DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Worst Case Scenario

chemteach1977

What do you think are some of the WORST possible surprises we may get in aMoL?  Try to focus on at least somewhat plausible plot twists or revelations.

I'll give a couple examples.

Finding out Asmodean was killed by a grey man...  Not likely, but would be just terrible.

Finding out that Taim is Be'lal.  I just can't take another returning forsaken.

I'm sure you have some other potential plots or explanations that you are dreading.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Rand will die.  That would be like killing off Harry Potter in book seven.  I just think that just Lews Therin will die and Rand will live.

Or he will die and the three women with his body on the boat that Min saw are Moiraine, Nynaeve, and Egwene.  I don't think they're Rand's chicks.

Both plausible and "worst case scenario"? That's not an easy question. Lots of stuff would be plausible, but I don't know what would be worst. The dark one can't win, because RJ planned Mat & Tuon stories that took place after the last battle. So, until I come up with something even worse, I would go with too many unresolved questions and cliffhangers as being the worst case scenario. At least most of the more important ones should be answered and put to rest after the end of this series. The occasional smaller matters/questions could be left unanswered. Other than those, I would want lots of answers.

I think a 'worst case scenario' in terms of the characters would be the Last Battle ends with all channeling being blocked completely to all men and women.  The only thing that gives me a hint of this happening is because Mat is really close to inventing firearms and Jordan talked about doing sequels with Mat and Tuon.  Tuon hasn't touched the source really yet, so wouldn't be floored by this.  The firearms would provide an interesting plot I'm sure.

Finding out that Taim is anything but Taim will kill me, hes my favorite character 100%.

If Verin turned out to be Black Ajah or if it turns out that she has been Compelled by a Chosen, it will disappoint me. She's too good a character to have as one thats been manipulated in my opinion, and since her thing as a Wilder was Compulsion I would be abit upset if she cant counter Compulsion herself. Even if she isnt high up on the power level list I really like the idea that Verin is resourceful enough to be able to counter the Chosen in some ways and if it turned out that she had been used as a tool by the Shadow it would take abit away from her in my opinion.

I'd also be gutted if it turned out that Semirhages explanation of Lews Therin turned out to be a lie. I am sick of people not believing her just because she is Chosen, and I also hate the idea of a proper explanation about something so good and significant would be put in so late in the series, and then it turns out to be a lie? The explanation Semirhage gives, the idea of Rands madness creating  connection to his past life, is brilliant, and if it turned out Rand only heard the voice because hes the saviour and whatnot, it would be crap.

My last one is more something I dont want to happen. If Semirhage escapes I will put the book down and not pick it up for a long time. If Elayne and Nynaeve can keep Moghedien captive for that long AND keep her secret in front of hundreds of Aes Sedai, Rand, the Ashaman and Rands Aes Sedai had better be able to keep hold of Semirhage. Semirhage had better be dealt with properly by Rands followers, if they fail to make use of her in some way I will be incredibly disappointed. The only way-the ONLY way-that wouldnt make me want to burn the book is if there was something epic that happened for her escape. Like several other Chosen WORKING TOGETHER to rescue her under orders of Moridin/Shaidar/the Great Lord. Or even better, if Moridin turned up to get her, and as Rand and Moridin are talking it is obvious to us it is Moridin. And then, behind Moridin, Shaidar walks silently round the corner, and even though Moridin shouldnt have heard Shaidar he still turns round to acknowledge. That'd look well good through Rands PoV! The guy he is linked to shows up with a Fade in tow, a Fade that stands at his right shoulder menacingly.

Jesus Christ I cant wait for the last book now!

If Verin turned out to be Black Ajah
She isn't.
her thing as a Wilder was Compulsion
No. She only learnt Compulsion at the Tower.

I am sick of people not believing Semi just because she is Chosen, and I also hate the idea of a proper explanation about something so good and significant would be put in so late in the series, and then it turns out to be a lie.
Hear hear!

Another thing I'd hate is if Taim turns out to not be working for the Shadow. Whether or not he is a real Darkfriend is a different thing though; if he works for the Shadow isnt a real Darkfriend it could mean they didnt mark him in any way in case on the off chance the Light found a way to detect official Darkfriends.

No. She only learnt Compulsion at the Tower.

Wrong she first learned compulsion as a girl to get her father to buy her dresses.

She pieced together compulsion based on what she could learn from several such wilders, who had come to study at the Tower; she was not one herself.

Possible spoilers within!!!!!!!!

Perrin serving The Shadow in order to save Faile.  Not only would it suck in general but having Faile get captured again would be redundent.

Mat and Thom failing to rescue Moiraine.  I remember reading a post by Brandon Sanderson where he was talking about fans, including himself, just assuming that certain things were going to happen.  He used Moiraine's rescue as a possible example.  Probalby just using it as an example but still made me nervous.

Nyneave vs Mogheiden round 3.  Its been done to death, time to let Nyn take on a new Forsaken.  Besides, Moggy and Egwene need to duke it out in TAR.

Aginor/Osan'gar comming back for a third time.  In addition to being just plain ridiculous there isn't time to develop yet another Forsaken and it makes the DO seem just a bit too soft.

Thom turning out to be a darkfriend.  Too cool a character to turn out that way.

Logain turning out to be a darkfriend.  Too cool a character to turn out that way.

Any of The Forsaken turning to The Light.  Too cheesy and unrealistic.

The Creator taking any direct action in TG.  Though I do hope we finally get to meet the Creator in AMOL.

Elaida dying.  That's right, you read it correctly.  It's not that I like her or anything I just think she needs to live out the rest of her natural life in complete disgrace.

Archived