DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rivalry is encouraged. ((ATTN: Shad))

Kura

Dreadlord Arcon Dadread stood in the courtyard of the fortress, mulling over the idea of leaving the home of the dreadlords, for the home he had been born to. He had set up the web to snare that light-blinded city, but he had made mention of a pair he would be bringing home with him... Sighing, he refocused his thoughts on the present, specifically getting one of those two up to a level where he could safely leave the fortress. He was close... Arcon even thought he should already have been tested for Adept status, but now was not the time for that. Now was the time for advancing his favored student.

To do that however, he had made note of another promising youth, a counterpoint to Shadar. He was weaker, yes, but from all reports and Arcon's own spying, he appeared to be one of the more talented male acolytes. Shad would no doubt be facing channelers one day... and he would have to learn how to defeat a more skilled opponent. Speaking of the boy, Arcon spotted the saldean mix walking through the corridors...

---

Darial was excited. He had been invited to a private lesson, one designed to test his skills, and to teach him how to defeat a rival channeler. He had no idea who the other student was, but he doubted that would matter to much. He had been advancing quickly through his studies, the power coming to him with no effort, and he had quickly realized he was a cut above most of his companions in his weaves. He was perhaps a bit weaker... but he could weave circles around them.

He hoped that ability translated into being a skilled duelist with the power, as there were many here who had earned his ire, and he knew he would have to be better than them in order to accomplish his goals of revenge. Arriving in the courtyard, he bowed low in respect to the pale-faced instructor, whom he'd been informed was named Arcon Dadread. His name however, was already known to Darial... many adepts and acolytes both spoke of him in awe, looking to him as a leader. He would be a good man to model, and perhaps complete the education his father had begun.

All that was left to do was wait for his opponent to show up, and thankfully he didn't have to wait long. Though as he saw who it was he was being asked to duel, his narrow eyes became slits. The Southerner... His eyes returned to Arcon, wondering if he was aware of the distaste the two had for each other. He doubted it; neither he nor Shadar, as he had learned his name from other sources, were particularly social, and it was doubtful that either spoke of the chance meeting in the halls. He almost slipped into the litany of the 'wheel weaves'.. before chiding himself. He was a servant of the Great Lord now, and soon the wheel's will was to be irrelevant...

Returning himself to the present, he listened for either Arcon or Shadar to speak. He had no desire to break the silence...

Shadar strolled down the dark corridors. At least he tried, but the thought of a private lesson against a fellow channeler excited him and his pace quickened despite himself. The wide, deep hood on his black robe hid his face from those he passed and his hands clasped his wrists inside the wide sleeves as he glided along silently. He had been fairly successful at stealth as of late and moving quietly had become second nature to him. He blankly admired the silver scroll work along the cuffs of his robes and pondered how the lesson would go.

Shadar had also been working on faking emotions as part of his subterfuge. He still was not good at making them completely believable and Arcon had muttered something about fooling a bear, let alone a Carhenien. Arcon had seemed impressed with him up until this point. He had explained to him that while he was impressed with his strength he was about as deft as a bull around Sea Folk Porcelain. Shadar had experienced this before with some of his weaves, it was like trying to shave with a battle axe, it could be done, it just was not easy.

Shad tossed his head, letting his hood fall back. He walked into the room and inclined his head at Arcon before noticing the other initiate. He merely stared blankly at the man. Of course it would be the Half-Breed. His face not changing a hair he turned back calmly to Arcon and waited. Silence suited him well and he was prepared to let Arcon do the talking.

Arcon looked at the two, noting the tension around Darial’s eyes. Oh? What do we have here? A bit of previous hostility would only aide in this exercise, but I might have to watch for killing weaves… fun. “This will be a simple exercise. Shadar, you are familiar with the format, but for Darial I will explain it.” The Carhenien’s eyes went to the saldean, wondering how he’d take that.

“It is simple, first I demonstrate a weave, and then you perform it in a context of my choosing.” He chose a stern tone for his next words, “Though today, there will be a match using all you have learned thus far in your training. I will warn you, if you weave to kill, you will find yourself on the receiving end of an advanced spirit weave known simply as pain.” He didn’t have to look to know that Shad perked up in his ridiculously unresponsive way at the mention of that weave. Not yet my friend… not yet.

