliveer was in firm control of both.

Next Shadar wanted him to identify the parts of saidin. He had already worked with them, with Alliveer so he could identify and draw them at will. Yet all he could create was useless weaves. Alliveer had never learned anything useful with the power, not yet at least. Alliveer was listening to this man pompously rant, and the next thing he knew was that feel of saidin was gone. All of a sudden the heightened awareness was back to dull reality, and the pain of his arm suddenly stood out in the forefront of his mind, and i took everything he had to keep a straight face. "Are you still so sure you are ready to learn? If so we will continue..."

"Yes, I would very much like to."

Shadar listened to the strain in the man's voice and nodded. Good, he could hold his temper. He knew Arcon had walked through these steps with the man but wanted to see how he would react to being re-taught. His wonder at why Arcon had chosen this one for a tool grew, but he was not one to question. Arcon had asked it of him, that was enough. He would learn how to shape the tool that Arcon would use. Teaching in the One Power or manipulating a man to his own gain, the two today were mutually exclusive.

"Enough of the basics. In this class, you will learn how to weave, how to tie off weaves, how to cut the flows of others, and how to grasp the Power when you need it." Shadar's voice became hard. The man had an arrogant air that would soon be crushed from him if he did not get it under control. "You will seize and release on command, and weave as I tell you. No more, no less. If you do not, you will be punished. Disobedience is painfully discouraged here." Waiting a moment to let the words sink in, Shadar replaced his hands in his sleeves and watched the man for a moment.

"Now, I want you to seize the Source. We are going to go through some basic weaves." Without waiting to see if the other man complied, he seized the Source and rode the torrents of fire and ice that told him he was alive. "First I will teach you one of the most basic of weaves, the Fireball." Raising his hand, palm outward he started weaving the required elements, Air and Fire. Flicking the first to fingers on his hand upward and his thumb outward he completed the weave and sent it hurtling into the sky. The hand motions were not necessary or so Arcon said, but Shad had learned the weave that way and could do it no other way. Weaving Earth he brought up 3 stones the size of a man's head. Tossing one up into the air he wove Fire and Air and the rock was turned to molten dust.

"Next, you will learn Riven Earth."  Moving another of the stones a few paces off with a simple flow of Air, he pressed his hands together at the wrists palms outward, and wove Earth and Fire into the ground in front of him. The ground erupted in a fountain of stone and slag. Weaving Air Shadar gusted the remnants away from them so as not to allow harm. Pulling up another stone he turned back to Alliveer. "I will toss this stone into the air so that you will have a target. Do not be discouraged if you miss, forming the weave is more what you are after. That more than aim."

After a few tries and the weave coming easier to the man, he prepared a shield and cutting weaves. "The next weave is a bit more destructive and I do not want you to harm yourself. Go slowly and you will be fine." Moving the final stone paces away he turned back to the man. The scowl on his face fit, the man seemed to have a taste in his mouth that he did not enjoy. "Now weave." He commanded.

Guest dragonsworn1991

Alliveer thought that Arcon must have at least talked to this man about how much they went over in their previous class, this man must be pushing his buttons. Well, Alliveer could not complain exactly, because he was doing the same with this man. He thought he could trust him, but he didn't want to take a gamble he did not need to, not yet at least. The only detail Alliveer wanted Arcon to keep hidden about their class was the incident with his arm. Arcon was not able to heal it fully and it burned at random times. It was a burden, but Alliveer did not want people to think he was seeking sympathy or that he was weak, both of those would be disastrous to his plans.

"You will seize and release on command, and weave as I tell you. No more, no less. If you do not, you will be punished. Disobedience is painfully discouraged here." This man thought threats could work, they were counter productive, and besides that just added a notch against this man in Alliveer's mind. Yet how much he would teach him would truly determine weather Alliveer wanted him as a close friend. Alliveer did as he was told although very bitterly.

