DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shadowkiller

Will al Seen

On Perrin's chase after Rand and the Aes Sedai in Lord of Chaos he tells the wolves they've taken Shadowkiller and it was reason enough to tip most of the wolves in favor of helping him. So they do think Shadowkiller is more important than just a kid that slipped into a trolloc camp and killed a few.

Like another poster, I am not sure if wolves know about the Dragon Reborn (or any of his other titles).

First time they call him Shadowkiller is in Great Hunt.

Wolves seen Rand in the Wolf Dream?  That seems doubtful.  Wolves I take can only see wolfbrothers in the Wolf Dream; Perrin's meeting with Birgitte is an indicator of this.

Wolves encountered the dragon's soul?  That also seems doubtful.  Neither Rand nor Lews Therin was a wolfbrother; and I take the other lives of the soul were not either.

They are in awe of Rand, and call him Shadowkiller. Maybe the reason is because he killed a lot of trollocs, but then again, so did many Aes Sedai, and they don't have any special names.

Wolves can smell out Aes Sedai, so maybe they can smell Rand's channeling as well.

Oh, and the Wolf Dream IS Dream World that Dreamwalkers use.

IMO The wolves and all beings of Randland have some prophecies concerning the end of days. Really when you think about it even here on earth who doesn't have some sort of prophecy about it?

I believe that Perrin as "wolf King" at least we assume that's what he will become is to lead the "last Hunt" LB I believe the wolves think there will be someone else there another "two legs" that will help fight in the "last Hunt" I.E. Shadowkiller

Plus the term shadowkiller couldn't that mean they thought he would not just fight the shadow but kill it????

Wolves seen Rand in the Wolf Dream?  That seems doubtful.  Wolves I take can only see wolfbrothers in the Wolf Dream; Perrin's meeting with Birgitte is an indicator of this.

No, that was an indicator of Birgitte's special nature--we know for a fact that Dreamers have encountered wolves in TAR--wolves who have even acted as guides.

Not that I think Rand comes into that--it may be that they've seen Rand in the future-windows that Perrin sees, but we've never seen Rand have any real contact with a wolf in TAR.

Wolves encountered the dragon's soul?  That also seems doubtful.  Neither Rand nor Lews Therin was a wolfbrother; and I take the other lives of the soul were not either.

I wasn't suggesting Rand or LTT is a wolfbrother, or that any of the others were. I was saying they've encountered that soul before, they know of it, and what it does to fight the Shadow--their memory stretches back to the dawn of time, they must have seen the Dragon Soul in a hundred incarnations. Just because that soul couldn't speak to them did not mean they did not notice. They noticed Ishamael and Lanfear, after all.

I recieved the impression the wolves knew exactly who Rand is and what he is meant to do. And like others have said I don't think it is because of his handling of the trolloc pack. The wolves know about TG, and know that they will be there. As we have seen just about every culture has a different prophecy, but all involve Rand in someway. It isn't a massive stretch to think the wolves are the same.

I recieved the impression the wolves knew exactly who Rand is and what he is meant to do. And like others have said I don't think it is because of his handling of the trolloc pack. The wolves know about TG, and know that they will be there. As we have seen just about every culture has a different prophecy, but all involve Rand in someway. It isn't a massive stretch to think the wolves are the same.

I also agree as another poster said that wolves have a collective memory that goes back to the beginning of time. They recognize Rand as the soul of Shadowkiller he who repeatedly fights the DarkOne. They know he is the one who always fights the "Last Battle" and saves the world.  They also know that they will be at the last battle. So they see Rand as a kindred spirit one who hates the DO and kills shadowspawn they are indeed awed by him (but in a very wolfish/standoffish way).

The World of Dreams and the Wolf Dream are the same thing but seperated by a thin vale, perhaps they saw Rand when he was Lews Therin in the world of dreams? Or perhaps it is a title leftover from the War of the Shadow.

It being a title seems more likely.

• 5 months later...

i always thought the wolfnames that rand and the forsaken have r so old that the long name is forgotten

normally the 1st time we see a wolfname we get the short and long

but moonhunter and heart fang as well as shadowkiller never have a long name give

• 4 weeks later...

The wolves had names for Lanfear and Ishamael, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they had a name for LTT as well. Perhaps they didn't come close enough to Rand to recognize him until tGH. If LTT had a "wolfname" Shadowkiller would be my guess.

I wonder if any of the other Forsaken have wolf names?  So many of them do like to hang out in TAR, afterall.

Archived