DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Letters Home Attn: Loraine and Edana

_Kynwric_

Edana paused, fighting to keep her expression from showing her irritation at being called a girl. As old as she'd heard he was, she had little doubt that's exactly what he thought she was. She shook that thought out of her head and asked the only question she could think of. "If they can fly, how do we fight them?"

~Edana

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We don't... the Aes Sedai do." It was simple answer, one that he thought she should have known on her own. "Sorry, I sometimes forget you've never seen an Green in fully battle mode, the things they can do..." He just shook his head, "Its closer to slaughter than battle. And the only way you counter an Aes Sedai is with another Aes Sedai... I have to assume the Seanchan have some sort of Channelers, otherwise they would have been torn apart by some wilder."

Edana nodded slowly, turning that over in her head. She wasn't stupid. She'd grown up in Camelyn, where Aes Sedai were quite free to roam as they liked. She'd heard stories, too, but, then, she'd heard other stories that she'd chalked up to fantasy as a child, too. "I know little about that," she murmured. She'd thought they were bound by oaths not to take lives using their gifts. Did that not cover an enemy in battle, then? How were they able to overcome those oaths for such an obviously deadly intent? Light help! Did she really want to be stuck to a woman who had that kind of destructive power?

Suddenly a lifetime of wall duty didn't seem so bad...

She cleared her throat, changing the subject. "What do we do from here, Master Kynwric?" There was most likely not much time for resting. When we get back to the Tower, I'm going to sleep for a week! she promised herself.

~Edana

Kyn ignored the questions she had left unasked, "We do our duty. Which in this case is to find out more and then report back. I want to follow them to this town they are headed or that Loraine mentions and see what we see... then it will likely be time to head home."

Edana nodded, glad to hear that "home" was somewhere in their near future. She'd be glad to get back to the regular routine of the Yard, even if it meant more training. Even if it meant continuing this search. She lifted her eyes to Kynwric's again. "Did I miss anything good while I was gone?"

~Ed

"You mean besides the flying beasties?" He shook his head, "No, its been relatively quiet. Hiding from Seanchan is not nearly the same as hiding from shadowspawn on the fun scale." He grinned and pointed to the pot on one side of the clearing, "Come on, dinner should be warm.... it's been cooking all day."

Edana nodded, grabbing the sack that held her eating tools from her saddlebags before making her way towards dinner. She ate in silence for a little while, turning things over in her head. "So, Loraine spoke of a town that we need to investigate? She didn't tell me what she was writing," she let me relax in the tub for that part...

"So, our plan will be to ride out and find it, then take all of the information we've gathered back to the Tower?" It sounded harmless. That was what worried her most!

~Edana

Kyn nodded, "There's a town, it seems to be being used as a headquarters for this army. If the Seanchan are using it in this area there should be some units of it there. It is literally a treasure trove of information for the artful spy. Unfortunately, I'm neither." He shoveled a bit more of the pot pie into his mouth and then continued. "So we'll go, have a look and get out. Because no matter what we find, it will take Aes Sedai in the field to finish this army off."

Edana nodded, adding her own "me, either," to his admission of not being good spy material. She'd only ever successfully snuck away from one thing and she'd used the cover of good friends and confusion to do it. She doubted she'd find either in the town they were off to find. She ate thoughtfully for a few moments. "You're a very good cook," she said, knowing it sounded like it came out of nowhere. "I've been meaning to tell you that."

~Edana

Kyn laughed, "Thank you, but I'm no better than a decent cook, better out here than in a kitchen though. Lots and lots of practice... there's another thing for you to master, camp cooking, it isn't part of a Novice's lessons, so if you want to eat in the field you'd best learn to cook out here." Kyn thought back over what Loraine had written, trying to decipher anything written between the lines but there just wasn't anything there this time. Kyn shrugged the thought off and then returned to his meal. When they were finished he said, "Get some rest, in a couple hours we're going scouting."

Edana felt the smile on her lips as she tried to imagine his Aes Sedai cooking. That had to be an experience. One she was particularly glad she could avoid. She almost felt sorry for Kynwric. Almost.

She nodded at his suggestion of rest, not arguing as she unrolled her bedroll and stretched out. She desperately needed the rest and she'd take whatever she could get. Even if it meant stretching out on the hard floor and pretending it was the most comfortable bed she'd ever slept in!

A few hours later, she was sitting up on her rolled up bedroll, waiting for directions about where they were scouting and what they were looking for. She was better rested, though she couldn't wait to get back home. Sandre was still gone on his trip, but she longed to see his things laying around their room. She sighed, turning her thoughts to the task ahead of them, trying not to wish she was somewhere else. That way lead to laziness and they really couldn't afford that out here!

~Edana

Kyn sat up and kept watch while Edana slept, he had an advantage of being bonded and being able to draw upon Loraine for a reserve when necessary and he was making use of it now. They were too close to the Seanchan for both of them to sleep at the same time. Once Edana was up again Kyn motioned her to the horses, which he had already prepared to depart. "Let's go, the Army is stirring and I want to be beside it when it moves out." He then mounted up and began to flank around to the right side of the army, knowing he'd spent far too much time on the left waiting for Edana to rejoin him.