DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand, Selene and the Portal Stone

lgautam

In the Great Hunt, Rand accidentally transports himself, Loial and Hurin to another world using the Portal Stone.

Lanfear or Selene transports herself as well and sets him up.

The point is, how does she know which world and which place he is in?

In the Great Hunt, Rand accidentally transports himself, Loial and Hurin to another world using the Portal Stone.

She checked the activity log of the portal stones computer; I thought it was obvious ::)

Or maybe she just transported them herself.

Some things to consider:

-The event happened when the 3 were asleep.

-A channeler can only channel only Spirit when it is asleep.

I am not sure if Portal Stones take only Spirit.

By Rand's difficulty using the Portal Stones later in the book, it seems that Rand was not yet strong enough; so it seems more probable that Lanfear/Selene sent them to the world.

Some things to consider:

-The event happened when the 3 were asleep.

-A channeler can only channel only Spirit when it is asleep.

I am not sure if Portal Stones take only Spirit.

By Rand's difficulty using the Portal Stones later in the book, it seems that Rand was not yet strong enough; so it seems more probable that Lanfear/Selene sent them to the world.

Always been my interpretation of the event aswell. She wanted some time alone with Rand thats all.

She checked the activity log of the portal stones computer; I thought it was obvious ::)

Or maybe she just transported them herself.

If anyone could check the activity log, it was Lanfear.  She was probally one of the AS researchers Loial talked about and was a contributing author to Mirrors of the Wheel.

But she probally did have a hand in getting them there.  I'm more curious how Ishamual found them.

Does anybody have a book on hand to look for the telltale shivering just before Rand drifts off to sleep? I always took for  granted that Lanfear was behind her mask of mirrors inside the camp right by Rand and just sent them all to the other world herself. She was pretty hesitant about that portal stone and Rand trying to get them back, wasn't she? Probably thought she'd have to show herself to be a channeler to get them out.

Like someone in another thread said, the first three books cannot totally be relied upon, especially where the OP is concerned i.e. travelling and such.  If you remember Egwene had a dream of Lanfear(she didn't know it was Lanfear) standing over Rand and then suddenly they vanished.  As other posters said it was most definately Lanfear because at that point Rand would have most likely severed or killed himself.

Personally I would like to know more about Portal Stones

She was pretty hesitant about that portal stone and Rand trying to get them back, wasn't she? Probably thought she'd have to show herself to be a channeler to get them out.

no, it was the other way around. She tried to make Rand use the portal stone from the start, he didn't want to so she somehow summoned the grolm to make him rush it

She was pretty hesitant about that portal stone and Rand trying to get them back, wasn't she? Probably thought she'd have to show herself to be a channeler to get them out.

no, it was the other way around. She tried to make Rand use the portal stone from the start, he didn't want to so she somehow summoned the grolm to make him rush it

It was the standard MO the Forsaken used when they tried to seduce the ta'veren.  "Seek glory and power and the fame and riches will be endless."  That scene in the Portal Stone world, and events right after, was the closest one of them came to succumbing to the temptation.

so she somehow summoned the grolm to make him rush it

How would she have been able?  I take that Forsaken summon shadowspawn; grolm is not one of them.  And if she was able, the distance between her and them might have been too far; if she used Inverting, Rand seemed close enough to feel it.

She is a schemer and plotter, also an expert on channeling and as strong as a women can get in the OP.  After reading these post I'm not certain the grolm were real.

And she can't summon shadowspawn, the forsaken can control them, order them around but not make them appear out of thin air.

Archived