DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Jaimelai

Terry Pratchett's DISCWORLD

Elgee - Sorry, I missed your post. No, Dodger is set in early Victorian England and is in tribute to Charles Dickens as well as a few others of that time.

cindy - thanks for the link - sorry to hear that his health is going so quickly :-(

alzheimers is.... bad.

but... there is no good way to die.

except quickly and without forethought i guess.

Edited by cindy

That sucks. I just finished Unseen Academicals, and I must say that it is the most interesting opinion on football I have ever heard.

it's really sad how he writes about it in some of the more recent books. it's a terrible thing feeling you mind being torn away knowing whats happening and helpless to stop it.

god bless him.

I've been reading the Discworld novels as part of my goal to read 100 books this year, with 75% being new books. Prior to this year, the only Discworld I'd read was "Hogfather" because I'd seen the film and loved it.

I'm reading in publication order and just finished Hat Full of Sky.

Wow. this is an amazingly funny series.

Of course, I can't really LOL even when I'm at home alone because my hubby keeps asking "What?" and then he expects me to explain it and of course, no longer funny if I have to explain it.

Favorite books thus far:

Night Watch (The "old Sergeant Keel" sounds a lot like Carrot in Guards Guards Guards which makes me think that Carrot's influence stretches beyond those he met in person)

Hogfather. Awesome.

Monstrous Regiment and Equal Rites both for the "woman in a man's role" aspect.

One thing I'm curious about.... Rincewind.

He has little "wizard" magic skill, but does have considerable skill with languages.

His skills and reputation as a wizard (note spelling- i left the second z off on purpose) seem to be mostly because he dresses and identifies as a wizzard and people like Twoflower spread the tale of him being a Great Wizzard. A lot of the "magic" we actually see Rincewind do is very similar to Granny Weatherwax's "headology."

And, as previously mentioned, he's excellent at languages (like Nanny Ogg seems to think she is).

Could it be that a Wizzard is really a Witch in a Wizard's body, much like Eskarina in Equal Rites is a wizard and a witch?

Although Rincewind would probably never admit it to himself.

I really like Mort. And the one about his daughter....Soul Rites I think.

The reason Rincewind is a wizzard is because he's the eighth son of an eighth son. I personally love the fact that when he dies, the average supernatural ability of mankind will increase.

Listening to Good Omens right now after watching it on TV.

Goodomenscover.jpg.75614c3833425fc0d940f8b4a2e269fa.jpg

Is it the cast recording? I listened to that a little while ago, same prompting. I hadn't read it since it came out. It was even better this time because the show was so good, and the actors indelibly revoiced the characters for me in a much better way. I also liked the way the show treated queen much more respectfully.

Nope, I just checked.  Narrated by Martin Jarvis, who does a pretty good job of it.  I didn't know about the BBC full cast production.  The one I got has a nice pic of the Amazon movie production.

Cover art

Hmmm I wonder if I'm confusing this with American gods... but the voice work is so good it sounds like different people. I may need a relisten.

Yes, he really does sound like different characters.