“First weave up for today. Cutting. Used simply to stop an opponents weaves. Shad, club of air.” As his favored student did as instructed, Arcon seized and sliced the weave in half, eliciting a small grunt from Shadar. “It does have the feedback effect.” His voice was clipped, having already explained this to Shadar before, but trying to even the field between the two. “Shadar, you’ll be cutting first, Darial, try to avoid his weaves and get in for an attack. Do not press the attack; a light touch should be sufficient.” He needed to demonstrate the difference in skill first, establishing a base for Shad to leap off from.

“Begin.”

Shadar watched his Mentor as he studied the two of them, not allowing the Half-Breed the pleasure of a glance. His dislike for the man had grown as he stewed over his snide attitude. He was proud and arrogant. A combination Shad found fun to work with. He was sure the Half-Breed would be as tough as hard ice to crack, but just as much fun to watch shatter.

“This will be a simple exercise. Shadar, you are familiar with the format, but for Darial I will explain it. It is simple, first I demonstrate a weave, and then you perform it in a context of my choosing. Though today, there will be a match using all you have learned thus far in your training. I will warn you, if you weave to kill, you will find yourself on the receiving end of an advanced spirit weave known simply as pain.”

Shad shifted his stance, which in other men was as good as capering. He half considered forming the killing weaves simply to see the weave, not to mention the chance of getting rid of the Half-Breed. He rejected the idea immediately however, no use in breaking his Half-Breed toy.

“First weave up for today. Cutting. Used simply to stop an opponents weaves. Shad, club of air.”

Shad seized and wove as instructed without delay. He knew what was coming but never questioned Arcon's order. Grunting softly in spite of himself as the weave recoiled, he released and stood ready again.

“It does have the feedback effect.”  He returned to instructing them both once more. “Shadar, you’ll be cutting first, Darial, try to avoid his weaves and get in for an attack. Do not press the attack; a light touch should be sufficient....Begin.”

Shad seized the Source the instant Arcon allowed and prepared the weaves he had practiced. He noted that the Half-Breed had seized only a moment later than himself. The Half-Breed formed a club of air and hurled it at Shad, contemptuously he sliced the weave, readying for the next attack. Feeling him out, the Half-Breed sent a few more in to be sliced before really trying. Shad's eyes widened a hair in surprise when the man really made an honest attempt. The man was deft and quite nimble if not at all near the strength of Shadar. Slicing his weaves a few more times he barely missed getting what he assumed would have been a nasty bruise before Arcon told them to cease.

Darial had woven with every ounce of skill he possessed, spinning his clubs as deftly as he could to try to bypass Shad’s defenses. For all his effort, he got one touch…but had the buzzer not been called….

“Darial, you are on defense now. Begin.”

Instantly Shadar was on him weaving mauls of air as opposed to the clubs Darial had used. Gritting his teeth, the saldean wove line after line of the cutting weave, weaving more than he needed, keeping them in reserve. As the battle progressed Darial thought he noted something of extreme import; he could handle an extra weave than his opponent. As such, he lashed out, sending out the southerner’s max weaves to intercept, and keeping one in reserve just incase he managed to slip one by his defenses.

Breathing hard, he was beginning to think this filthy pig-sweating ox would beat him on pure endurance. Was it lasting longer than his assault? Was Arcon favoring Shadar… or testing him? He felt his anger skirt the edge of the void, and used it to keep him going, unfaltering.

“Stop. Good. Now for the next weave.”

---

Arcon was impressed. Shad had managed to hold off a more skilled opponent in what could only be described as a test of that element, and had even managed to put Darial on the ropes with his counter assault. Darial’s tenacity in both defense and offense was also quite impressive.

“Time for the second of the bread and butter weaves against fellow channelers. Shielding.” Drawing heavily on the source, Arcon wove two strands of spirit, into a sort of spectral helmet. “The specifics of this weave are… complex, and I am not here to teach you philosophy. What you need to know is this, it is near impossible to shield someone who is holding the power.” Arcon slammed a shield onto both students, shutting them off from the source. “Unless you are much stronger than them…”

To be honest, Arcon might not have been able to perform the weave he had just demonstrated so effortlessly, except for what he held in his pocket. His hand gripped one of three stones that he felt might come in handy, but was reluctant to use. Looking at the animosity between the two… he was beginning to doubt the wisdom of handing out these small angreals… Only time would tell however.

“Shadar, again, you are up first. Try to shield him, Darial, take note that you can use a shield to defend against a shield.” Arcon let go of the shields and mouthed, “Begin.”

• 2 weeks later...

Shad looked at the Half-Breed impassively. He had almost struck home with that last weave. His clubs were small but darted like tiny bite-me's. Grudgingly he noted the difference in skill and added that to his list of why he disliked the man. Not that he minded being bested in skill, it was that the man thought himself better than Shad. Being bested in skill still rankled a little.

