DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Birth Control? (attn: TGs with a new identity) ;)

Christine

Looking around, Deneira slipped into the infirmary. She hid behind a door, watching the Aes Sedai work. She didn’t know what she would say or what she would. How could she have been so foolish for so long? She had gotten lucky so far, but she didn’t want to risk it anymore. She even felt bad for shrugging off Shawn after breakfast. They had been in line, getting breakfast, and Shawn had forgotten something for his mentee, He had run back to the room, leaving her with the trays, and she sat down at their usual table. She heard a voice behind her, talking of the Aes Sedai, and Deneira was about to tune them out when she heard a startling word. Pregnant. She kept her ears open and listened to the conversation, cursing herself for this.

Some Aes Sedai was pregnant. She was not married, but she had a warder... and it was her warder's best friend's baby. Not good, and very scandalous. Deneira wasn’t certain if the story was true or not, but the fact was, she had never thought about pregnancy. She could be pregnant, or not even know it. And she didn’t want to stop being a Guard, and she was positive that Shawn didn't want a child, especially with her. So, of course, she had to change something. Shawn had shown up and tried to kiss her as she walked off to "training", and she told him she was in a hurry. The look on his face hurt her, but she couldn’t make a mistake between the two of them.

And so here she was, waiting until she got a moment to talk to two of them. She slipped into the room and walked to a closet door. The Aes Sedai were all in their own ways, but two happened to notice her. They walked up to her, and Deneira looked away. "Can we help you?" asked one of them. Deneira nodded her head slowly. They stood there for a moment, and the other one crossed her arms, asking, "Well, what is it?" Deneira breathed in deeply, and looked up at them both. "I need..."

She took another breath, and said, "Herbal remedies. For smaller wounds. Like, poison of some sort, or broken bones, illness, and small injuries from weapons." Deneira ended it with a quick smile. The Aes Sedai looked at each other, and Deneira felt her face get red. Light, how hard was it to say she needed something to prevent pregnancy? She was certain that they got those situations all the time- Deneira couldn’t be the only woman in the Warders Yard and the White Tower that was having sex!

"Since I can't channel and all, I want to be prepared, just in case. And so, I figured you ladies would be able to help me out best, as you do know all the tricks of the trade." Deneira's tongue burned from her words. She had never before lied to an Aes Sedai, and rarely lied to anyone else, unless she had a very good reason. Light, what was she getting herself into?

While scrubbing her hands meticulously, Fayth Do’vin looked at her face in the mirror opposite to the wash basin. It showed her the same as always, of course. An Ageless face, straight dark hair that reached just below her ears, dark eyes with just the smallest hint of sadness in them. Years ago she had wondered if that hint would ever fade away, but by now the little lines were like close friends to her. A part of who she was just like her weakness with the one power and the darkness of her hair. With a determined nod she dried her hands on a piece of cloth and straightened her off the shoulder blouse. Some members of some Ajahs believed in wearing only the colours of their Ajah, but Fayth had discovered very early on that yellow was very susceptible to dirt. The dark red blouse she was wearing over a plain, dark brown skirt was much less likely to get stained.

Another glance in the mirror, beyond herself this time, told her that Nicola had finished cleaning up after the trainee they had just treated. The wound hadn’t been serious, but head wounds always had the tendency to bleed a great deal. She smiled at the other Aes Sedai through the mirror. It was a good thing that Nicola was there, and not Miranda. The other Aes Sedai made her uneasy, never mind that she was over three hands shorter than Fayth herself. There was just something… wrong about her. Not that Fayth would ever mention such a thing of course. No, politics were for other people. She just did her job the best she could, with a little help from a small angreal to channel more than she usually could.

She had just turned, intending to walk over to Nicola when she noticed a young woman standing by the door, looking nervous. If she was not mistaken, this one was a freshly promoted Tower Guard. She didn’t look particularly injured though. Fayth wondered why she was there. Nicola did the same, and the slightly more assertive Aes Sedai immediately asked if there was something they could do for the woman. Deneira, that was her name. Deneira shifted on her feet and refused to look at both of them as she asked about having some herbs for healing. “Don’t be so nervous, my dear, of course we’ll help you.†She took hold of Deneira’s arm, and guided her over to one of the beds. “Now have a seat, and tell me exactly what kind of healing you expect to do with these herbs.â€

The second one that had spoken... the impatient one, she guess, stepped up and took her arm. “Don’t me so nervous, my dear, of course we’ll help you.†Deneira nodded her head and was brought to a bed. “Now have a seat, and tell me exactly what kind of healing you expect to do with these herbs.†Deneira smiled and took a seat on the bed, wrapping her arms over her chest. The one that had taken her to the bed pulled up a chair, sitting in front of her, and the other one that had first spoken stood behind her, arms crossed, watching what was going on. “Well... my name is Deneira l’Spada, and I am a Tower Guard.†Both nodded, and the one in the chair spoke. â€My name is Fayth Sedai, and this is Nicola Sedai.†Deneira nodded her head to both of them, then started thinking.

