DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Arrival at the stedding - Attn Jehaine and Sage

Nynaeve

~ Are you sure? ~

~ Yes, Midnight, I'm sure ~  Winifred rolled her eyes at the question.

Winifred sighed. Midnight had been bugging her for hours, claiming that the girl hadn't moved in a while now. Only, she wasn't going to be fooled by her acting. She had sufficient air supply, the bounds weren't tight enough to cut off circulation and her scent felt too cheery to indicate anything but a very alive person. It was quite odd. The conditions of travel were not exactly what Winifred would call ideal. At least, she wouldn't find being bound and covered with a sack to be fun. But apparently, this didn't seem to bother the girl and Winifred could clearly feel her growing excitement, the closer they got to the Stedding.

This one was going to be difficult. There was something terribly wrong with her. Broken. Winifred wasn't qualified to the determine if she could be fixed, but she hoped it could be done. But until then, many precautions had to be taken. For everyone's safety, as well as her own.

Winifred felt relieved as she and the tied sack entered the Stedding, going in the infirmary's direction in search of a Sage.

Winifred

Head Tracker

Daciana waited, her growing excitement threatening to get the better of her as she could almost feel she was getting closer to their destination with every passing second. The bonds around her wrists were still uncomfortable, and though she kept trying to free her hands from them she wasn't desperately trying to break the ropes like she had been at the start of her unexpected trip.

It was then that she entered the Stedding, and passing the unseen barrier caused alarm bells to go off in her head. The chill, she was being lowered into a pond! The woman was trying to drown them! Kill! Destroy! She could hear the rope groan under the strain as adrenaline surged through her muscles. Just a few seconds more, and...

Huh?

All of a sudden, something occurred to her. There was no water, not even a dampness of the cloth. She had felt a passing chill though, and she had no reason to doubt her senses. Whispering in her mind, Hunter told her to calm down, telling her it had to be some kind of trick as well as remind her that she would see to her safety no matter what.

Whomever would be responsable for the tricks played on her was in for a long day...

Daciana

Welcome home...

• 2 months later...

Aislyn was in her infirmary checking the stocks and listing what was running low. The trainee sages would have be getting a lecture this afternoon it seemed. They'd let some salves run shamefully low and some of the medicines had obviously not been stored correctly and fresh ones would need to be made. Tutting to herself quietly, she added a note about one of her trainee's awful handwriting. What's the point of having labels if it can't be read?

She turned and faced the door a moment before Winifred entered. "Hello, Winifred. What brings you here today, a new arrival or a personal visit?" she queried with a pleasant smile.

Aislyn

Oblivious to what's in store...

• 3 weeks later...

"Hello, Winifred. What brings you here today, a new arrival or a personal visit?". Winifred let the sack she was carrying drop to the floor with a thud. Smiling, she winked at Aislyn. "I'm afraid this is a business call. The new arrival is in the sack." Aislyn seemed confused by the statement. "Let me save you the trouble. You wonder why she's tied in a sack? Well, there's something wrong with her."

Winifred took a sit and told the Sage the entire story from the moment she laid her eyes on the girl, through their confrontation and springing her out of jail. "It is hard to say what will emerge from within that sack. All I know is that one of the girl's identities is dangerous. To be frank, I don't think she should be left alone until this is resolved. I'd say a constant watch would be prudent, while she's examined."

Winifred

The sack yelped when it hit the ground, though more in surprise than in actual pain. Daciana wriggled to get free and see where she was, or at least get the sack off of her, but given the knots that were keeping her wrists in place that was a little harder than she expected. Trying brute strength again, she tried to force the knot loose, but other than a groan from the rope there was little to no effect.

In her mind, Hunter was tapping her fingernails, clearly starting to get annoyed at the current situation. There were some other thoughts, echoes of others that seemed to drift just outside of hearing as if she was in a room where a number of people were talking to one another, and that in itself served to keep her occupied. Or at least give her something to do as she waited to be released.

Daciana was now crawling on the ground, attempting to make the sack slide off of her by trying to make the cloth catch on something. She didn't hear most of what Winifred was telling Aislyn for that reason, though she did manage to catch a couple of words she wasn't really listening.

Daciana

Doesn't want to be sacked

• 3 weeks later...

Aislyn's eyebrows rose steadily as Winifred explained the situation and she couldn't help but stare incredulously at the sack, now squirming on the floor.