“Darial, you are on defense now. Begin.”

Shadar's lips twitched at a grin and instantly he was weaving massive hammers of Air. the Half-Breed may have the round with skill, but Shad had strength and was going to use it. Not long into the battle, his brow furrowed slightly however. For every weave he shot the Half-Breed's way, a cutting weave snaked out to intercept. Shad did not slow and felt the jolt of his weaves being cut over and over. The Half-Breed started reacting just a little slower, with smaller cutting motions. Could he be tiring out already?

“Stop. Good. Now for the next weave.”

Shad glanced at Arcon almost grudgingly. He had almost had the Half-Breed he was sure.

“Time for the second of the bread and butter weaves against fellow channelers. Shielding. The specifics of this weave are… complex, and I am not here to teach you philosophy. What you need to know is this, it is near impossible to shield someone who is holding the power.”

Arcon slammed a shield onto both students, shutting them off from the source.

“Unless you are much stronger than them…”

“Shadar, again, you are up first. Try to shield him, Darial, take note that you can use a shield to defend against a shield.”

The corners of Shadar's mouth started to twist in a grin. Arcon always had him go first. Then it faltered, was that to show him how he had failed when the Half-Breed started to weave? He had no more time to consider it. The weave Arcon had shown him was simple in its complexity. He adapted it as he did from time to time when Arcon showed him weaves. He envisioned the Source as a flame and he wove a blanket of Spirit, tossing it over the man he felt the edge of it rebound and his weave was sliced again. He tried a few more times. He would best this Half-Breed!

Shadar

Darial listened to Arcon's words carefully, his eyes widening in surprise as the power was taken from him. His slanted eyes probed the dreadlord, his rage raising up yet again. Just as quickly as the shield was woven however, it was gone, and once again he was forced to defend against the onslaught of Shadar...

The man's weaves were brutal, a huge blanket of Saidin launching at him, trying desperately to cut him off from the source. He wove short, simple cutting weaves to counteract the shields. He wove again, and again, the toll of channeling taking its effect on him. When will it be over? The half-breed ground his teeth, realizing what the devilish Carhienen was up to. He wants me to counter him with a shield of my own... He wants me to counter-attack! The light dawning, he sliced once last time at Shad's shield.

Immediatly after he formed his own shield, sending it at his opponent with all the force he could muster. Shad had another in place, and attacked his own incoming shield with his own fresh one. What followed was a battle of attrition, neither one willing to give up. Each one simply attacking the other with shear force of will and strength in the power...

The latter of which, is why Darial lost.

Reaching the end of his strength, Darial cringed as his shield faltered, and the Southerner's came in like a rushing bull. He felt the power robbed from him, and glared at his opponent with unbridled hatred. He had lost! For all his talent with Saidain, this filthy pig of a man had bested him! The Saldean actually felt bile rise up in his throat at the thought of it, and those narrow eyes turned on Arcon. You did this to me...

---

"Shadar, release him." Arcon's voice had to be controlled, lest the mixture of amusement and concern entered his voice. The Saldean had countered, he should have known better. "Darial, you appear to have had a lapse in judgement... Shadar is your superior in brute force, it would have been wiser to twist your weave around his." Examining his favored student again, Arcon noted the glee... What animosity is between these two... and how can I exploit it?

Their hatred was yet another tool, one that could be used to propel Shad to even greater heights, though in truth, he thought he saw the spark of potential in Darial as well. The boy was skilled, and that rage of his would make him easily controlled. He'd have to consider bringing him into his merry band of future dreadlords.

"We are nearing the end of our lesson, and both of you know the basic weaves you will need in order to defeat an opponent who shares our gift. There is however, much more than simply sitting here and battling with your minds." This was the moment where he had planned to hand out the angreals, but he decided to keep them back in light of some revelations.

"This next part, I will simply be acting as a referee. Use whatever you can to shield your opponent, wear them down, distract them, whatever it is that you must do in order to win. Still, if you weave to kill, my earlier warning stands, and I will declare you the looser." There, that last bit had ought to keep these competitive boys in line.

"Now... begin!"

Shadar grunted slightly as his shield was cut and continued throwing shields at the man, massive blankets of Spirit. Then the Half-Breed suddenly threw his own shield up to meet Shadar's! If that was how he wanted it..Shad thought. Repeatedly he wove shields, throwing them at the Half-Breed. Finally he felt the other man's weave falter and his own slide home. Instantly he looked at Arcon for approval, but not before seeing the glare that the Half-Breed gave him.

