DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who does Galad really love?

lgautam

Everyone has accepted that Galad loves Egwene - the whole I love my brother's lover thing - but when is it actually mentioned in Galad's POV that he cares anything for Egwene? He's just flirted with her at the tower. Gawyn's the only one who is assured that Galad loves the woman he himself loves. Elayne says in FoH that Galad had a crush on Nynaeve. So who does the most handsome dude in Randland really love?

Any views?

Galad did have a thing for Egwene at one point.

The crunch of boots on the walk brought them around to look at two young men with their shirts and coats across their arms, leaving sweaty chests bare, and scabbarded swords in their hands. Egwene found herself staring at teh most handsome man she had ever seen. Tall and slim, but hard, he moved with a cat-like grace. She suddenly realized he was bowing over her hand--she had not even felt him take it in his--and fumbled in her mind for the name she had heard.

"Galad," she murmured. His dark eyes stared back into hers. He was older than she. Older than Rand. At the thought of Rand, she gave a start and came to herself.

"And I am Gawyn"--the other young man grinned--"since I don't think you heard the first time." Min was grinning, too, and only Elayne wore a frown.

Egwene abruptly remembered her hand, still held by Galad, and freed it.

"If your duties allow," Galad said, "I would like to see you again, Egwene. We could walk, or if you obtain permission to leave the Tower, we could picnic outside the city."

"That--that would be nice." She was uncomfortably aware of the others, Min and Gawyn still with their amused grins, Elayne still with her scowl. She tried to settle herself, to think of Rand. He's so...beautiful. She gave a jump, half afraid she had spoken aloud.

"Until then." Finally taking his eyes from hers, Galad bowed to Elayne. "Sister." Lithe as a blade, he strolled on across the bridge.

Of course, this does not necessarily mean he actually had a thing for Egwene. But it's, as far as I'm aware, the only evidence we have that he did at one point, as the TC mentioned.

Beyond that, you already know as much as I know. I just posted to clarify on what Kadere said. Unless I'm wholly mistaken.

In TFoH, when Galad encounters Nyneave in an alley in Samara, it is clear from an number of his comments that he is quite concerned about Egwene, although he tries to hide it.  It is also clear that his concern for Nyneave is an afterthought compared to his concern for Elayne and Egwene, although he tries to hide this as well (for politeness if no other reason).

Anyway, my first question was: In book 10 Elayne mentioned that Galad fancied Nynaeve or had for a time. Did I miss something?

(I put his answer on tape, will type out his words, it will be as close to it as I can get it. Although my tape recorder doesn’t pick out everything and I am not going to listen to something 10 times to find his exact exact words. But it is really close)

First he had to repeat the question:

In the tenth book there was a thought that Galad fancied Nynaeve. I thought by Elayne.

Me: yeah

Yeah, and eh it’s hard to keep up exactly with who thought what and when.

Galad did have a certain interest in Nynaeve early on. As sometimes happens that interest has shifted. He is obviously not attracted to Nynaeve anymore.

Me: when did he had the attraction?

RJ: In the beginning when he goes to Nynaeve room. At that time he was interested in her. And Elayne still thinks he is.

Me: But at that time he was interested in Egwene, I thought.

RJ: no not yet. Not at that time.

Me probably staring at him in amazement.

RJ: no not yet.

No, he was not interested in Egwene at that time.

Frankly, who'd believe that the abuses had stopped?

I would say Galad had an interest in Egwene but was not in love with her. Being a loyal brother Gwayn at first hesitates about getting together with Egwene on account that he knows that Galad had an interest but then hormones take over.

Actually, I do not think Galad is in love with anyone which makes him falling for Berelain when she passes out on seeing him in white all the more reasonable.

Well we have some lesbians, but it's true there aren't any male homosexuals we've seen. RJ used to say that they're there, but he just never brought them to the forefront.

Yes, I believe the only mention of such males was in New Spring, when Moiraine was pondering the dismissal of all male clerks from the Tower, and that's only an slight hinting at male homosexuality.

yea I remember that some of the clerks were gay.

But then I suppose in an ideal society such as Randland, the idea of gay or straight really isn't something people think about.  Perhaps it's so normal that it's not out of the ordinary and so not worth mentioning.  I don't think RJ ever dismissed the idea of gay characters but I don't think he needed to focus on a character's sexuality to move the story along either.

Still...if Galad had a crush on...Mat for instance...that might be hot, lol, and slightly comical on Mat's side.

Ok, the mental pictures I got from Galad hitting on Mat nearly slayed me: it would be hysterical ^^

As for Galad's attraction, I don't think he was ever really seriously attached to any character, except Egwene for a time.  When he asked Nynaeve about Elayne and Egwene I always thought his main concern was for Elayne because, even though she hates him (which I think is bitchy and unfair to him), he does care about her.  That was my personal interpretation anyway.

When he asked Nynaeve about Elayne and Egwene I always thought his main concern was for Elayne because, even though she hates him (which I think is bitchy and unfair to him), he does care about her.

I think it would very hard to live with someone like Galad. He does what he feels is right even when it hurts himself or others. He puts ideals before people, and that would be a very hard thing indeed.

Also, in Elayne's defense, making a blended family (half-brother with new brother and sister) isn't always going to be easy.

Anywho, I think Galad and Berelain will be good for one another. :)

Something interesting I came across on a reread today. In TFoH when Rand and Nynaeve/Moghedien are hunting Rhavin in t'a'r, just before Nyn roasts Rhavy she notes that he is just as good looking as Galad. Just a random snippet I'd overlooked and thought I'd share. I always thought Galad was in a league of his own, but I guess he is now that Rhavin got char broiled and balefired. ;D

Archived