"You mean that you brought a wanderer all the way here in a sack?" Aislyn couldn't stop the incredulity from entering her voice. "Do you really think she's that dangerous?" She looked at Winifred and got the answer without Winifred even opening her mouth. "I see."

Aislyn regarded the sack thoughtfully. "How long has she been in there? Has she been fed and given something to drink?"

• 2 weeks later...

"You mean that you brought a wanderer all the way here in a sack? Do you really think she's that dangerous?" Winifred gave Aislyn a significant look without saying a word. Oh yeah, I just thought it would be a brilliant idea to try the traveling in a sack concept, for a quicker journey. Winifred grinned to herself.

"How long has she been in there? Has she been fed and given something to drink?" Winifired tilted her head to the side. "Well, she's been there the entire journey. And she's still alive, yes. Her smell isn't very forthcoming, though. But you know, I have a lot of things to catch up on, so I'll go fetch Lorelai for you. Please, do not untie her until the ranger gets here. It's for everyone's best interest. Good day, Aislyn." And with that, Winifred was gone. After all, she delivered the package and all neatly wrapped at that. Her job was done, so to speak.

A few moments later Lorelai walked through the door. Greeting Aislyn with a smile, she peered curiously at the sack. "Winifred briefed me a moment ago. I'm ready whenever you are."

Lorelai

Ranger

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a deep breath, Aislyn approached the sack and started to speak in a soothing voice. "You're safe and amongst friends. I'm going to open the sack now and help you out, then we can get you food and something to drink. Ready?"

The sack twitched a little so Aislyn took one last look at the Tracker and nodded her readiness. In one smooth motion she untied the sack, her hands not betraying the nerves she felt. All that showed on her face was concern. Who was in here that required being tied up?? She guessed she was about to find out.

Aislyn

Curious and concerned

Daciana gave a relieved sigh when she was freed from the sack, casting a look of disheveled innocence around her. Had Winifred been in the area she would have no doubt concerning which personality was in the open now, yet it was an experience Lorelai and Aislyn did not have, and as such would likely find it a bit hard to imagine. A brief check would confirm that her emotions seemed to have more in common with a manhandled cub than the predator that was Hunter.

- "Hey, what's the idea, asking me ta come along and then stuffing me inna-- Hey, where'd she go?"

Blinking, she noticed Winifred's disappearance from the scene, and she tilted her head as she looked at Lorelai, then Aislyn, as she tried to figure out who the two new people were. Leaning over from her half-lying position, she smelled Aislyn's arm for a second.

- "Hmm... Nope, don't know ya. Where is this place?"

Rolling half on her back before jumping to her feet, she scanned the area for signs of Fal Sion, yet failing to recognise anything as being part of the city she was not in. After a bit, she turned back to the other two with a quizzical look on her face, waiting on them to tell her where she was. Or ask them if they didn't.

Daciana

Are you my mommies now?

• 1 month later...

OOC: My bad! *grovels*

"Hello, my name is Aislyn. I'm what's known as a Sage in these parts" Aislyn kept her voice calm and even. "You are safe here and are amongst friends." She paused and studied the person before her curiously. "Would you like something to eat and drink?" And a bath! she thought privately. Whoever this was surely didn't deserve being brought here in a sack of all things.

Gesturing to a chair, Aislyn indicated for the girl to sit. "are you injured in anyway?" Her senses only indicated a few scrapes and bruises, but there are more ways to be injured than physically.

Daciana blinked at Aislyn as she introduced herself. A Sage? Why would anyone want to be known as a plant? The poor woman was obviously a bit wrong in the head... Still, the offer for food and drink sounded nice enough, so she chose not to comment on the woman's name too much.

- "Sure! They didn't really feed me back in the dungeon..."

The question whether or not she was injured was lost in a sneeze as dust from the sack had accumulated in her nose. She looked around to see if there was anyone that seemed tender enough, until her eyes fell on one of the newer members walking a ways in the distance. Most of the people in the Stedding were muscled and wiry, she noticed, so the ones that didn't were probably the food then. Pointing at the man, she turned to Aislyn.

- "...How about him?"

Daciana

Easily misunderstood

• 5 weeks later...

Aislyn shared a puzzled look with Lorelai and then returned her calm gaze back to the newcomer. "What about him?" Aislyn asked, trying to conceal the confusion in her voice. £The food is over on that tray." As she spoke she gestured to one of the apprentices who brought the tray over.