Shad showed him a weave, a weave of fire, a. The man had the nerve to order him to weave but he did what he was told. O how that burned. Alliveer would need to rinse his mouth out very assiduously. Alliveer pulled on the element of fire first for it was the easiest for Alliveer to use and then he pulled on air. The weave just did not want to form, he tried and he tried, and then finally the fire formed. He did not include the hand motion, it seemed to be an extravagance and Alliveer disdained over showiness. Shad wanted Alliveer to try and hit the stone. He focused on the floating fireball and turned his attention to the stone. He threw it with his mind, yet it soared far to the left. Alliveer formed the weave again, this time more easier, yet again he missed the stone. After a few more tries Alliveer connected with the stone and then he waited for Shad to show him the next weave.

The next weave, Riven earth, it was called and it appealed greatly to Alliveer. When he saw the consequences it caused Alliveer was ready to try it. He let the threads of fire and air dissipate and he once again pulled on fire, and added earth to the mix this time. Both of the threads came easy to him, as he mimicked his instructor.  Like with the fireball the first attempt at this weave produced nothing, but the second sent the ground in front of Alliveer into the sky, making a fountain of debris, rock, and soot. "Shadar I am ready for what you will show me next." Alliveer said, and the cold icy tone had nothing to do with the void.

Shadar watched Alliveer with a knot of satisfaction growing in the back of his head and smiled a little in the shadows of his cowl. This one was strong. He seemed a fair match for himself at that stage if not quite so quick to take to the weaves. Yes, he would give Arcon a valuable tool indeed. There were two tasks yet to be completed however. These would show the true test of how effective a tool this man would be.

"Good." he said when the man had completed the weaves and voiced his readiness. His icy tone almost made him chuckle as his thoughts drifted to the Half-Breed. Now that, was one to give ice shivers he grudgingly admitted. This one did not know the true meaning of ice. Shadar found himself somewhat liking this Alliveer. His obedience was quick if not slightly arrogant. Despite his personal feelings he knew who was in charge and would obey. He would go far in the service of the Great Lord on that alone.

"Next I will teach you to tie off a flow. This is just as it sounds, you will actually be tying the weaves of your flows to hold them together. You must be careful what flows you tie of as, flows like Fire can be destructive if left over time." Shadar realized he was falling into the same reason that Arcon had with him. Teach, demonstrate, allow him to try. Drain. Rinse. Repeat.

Holding his hand out in front of him he wove a trickle of Fire and Air. Twisting and folding them in onto themselves he completed the weave and a globe of pale light hovered above his palm. Taking the ends he tied them in a knot and checked them to make sure they would hold. Only then did he remove his hand. The globe of light floated in the air between them and softly penetrated the darkness of his hood briefly. Untying the weaves he let it dissipate.

"Now it is your turn, go slowly as tying it off is difficult for someone with your skill and can cause the weave to fall apart if not done correctly." He did not mean the comment about skill as a slight, and hoped the man would take it for the instruction that it was.

Guest dragonsworn1991

Alliveer sat and listened to Shadar's instructions. This lesson was turning out to be interesting in more ways than one. Of course for the obvious reason of learning control and mastery of his ability, but also this lesson showed Alliveer that he kind of liked this man. He seemed to compliment him well, Alliveer himself  preferred to wield power behind the scenes, this man wore it like a coat, all be it a loose fitting coat, but he still knew his power, and he wasn't one to be on the wrong side of.

"Now it is your turn, go slowly as tying it off is difficult for someone with your skill and can cause the weave to fall apart if not done correctly." Either this man was trying to goad him to success or he was saying that, Alliveer did not know his own strength and might over do it. The pain in his arm throbed at that moment, and he decided to go with the later.

Alliveer formed the weave delicately, and he copied the weaving. The ball of light formed in mid air. The thing was difficult to tie, Alliveer, fumbled with it at first. Then it finally tied the ends of the thread in place. Alliveer was satisfied with himself, that he picked this up rather quickly. "Shadar, I am ready to move on when you are." Alliveer felt more open to this man and he let it show in his voice.