“Well, you see... as a Tower Guard, and happy as such, I really don’t want to bond.†She saw a look on their faces that she didnt like. “Oh, don’t get me wrong, Aes Sedai are nice and all, but I enjoy what I do in Guard duty and teaching. So, obviously, I wouldn’t have the benefit of Healing from an Aes Sedai. I want to be able to take care of myself if something happens. Even more, what about if I go on vacation or something, and someone I am with gets hurt? I can’t let-“ she almost said Shawn, but changed it quickly-“ someone die because I am unable to Heal them. That is why I am here!â€

They both nodded, and she smiled at them. Nicola Sedai leaned down and whispered into Fayth Sedai’s ear, and then nodded, walking off to get some things, then returned with a basket of different things and another box that was full. Looking away, she felt eyes on here. â€What is it?†Fayth asked her. Deneira shook her head, smiling. “It is nothing. There is just this guy that I am sort of with, and I just wouldnt want anything to happen to him. That is why I want to learn about these things. I couldnt let him get hurt because of my lack of knowledge.â€

The girl's reticence was beginning to exasperate Nicola, she didn't like her time being wasted, but Fayth was already guiding her to a bed to take a seat. Rolling down the sleeves of her light yellow dress as she followed, she couldn't help but wonder what this was all about. It couldn't just be about healing herbs surely, the woman was terribly nervous. Some would even say skittish. Certainly, the way she folded her arms suggested something in particular was bothering her.

Choosing to stand while Fayth took a seat, Nicola kept her silence while the other Yellow sister introduced them. Deneira l'Spada was a name she had heard before, though from whom and for what she couldn't be sure. Not that that thought lasted long as the woman said she didn't want to bond. Raising an eyebrow half in amusement, the girl rushed on quickly to explain herself. The rushing was what made her slip up more obvious, so it was about someone else. What though? There were plenty of things that could be wrong with someone. Perhaps something embaressing, which would explain the girl's attitude. Perhaps one of those cases where 'a friend of mine could have problems' turning out to be the person doing the talking in the first place.

Nodding understandingly at Deneira, Nicola leaned into Fayth's ear and whispered "I think she's after Heartleaf. I'll grab a basket though with some other things just in case." Getting a nod from Fayth, Nicola made her way from the infirmary to the apothecary. Taking one of the empty baskets, she proceeded to fill it with a few different items ranging from Heartleaf to Healall. It was as she was leaving that she noticed a box sitting by the door.

Setting the basket down, Nicola had a quick peek in the box and grinned to herself. Sitting the basket on the box, she lifted the box and carried it back to where the other two were. Placing them both on the bed next to Deneira, she turned to Fayth so her back was turned to the Tower Guard and winked. It only took Fayth a second to understand what she was implying.

Standing next to Fayth, Nicola smiled at the girl as she spoke. "So, Deneira, what would you like to start with?"

Nicola Selvern

Yellow Ajah

Fayth nodded, and Nicola walked up, turning to Fayth, and blocked them. Deneira looked away for a moment, then looked back as she set the basket and box down. The basket was full of herbs and bandages, which she was certain would all come in handy. She wondered if the herb she needed was one of those. Nicola smiled at her, and Deneira had shivers down her back. What was wrong with that woman… she didn’t like it. â€So, Deneira, what would you like to start with?â€

Deneira looked at the basket, then asked, “How do you reset a bone?†The lesson began, and she asked about everything from how to deal with a bee sting to what was the best way to slow bleeding in a large wound. The sisters helped and answered everything they could, and she had been told so many different names and seen so many different herbs, she was growing confused. How could all of these herbs make a difference? And how did the sisters remember it all? Perhaps being an Aes Sedai was harder than she had thought.

The sisters answered all of her questions, and now Deneira had to ask for the thing she came for. “I was wondering about… female problems.†Deneira said. â€Oh?†asked Fayth. â€Continue, child.†Deneira nodded. “Well… what about cramps and such? And is there anything for that time of the month? Since I am a guard, I have to be able to move, whether or not I am cramping. Is there anything for that?†They put together a few herbs, explaining how they would decrease any pains, and then offered to make her some tea from it then. She nodded, and Nicola walked off to brew the tea.

Fayth and Deneira were left sitting, and Deneira swallowed, ready to ask the truth. “And how do I keep from getting pregnant?†she whispered.

A glance at the door told her there weren’t any patients waiting to be treated there. Good, that means they had more time to talk to this young Tower Guard. Fayth had always been interested in conventional healing, because she didn’t have much strength in the one power to begin with. Fortunately her skills as a healer had granted her the use of an angreal at the infirmary at all times. Without it she’d be about as useless at healing as the nearest Accepted. She smiled at Nicola as the other woman placed several pouches and boxes next to Deneira, giving Fayth an almost mischievous smile when she put down the final box. No doubt it contained something vile. Nicola had quite the sense of humour about her, and she chose not to hide it from anyone. Not among her own sisters, at least.