"We have fresh baked bread and beef stew. There's plenty, so feel free to ask for more if you want."

Aislyn studied the woman in front of her, then what she had said suddenly struck home. "Wait! You were kept in a dungeon?"

Daciana nodded without hesitation as Aislyn mentioned her being kept in a dungeon, making a face at the memory of it. She liked her own soft pile of cloaks better than the stone floor, and judging by breakfast she wondered if eating the rats was considered more healthy.

- "Yeah, was blamed for... what's the word again... poaching? Hunter does that stuff, says i still need more training."

She pouted, crossing her arms in front of her chest in disagreement. That changed though as her eyes fell on the food Auslyn had mentioned a moment ago. Her initial discomfort all but forgotten walked over to the stew pot, starting to fish the pieces of beef out of the stew. Silly people, trying to drown good meat like that...

Daciana

Carnivore

• 3 weeks later...

Again Aislyn was forced to exchange puzzled looks with Lorelai. This girl was an enigma to be sure. There was something not right about her, yet Aislyn found it hard to put her finger on what exactly it was. Winifred had mentioned "other identities" but Aislyn had yet to see what she meant.

She watched as the girl went over to the stew and started to fish out the beef. "Who is Hunter?" Aislyn asked curiously. She was beginning to understand the reason why Winifred had suggested that Lorelai be here.

Aislyn

Curious and confused

• 2 weeks later...

Daciana grinned as she looked at the other two Wolfkin.

- "She's my big sis! She looks after me an' i'm learning, but i'm not that good at stuff yet."

She tilted her head looking at Lorelai and Aislyn, waiting to see if they had more questions. In the meantime though, she fished a piece of beef from the stew and, after burning her fingers on it, blew at the tips to make them cool off.

Daciana

Hot stew is hot!

Another look was shared between Lorelai and Aislyn. At this rate, Aislyn thought wryly, Lorelai and I will be developing our own silent look dictionary!

Aislyn's eyes followed the new girl as she hovered by the stew pot. "Has Hunter come here with you? Would she like something to eat too?" Aislyn asked, sure that Winifred hadn't mentioned someone else with this new arrival...Her eyes widened as she finally understood, or at least thought she understood.

"Is Hunter in your head?" She asked gently.

Aislyn

Understanding finally dawning

Daciana thought on the question for a moment, trying to figure out if that would be the right way of putting it. After a while, she replied.

- "Well... Not really, we take turns. She's awake though, wanna talk to her?"

She grinned cheerfully at Aislyn, folding her hands behind her back as she waited for the answer. This sounded like something Hunter would be able to talk about, and she would make sure to give her an easy explanation later on.

Daciana

Wanna see?

• 5 weeks later...

We take turns? She's awake? What a funny way of putting it. Aislyn thought.

"Er..yes please." She added hesitantly with a glance towards Lorelai to make sure she was ready for whatever came about. "I'd like to speak with Hunter."

She sat forward, senses on high alert for whatever happened next.

• 1 month later...

Daciana nodded enthusiastically, and took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a few seconds. When she opened them again, it would be clear to anyone that the person standing in front of them was far from the almost childlike woman that Aislyn and Lorelai had been talking to just a few seconds ago. Oh, outwardly there was no change in appearance of course, but looking into her eyes the two could not have been farther apart.

- "According to my sister you wished to speak to me... From what i heard you wish to discuss our nature."

Hunter glanced at the two of them, weighing them, their stance and their appearance according to a mental scale of potential threats. The eyes got a slightly longer look however, and when she broke the stare a second or two later, she felt she had read everything she needed to know. If Aislyn and Lorelai would have done the same during that brief moment of direct eye contact, they would have seen the eyes of one who would try to kill both of them without a second thought if she considered it a better alternative.

- "Very well, i approve. In return however, i must ask you about yourselves. It would only be fair, would it not?"

She crossed her arms, waiting for them to answer. She was aware her way of speaking was quite different from Daciana's, but unfortunately she could emulate her other self as badly as she could emulate her, so that wasn't an option. She was aware of not having her dagger on her -- shame that, it had a good strong blade! -- but was confident enough in her own strength and her ability to fight unarmed that she would not be caught by surprise by these two should it come to that.

Hunter

State your business

• 4 weeks later...

"Er, but of course" Aislyn replied, a bit unsteadily. There'd been something in that gaze that...she shuddered and tried to pull herself together. She wasn't one for childish fancy and jumping at shadows but this girl had her on edge.

