DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

2 quick questions

Marussan

Aside from The New Spring, which was published between books 10 and 11, there are none, as RJ primarily focused on writing WoT. He had plans to write other books after WoT was finished, but unfortunately passed on before that time.

New Spring can be found on the shelves of any bookstore that carries WoT.

Yeah already own that one.

My question really stems from the Dragonlance books.  There are numerous authors telling different tales about that world, building its lore out to immense proportions.  I guess I'm just curious as to why no one has written about the travels of Jain Farstrider, or written about the world just in general.

I guess everyone is still waiting for the ending of the main series, but there is just so much potential for storytelling that the WoT world encompasses.

Robert Jordan doesn't want anyone else writing in his world, Brandon is writing the last book because he wanted the main series to be finished regardless, but he doesn't want anyone else to write in his world after the fact.

Robert Jordon also had planned and had notes for two-outrigger novels.  Its possible that if A Memory of Light is succesful that Brandon Sanderson might some day (a couple of years at least) write one or both of these novels. But that is really totally up in the air and would only happen if Harriet (RJ's widow and editor of WOT) agrees to it.

well...that sucks.

Not really. Dragonlance was created specifically as a company-owned roleplaying brand that many writers would create stories, novels and roleplaying campaigns for. It was designed from the outset to be a big, multi-author shared world. TSR and its successor, Wizards of the Coast, created and own the rights to the world, not Weis, Hickman or any other single author.

Wheel of Time, like most single author projects, wasn't. Robert Jordan, not Tor Books, owned the rights to the world and decided how it was used. The author was protective of his world and didn't want other people using it without his permission. The only reason Brandon is writing the last book is because Jordan gave permission for someone to finish the main story arc after his death.

Archived