Then the lesson began. Fayth and Nicola took turns answering all the questions Deneira could come up with. The girl kept glancing around though, and blushing every now and then. What was she really after? Fayth was patient though. Eventually everyone came forth with the truth. The atmosphere of the infirmary seemed to demand that of it’s patients. And there it was. With more blushing and stuttering than she had done before, and without Nicola present at that moment, she asked Fayth if there was something that could keep a woman from getting pregnant. Fayth smiled at that. she should have known. A good looking young woman, freshly promoted to the Tower Guard, and no doubt enjoying all the liberties that came with her new job. Not to mention the fact that the current leaders of the Tower Guard had no problems with letting men and women share rooms. She had known commanders that would frown upon that. She rather liked it this way thought. These men and women were sensible enough to know where their limits were, and as Deneira proved, they were obviously also sensible enough to come to the infirmary for advice on what precautions they could take.

Now there was a herb that worked quite well. One merely needed to take it before one flitted her eyelashes at the partner of her choice. Fayth could of course tell Deneira exactly what that herb was, without further dawdling. A glance at where Nicola had gone told her that her sister would love to be of advice in this situation. Fayth folded her hands on her lap and smiled at Deneira. “Why, of course there are things to keep a woman from getting pregnant. I thought they were commonly known though.†She smiled at Nicola as the other Yellow sister returned with the soothing tea. “Nicola, Deneira wishes to know if there are ways for her not to get pregnant. Would you care to enlighten some things for her?â€

Returning with the tea, Nicola managed to suppress the urge to roll her eyes. Sure enough, she was right about what Deneira wanted. The Tower Guard was hardly the first woman to come and ask them about such things. She didn't like the fact they'd had to go through that entire rigmarole to get to the real issue on the otherhand. Even though she knew that it was always a good idea to help patients be comfortable and come forward when they were ready, all of that time wasted.

"Oh really?" Looking from Fayth to Deneira, Nicola smiled mischievously, now she could have some fun. "As I'm sure you're aware, having sex makes you pregnant, therefore not having sex is the best way not to get pregnant." Laughing at the look on Deneira's face, Nicola continued. "Of course, if you absolutely positively without any reservations must have sex, there are a few things that you can do. I think the easiest for you may prove to be herbal though, as long as you remember to use it. Now it should be in that box somewhere, thought we'd need it."

Walking to the box, she opened it up and rooted about it for a moment until she found what she was after. Lifting the jar out, she was sure to give only a quick glance of a light blue fluid before walking away, speaking to Fayth as she went. "Be sure to tell Deneira about the starflower extract while I do this." Sure that Fayth would know what to do, she was soon making a new brew. They would have Deneira fixed up soon enough.

Nicola Selvern

Yellow Ajah

“Ah, yes, Starflower. Now that is truly a remarkable herb.†Fayth settled back in her chair, prepared to tell the story of starflower. “Many centuries ago, some say no more than a hundred years after the War of the Hundred Years, an Aes Sedai travelled to the Mountains of Mist, in search of herbs that could cure things no healer at that time could.†She paused for a moment, thinking fondly of the tales of Yellow sisters travelling the lands in those early years. Such adventure… but that wasn’t the point here. They had to see to Deneira’s education.

“This Aes Sedai followed rumour to a small town in those mountains, where women didn’t get pregnant even half as often as they did in other villages. Now it was known that many Wisdoms at that time had some herb or ritual that was supposed to help women prevent pregnancy, but a clear means had not been discovered yet. Naturally, the Aes Sedai in question was curious. She talked to the wisdom for hours, and she finally found out that the good woman had the women of her village drink a tea, before the consummation of their passions.†Nicola came back to them at that point, with the Starflower tea. “It was that tea.†She watched Nicola hand the tea to Deneira, who eyed it suspiciously.

Fayth in turn watched with open curiosity as Deneira brought the cup to her face, turning pale at the horrible smell. “Yes dear, we know it smells quite bad, but we assure you, it works quite well against pregnancies.†Nicola chimed in as well. “Do you want a little timmy hanging off your tit? Well drink.†Fayth had some trouble keeping a straight face at that point. Nicola made a wonderful show of being impatient there. Deneire glanced at both of them, before taking a sip of the tea. She turned even paler, looking about ready to retch. “All of it, dear.†Fayth said, feeling quite cruel. Faced with two Aes Sedai and a possible pregnancy, Deneira emptied the cup, looking as if she’d never felt quite as sick.

Fayth took the cup from her, and picked up a little pouch filled with Heartleaf. “Of course, the Aes Sedai then found out that the only reason the women didn’t get pregnant was because they never really felt like joining their husbands after drinking the tea. The Aes Sedai travelled on, and found a herb that actually worked the way it should. As you can imagine, the men in that mountain village were quite pleased with that discovery.†She handed the pouch with heartleaf to Deneira. “Make a tea out of it, and take it before sex. That’s all there is to it.†She smiled at Deneira. “and don’t even think about complaining, deary. If you’d been straightforward with your request, we would not have lead you by the nose.â€