"Shadar, release him. Darial, you appear to have had a lapse in judgment... Shadar is your superior in brute force, it would have been wiser to twist your weave around his."

Inside Shad crowed with glee! His superior was he? He would watch for a twisted weave from now on. To make sure the other man would not best him.

"We are nearing the end of our lesson, and both of you know the basic weaves you will need in order to defeat an opponent who shares our gift. There is however, much more than simply sitting here and battling with your minds. This next part, I will simply be acting as a referee. Use whatever you can to shield your opponent, wear them down, distract them, whatever it is that you must do in order to win. Still, if you weave to kill, my earlier warning stands, and I will declare you the looser." 

Shad was starting to really tire which meant the other man must be long since. Watching for his sneaky weaves he could best the man again and truly gain the favor of Arcon. With a start he realized he was jealous of the Half-Breed and feared that he would curry Arcon's favor. Anger at the Half-Breed, at himself for caring what the Half-Breed thought or did, boiled up inside. As Arcon spoke the word to begin he seized Saidin and Savagely wove two hammers of Air and hurled them at the man. Letting them dissipate before they could be cut he swung a new hammer at the man. The Half-Breed was busy trying to cut the previous weaves and narrowly avoided being knocked unconscious. A small grin formed as he wove a shield at the man, trying to catch him off balance. He could hear the man panting lightly with the exertion of fending off the sudden onslaught.

All I have to do is wear him down. he thought. He grinned, he grinned and he wove.

Darial chided at Arcon's words... though they made sense. He played to his opponent's strengths, ignoring his own in the attempt. He took a steadying breath, and continued to listen. Dismay filled him as he realized that there was one more challenge...  Exhaustion warred with his desire to best Shadar. Maybe he could just throw the match...

No! He chastised himself, the saldean would never give into a southern pig like Shadar Al'Niende! Ice formed around the void, the cold rage giving him a focus that could compete with the void on a bad day. Arcon signaled the start, and immediately he was put on the defensive. He moved to slice both weaves, and nearly missed the third in the attempt. He is learning to feint. Another layer of chill found itself in Darial's bones...

Though panting, he sliced the shield, having learned better than to try to compete with power. Still, the other man's reserves seemed to be just a hair more full than his own. He needed to sap the man's strength. Put him in an element that he could deal with, but Shadar wouldn't.

A cold smile spread over his lips. Perfect. Darial kept a single cutting weave active, and wove spirit, water, and air. Each lowered the temperature in its own way. The spirit drawing it away, water and air both chilling by more nautural effects. He focused the effect around Shadar, every time the weave was sliced he reformed it, and quickly sliced his opponent's own attempt to weave heat.

Ice started to form in the courtyard, coating the flowers with a glossy shine. It was a Saldean Spring, and as the cold settled in, it was a Ghealaden winter. Finally the man's rage broke, and he wove harshly, forming a ring of flame that dwarfed anything Darial could do.

The mutt didn't bother cutting it, or even fighting it. Instead, he split his flows. First, a concussive blast of air opened up a hole in the ring of fire... and before it could close, a simple ball of ice slammed through, striking Shadar in the skull. The fire stopped, and Darial fell to his knees, breathing heavily. Unrbidled joy spread over his thin red lips, as with a last bit of effort, he wove a shield onto his uncouncious foe... "I win, Southerner."

---

Arcon looked over his two comatose students, allowing a grin to spread over his grimly handsome features... Well well, that was entertaining. Seizing Saidin, he wove a touch of healing onto Shadar, stopping the bleeding from the hailstone that had robbed from him his consciousness. Turning his attention to the Saldean, he laughed.

The mutt still had a smile on his face. I will have to approach this one again... Arcon drew deeply upon the angreal in his pocket, and wove twin stretchers of air for the two. He took each to their rooms, dropping off Darial first. He wove water to form a chunk of ice, and a ward with spirit and fire to keep the heat from touching it. With an air razor, he chiseled in the words, We will be in touch. He stained them with a bit of his own blood, taken at the point of his dagger.

He dropped off his favored student shortly afterwards, and settled into the chair across the room. For all his lack of emotions, the black cloaked man had a sensitive side. He had been beaten and abused, until finally he lashed out against his abuser. Arcon couldn't have that, and as such, he waited for Shadar to wake up, to tell him that he had performed wonderfully, to watch over him.

As his father always told him, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.