DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gangstas in Randland

Builder

Well it's interesting to note that there was like minimal crime before the Bore was opened. And then slowly the DO influenced people into envy, greed, lust, wrath, gluttony, pride, etc.

But I have to agree with RAW that criminals do it mainly the same way we do in RL. Breaking and entering, stabbing, bow staffs, arrows. Of course then you have your exotic criminals like Slayer who can travel through T'A'R to kill people. And then you have your duel-souled sociopaths like Padan Fain who drive  stakes through Fades eyeless eyes. Plus you've got your insane Asha'man who are driven mad by the taint and then can use their powers to kill people.

So you've got some differences, but mainly people are people. In this world or in Randland, criminals do what they want, however they can.

What I meant was the influence of the DO. What does the influence of the DO do, and how does it do it?

I see the DO or the Forsaken instructing Darkfriends to do all sorts of murders, mutilations etc. As was hinted by Malkiri jewel merchant in KOD. I would presume that the instructions are given by the Forsaken in dreams to ranking darkfriends who then instruct those below them to do the acts. It would be part of the DO's instruction to the Choosen to "Let Chaos Rule." As this would increase that the societies in Randland would disintegrate thus making orgainized efforts to fight the DO all that much more difficult.

Hallow I've already read the books once and I am on my first re'read. I'm asking this here because I didn't understand it in the first place.

I think they do as CUBAREY said, but not like petty theft or murder. I think they give orders to high ranking DF's and then they give those orders further on down the chain so they could infiltrate organizations and other groups to do damage.

I think criminals, DF or not do those normal criminal activities just for their own good.

My big mystery is how the DO can spread all those emotions that Kadere mentioned. Doesn't those feelings already exist in humans?

Wow, that's so sad. So they not only have to worry about normal criminals, but also DF criminals and additional criminals because of the enhancement?

That would be a nightmare for any police force!

Not only for the police but the whole society. And that would be the point.

It's not so different from the real world, actually. Cultists have always existed and they do carry out murders and other crimes. Think of it as the devil tempting man, it's the same idea. Promise all sorts of things and there's always a sucker out there who will listen.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Well it's interesting to note that there was like minimal crime before the Bore was opened. And then slowly the DO influenced people into envy, greed, lust, wrath, gluttony, pride, etc.

But could that just be put down to the lack of enforcement following the breakdown of society?

Pre-Bore the world was ordered and policed using sophisticated means ... that all ended abruptly.

I'm thinking about, for example, the looting after Katrina. People did it because they could.

It's not so different from the real world, actually. Cultists have always existed and they do carry out murders and other crimes. Think of it as the devil tempting man, it's the same idea. Promise all sorts of things and there's always a sucker out there who will listen.

Yes but this devil has direct influence in the world, albeit a weak influence, but still an influence.

Archived