DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Jaimelai

Terry Pratchett's DISCWORLD

Does anyone have any info on the new discworld novels?

Id heard that Terry Pratchett was writing another Sam Vimes story (Snuff) and possibly another Moist von Lipwig story at the same time (Raising taxes)

It would be great if we get 2 new stories close to each other

No, sorry, that's all I've heard, too, and that came from the Discworld newsletter on Paul Kidby's website. I'll be interested to hear more, too. The Watch are my favourite of the Discworld's denizens. :smile:

Snuff was, last I heard, almost finished. Not sure about the other one though.

Apparently Terry's new voice to type program is a much faster way of writing, once he's taught it all the discworld vocab that is, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he's already working on the next one.

The Discworld Convention (UK) was absolutely AWESOME btw ;)

Snuff is almost finished? That's great news! I've (albeit rather selfishly) been waiting for another Watch novel for a while now. Good news about the voice to type program, too - teaching it the Discworld vocab should be interesting!

I'm glad the convention was awesome - I'd love to go, one of these days. :laugh::smile:

Haven't read Unseen Academicals for a while, but I really must go through it again. :smile:

Looking forward to Snuff. I too would like a new watch novel just have to keep our fingers crossed for that :biggrin:

ust picked up unseen academicals this morning. Roll on lunchtime to start reading it!

Well, I finished my great Wheel of Time reread (that Towers of Midnight was awsome!) and I'm back to my reading of the Discworld series. Let's see, next up is I Shall Wear Midnight, number 38 in the series. It is the fourth Tiffany Aching book, aimed at the younger audiances. Tiffany is now 15 and very busy carrying out her duties as the witch of the Chalk. But things aren't going as well as it seems - her ex-beau, Roland, is engaged to marry another, and there seems to be a hidious evil spirit traveling around poisoning people's minds against, of all things, witches! Tiffany is caught in its web and soon ends up in prison accused of murder, theft and general witchiness! How will Tiffany ever prevail? (perhaps with or rather maybe in spite of, the help of the Nac Mac Feegles?) And what does a rabbit and some flames have to do with it all?

I_Shall_Wear_Midnight.jpg

I've just got a copy of I Shall Wear Midnight, and it looks pretty good.

Also, I've read a short, yet more detailed synopsis of the new Watch book, Snuff, on Wiki and that's looking pretty good, too. :smile:

Sam Vimes is easily one of my favorite characters. Pratchett does an EXCELLENT job of mixing the humor with a near tear-inducing wave of insight, especially regarding "coppers" when he does Vimes. I think that's what draws me to him.

However, another Moist book would be aweomse, and I can't wait to see him take down the big whigs via taxes. The thing I like about the Moist books so much is we get to see a very good picture of Vetinari: easily the most terrifyingly hillarious manipulator on the disc.

Can't wait, either way.

Edited by lt.nolan0347

Just finished Snuff and I loved it! Sam Vimes and family take a vacation only to find murder, slavery and a smuggling ring!

Snuff_cover_low.jpg

THERE'S A DISCWORLD THREAD!!!!!!!

*runs around and adds some nice cushions to make permanant the activity of said thread*

One of the things that I found interesting while posting in this thread, is the different cover art used for releases in different countries. I must say, the I favor the British editions. Some of the American ones didn't even make sense.

Oooh my old favourite thread! I'm still waiting to get Snuff - eagerly anticipating that one, I must say!

Jaime, have you got examples of some of the American ones?

Listening to his new book now: "Dodger" which seems to be a twist on Dickens's "Artful Dodger". From the wiki:

"tells the story of a young lad from the streets of Victorian London who, on a grim night, leaps to the defence of a young woman who is being attacked. Once seeing off the brutes he returns to find two gentlemen looking over the girl and together they all decide to look after her and her well-being. These gentlemen turn out to be Charles Dickens and Henry Mayhew (or at least fictional versions of the historical people) who take an interest in the poor people and areas of the city and try to help."

Interesting so far.

Cover comparison

British:

the-colour-of-magic-1.jpg

US cover:

9780061020711.jpg

Really no comparison.

Edited by Jaimelai

This is an interesting thread. I always enjoy being introduced to new reading material! I'll definitely look into this series the next time I go to the book store! :D

And I'm always a bit confused as to why publishers have multiple covers for a book or series. It seems like they should just find the best cover and run with it instead of printing multiple covers...

Discworld is hilarious. I've gotten the first five books read, and I'll likely be reading some more once I'm done with my first WoT read.

Edited by Basel Gill

Just finished "Dodger" and it was great! Anyone that loves "Discworld" will certainly enjoy this book. And it is somewhat historical which fits nicely into our group's themes. Maybe I should make it next month's reading assignment. :smile: There is a nice bit at the end too, where Terry Pratchett explains his thoughts behind some of the characters which I found quite interesting as well.

Terry_Pratchett_Dodger_cover.jpg