She tried again, a bit more steadily. "How long have you..two..been like this? Are there more of..you..in the poor girl's head? Can you tell me more about your condition?" Despite herself she began to lean forward with interest showing clearly on her face. Now she might get answers and find out how best to help this girl.

Aislyn

Wanting answers but not thinking about whether she'll like them!

Hunter thought for a moment, in the meantime using her tongue to remove a piece of meat that had gotten stuck between her teeth.

- "Hmm... About two, maybe three years i estimate? Technically one would consider a period of time before that when we weren't separated personalities yet, but opinions may differ as to when it first began."

She frowned, thinking back further, bringing up memories Daciana preferred to keep hidden. She of course warned her sister in advance so she could go to sleep while she was discussing it, no use in frightening the poor girl unnecessarily. Tapping her chin, she went through what she could remember that far back.

- "The actual split happened when... around the first time i tasted human meat, i believe. Tastes like chicken, i find it rather ironic myself."

As far as the casualness with which she spoke was concerned it was almost like she was talking about actual chickens rather that human beings. She even chuckled at the added joke at the end, showing that she had no problems with it herself. Listening intently like Aislyn was, she would not be able to detect a hint of a lie for the simple reason that Hunter spoke the truth, and meant every word.

- "Your turn... I've seen a number of wolves around here, but for some reason you and they seem to... coexist. How is this possible?"

Grinning, she leaned back in her seat, crossing her arms and putting one leg over the other as she waited for Aislyn to reply.

Hunter

Taking turns, remember?

• 3 weeks later...

Aislyn blinked as she tried to recover her scrambled wits. Eat human flesh? But why?? What had this poor girl been through that had driven her to something so horrid?

Coming back to her senses Aislyn realised that she'd been asked a question. Focusing on answering that seemed to help her gather her wits a little. She would have to deal with Daciana's, or rather this Hunter's, revelation in a little while, though how she was going to do so she had no idea.

Clearing her throat, she began to explain "We are known as the Wolfkin. We have the ability to speak to wolves and we share some of their attributes. We can see in the moonlight like they can and we have higher senses than most humans." she paused a moment to consider what to explain first. Experience had taught her that a generic 'this is who we are' type speech didn't help. Most people had a different expectation/knowledge/fear of the Wolfkin and so Aislyn had learned to tailor the explanation according to her audience.  "This is a Stedding, where Channelling isn't possible. Most Aes Sedai seem to think we are something to be studied, most other people seem to think we are to be feared. Here we are protected and our presence here protects the wolves as much as they protect us.

As I said earlier, we can speak to wolves and they to us and, as is usual when two societies begin to communicate, after a while friendships occur. The kind of friendships we have with the wolves differ from person to person. Some have a playful relationship, others a respectful one. That is why they are here and why we co-exist well.

Some wolves treat us like the people do - with distrust and suspicion but on the whole Wolves are more accepting of us than people are."

Aislyn stopped there and decided it was her turn for a question again. She swallowed hard and forced herself to ask the question and mentally braced herself for the answer.  "What...what made you eat human flesh?"

Aislyn

Awaiting the answer but not sure she's ready to hear it

• 3 months later...

Hunter processed the information, and compared it to the things she knew from her own personal experience. There weren't that many wolves in the middle of Fal Sion even if they were supposed to be a sign of good luck, but what Aislyn had mentioned about enhanced senses and perfect vision at night matched. As for the talking to wolves part... Well, unless she missed her guess she was going to be here for a while, so plenty of time to find out. It was the woman's turn to ask a question of her now, and she tilted her head, her red irises looking into Aislyn's golden ones with amusement at her revulsion.

- "Hmm... Well, i pretty much grew up in a dark cell of a Darkfriend complex. From what i could tell, they were trying to create child assassins... Training was hard and cold, but long story short, we split when one of my trainers wanted some 'one on one time' with me. It took a channeler to put an end to the trail of destruction i left in my wake as i fled my cell... Good times, good times."

She smiled as if recalling a good memory. After she had been found eating the remains of the trainer that she had killed, they tried salvaging their little 'project' but she ended up attacking them as often as her targets. Plenty of red meat in her diet after that one though.

- "You mentioned you could talk to wolves... Assuming i have this ability as well, how would it work? Wolves aren't capable of human speech all of a sudden, i take it."

Hunter

Has returned

• 2 months later...