OOC: Sorry for the wait, Sereth was going to step in and so i was giving him time to post, but it seems like a certain girl is monopolizing most of his time  :D

IC:Shadar noted that the man did not have to fumble too much before tying off the weave.

"Shadar, I am ready to move on when you are."

"Good, you did well with tying off the weave, remember to be careful with what flows you tie off and which you maintain." With that last cautionary statement he filled himself with Saidin in preparation for the final step. "So far you have learned weaves that will be extremely useful, even deadly against non channeling foes." Shadar paused a moment to let the thought of fighting another channeler sink in. "Now I will teach you how to cut the flows of others."

Shadar wove Spirit, Air and Earth and demonstrated the weave. It was a simple weave, but cutting another's flows with accuracy was not. Instructing Alliveer to weave a Fireball he sliced it before it could fully form. The sliced weaves snapped back into the man and made him grunt.

"There is always a recoil when your weaves are cut. Do not let it be a distraction as any such distraction could mean your death when fighting with a channeling opponent." Now that he had felt the recoil he could learn to be ready for it next time, and not allow for that moment of distraction. "Now I will construct simple shields of Air and I want you to practice cutting them."

Shadar promptly did as he said and wove Air int a shield between them and braced for the recoil.  Even though the weave used 3 elements, Alliveer was able to easily weave it. Slicing his own weave was another matter. Shadar had put this man on a level with himself at that stage and assumed they would be fairly close in power and skill. He remembered how hard such precise task with the power were and still could be given the weave. Strength would be no foe to Alliveer and himself, but the Great Lord had not gifted them with much Skill. Arcon had compared him fondly to a cow in a Seafolk Porcelain shop. After the slicing of weaves Shadar ran the man through some final exercises on merely seizing Saidin. At this stage it was chance at best for the man and he needed the practice. They all did at that stage. Over time he could see the man was wearing out.

"That will be enough for today's lesson." He said finally. "You have done well for an initiate, I am sure Arcon will be pleased." He assumed the man had a liking for Arcon and gave him the praise in honesty. "Before we adjourn do you have any questions for me?"

OOC: I figure we can end with your post, if you feel like taking it further just post ooc and explain where you would like it to go.  ;)

Guest dragonsworn1991

Alliveer felt a small chill run up his spine at thought of fighting another channeler. Sure a non channeler would be easy to cut down when he could wield and manipulate saidin to his will. Yet fighting someone who could do the same seemed like a daunting task at this point.

Shadar instructed him to form a fireball and he did, before he knew what was happening, the weave was cut and it seemed to come back into Alliveer. It startled him greatly but he would never let this man know it had truly phased him. He let a grunt slip to his dismay, yet he counted it as nothing.

Alliveer made a note of the weave Shadar had constructed to cut his flows. It was a twist of spirit, air, and earth. Shadar instructed him that he would be cutting a shield of air that Shadar wove. Alliveer imagined and formed the the threads into a weave shaped like a razor. The weave was created easily enough, yet Alliveer just could not maneuver the weave to cut the other flows. It was a very arduous task. Alliveer finally managed to cut the shield and he looked into Shadar's eyes and awaited where he would take this lesson.

The lesson started to wind down, Alliveer practiced seizing the source. It began to become almost second nature but it was very wearing. Finally Shadar said, "You have done well for an initiate, I am sure Arcon will be pleased." Normally Alliveer would curse, mentally of course, at receiving demeaning praise, yet he felt it was honest praise, and this man could be of some use, and importance in the future, Alliveer would hate to sour their relationship.

"No Adept Shadar, I have learned much, and I look forward to seeing you in the future and learning many things from you."

ooc: Thanx, I liked the class, I am looking forward to rping with you in the future. If you are considering an rp or something let me know!