DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Jaimelai

Terry Pratchett's DISCWORLD

It seems like the Discworld's influence is spreading. :D  I just found this story on the BBC website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7984118.stm

It seems that a new housing development in Wincanton (which is in Somerset, England), is going to have a couple of streets named after famous streets in Ankh-Morpork.  I was quite surprised to find that Wincanton has apparently been twinned with the city of Ankh-Morpork itself. :)

I have been reading  Small Gods it has been a really fun read so far. It keeps me laughing that is for sure I love how the Turtle gets all worked up and tries to curse people. Also soon after I started reading this book I noticed that I had bought my daughter a book by Terry called  Wheres my Cow. It is a fun read for me to read to my daughter.

Oddly enough, I've just come across Where's my Cow as a book within a book, in Thud!. :)

And I love charity shops.  I've just found three books for under £5 - in this case, Soul Music, Jingo, and Feet of Clay.  I'd previously only read them from the library before, so it's nice to have my own copies. :)

Work on his latest book "Unseen Academicals" is apparently almost finished and then he'll begin on another called "I shall wear Midnight" which is another Tiffany Aching novel - aimed at younger readers. :)

Cool!  I just finished "Maskerade".  It was even better than I expected, with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg starring in a "Phantom of the Opera" type murder mystery.  Very funny!  :D

Maskerade.jpg

Work on his latest book "Unseen Academicals" is apparently almost finished and then he'll begin on another called "I shall wear Midnight" which is another Tiffany Aching novel - aimed at younger readers. :)

This is great news!  I can't wait until it's released. :)

And another Tiffany Aching novel?  I've yet to read them all, but from the one I've read (Wintersmith) I think it'll be a good one.

Thanks for the update, Kara! :)

My pleasure  ;D

Pratchett is something of an addiction for me :P  You may or may not have noticed that ;)

I'm also addicted to Dick Francis, Gerald Durrell and Agatha Christie :P hehe - When I use the term addicted I mean that I own - or nearly own every book by those authors and can usually quote chapter and verse  :-[

Maskerade is a very funny book hehe!

I have been. :)  To me, it didn't really matter that I hadn't been reading them in the right order (I didn't read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic until I'd read quite a few others).  I think that's another thing I like about the series. :)

You don't have to read the books in order - Though I like to read all the Witch and City Watch books in order. Pratchett generally explains things at the start if there's anything you need to know. :)

Sounds a bit like the L.E. Modessitt, Saga of Recluce series.  Each book jumps back or forward in time in his world.  If the first one was now, the second might be 50 years ago, then the next 200 years ago, then 70 years ago, etc, etc.  I thought about rereading them in chronological order, but then I realized there are aspects of the early books that would be different if a later volume was read prior. 

(Kinda like how I will never watch Star Wars I,II,III,IV,V,VI.  It must always be watched IV, V, VI, I, II, III)  ;)

Now that you mention the Recluce saga, that does sound right (although I've only read a couple).  And I'm glad I'm not the only one who watches the Star Wars films in that order!

But yes, the City Watch books are excellent - definitely my favourites.  I try to read them in order, but there have been times when I've read a particular favourite first. ;)

Edited to add - I love the quote in your sig, Kara! :D

Speaking of The Watch, I just started "Feet of Clay".  Seems like they may be involved in this one too!  ;D

Feet-of-clay-2.jpg

Well, I finished "Feet of Clay" - very funny murder mystery.  I couldn't solve it ahead of time, but I'm glad they got it all sorted out in the end!

Next on my list is "Hogfather".  I can't wait to get into this one as I have heard a lot of good things about it.  I think it has Death starring in the title role, but we'll see!

Hogfather-2.jpg

It's superb Jaime. I totally love Death.

How on earth did I miss this thread?? Kara you should have told me!! If you hadn't guessed, I'm a huge fan too. I started them in order simply because I began them so long ago and there wasn't much choice but to do so lol. The Luggage is great but I do have a soft spot for the City Watch too. As to favourites, so hard to choose, but Moving Pictures (partly because Terry autographed it for me when I met him in Dundee  ;D ) and The Wee Free Men (well I am a Scot, what do you expect?  :P ) would be top of my list.

I thought the TV adaptation stood up remarkably well for Hogfather but I still prefer the books.

Wow, you got to meet Terry Pratchett and got his autograph - totally cool!

I haven't seen the TV adaptations, but I really enjoy the audiobooks.

I have been posting the British covers because they so much better than the American editions.

It's superb Jaime. I totally love Death.

How on earth did I miss this thread?? Kara you should have told me!! If you hadn't guessed, I'm a huge fan too. I started them in order simply because I began them so long ago and there wasn't much choice but to do so lol. The Luggage is great but I do have a soft spot for the City Watch too. As to favourites, so hard to choose, but Moving Pictures (partly because Terry autographed it for me when I met him in Dundee  ;D ) and The Wee Free Men (well I am a Scot, what do you expect?  :P ) would be top of my list.

I thought the TV adaptation stood up remarkably well for Hogfather but I still prefer the books.

:-[ *shuffles feet* erm... sorry :P

oh and *turns green with envy* I have got a signed copy of one of his books but I've yet to meet him in person. Unfortunately signings and such maybe becoming a thing of the past due to his Alzheimers. He's already had to stop personalising the signings (ie. To such and such, witty comment, Terry Pratchett) :(