DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

stop someone from dying

Crusher

k ive been wonderin about this for a while u know when the dark hounds come in and start attkin rand in tFoH then the hounds bite matt (dark hound saliva makes u die) but then rand cats balefire on the hounds so they die and since balefire like burns the thread of the thing who dies from it matt lives (as explained by moiriane)

what im thinkin if rand saw someone dyin then he could cast balefire on the thing tht killed them and then theyd be alive again

does any of this make sence to u guys???

Rand, or any one strong enough in the one power, to weave balefire could do this.

******** SPOILER- If you have not read tFoH********

Rand has done this when traps set by Rahvin killed many of his friends. He then balefires Rahvin enough that his thread burned back so he had never wove the traps and his friends came back to life.

********SPOILER FINISHED************

It is 2 things however that stop people from doing this. 1) The amount of balefire needed. The stronger the balefire the further back the persons thread is burned. Therefore if someone died years ago i dont think it would be possible to burn there thread that far back. 2) The consequences. Burning someones thread means anything they have done has not happpened. This effects countless people in countless ways, de-stabilising reality and can lead to the destruction of the pattern. This is why people dont do it. The Dark One himslef banned the Forsken from using it in the War of Power.

Guest cwestervelt

I don't believe there is anything that indicates the ban came from the Dark One. It was simply a realization of what was happenning and the fact that the Forsaken wanted to have a world left over to rule. Immortality would get rather boring if there wasn't anywhere left for them to play.

Thats how I always saw it too. TDO doesnt really care if he takes over a "whole" world he just wants to take over. Also as we have seen the forsaken will use balefire when it is in there best interest to use it. At least Rhavin had no problems using it, and Moridin has used it also. I think the ban on balefire buy both sides is not as heavy as it was in the AoL. This could e because through most of the books only a select group of people have shown that they know the weaves. Of course the Forsaken know it, bu tI think the majority of the Aesedai do not, or are not strong enough. Rand seems to use it during his fights with the forsaken alot, but as of the addition of Cadsuane this has tapered off. I dont think we will see much more of it in the future.

Archived